Re: [rss-public] commentRSS vs. commentRss

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 16, 2006
      I understand Matt's frustration, but the only way forward is for everyone to
      agree on one correct case for that element and standardize it - that's what
      specs and standards are for. I would think the obvious choice is commentRss
      since that's what the spec has always said (even if the wfw page got it
      wrong for a long time), but it could be argued that Matt's interpretation
      has become a de facto standard.

      When there's ambiguity I'm usually all for choosing de facto standards above
      literally correct but unsupported spec interpretations. However in this case
      I've yet to see anyone present any evidence that Matt's interpretation is
      more widely supported. I've certainly seen both forms being used on
      different sites and I'm not sure about aggregator support yet (haven't had a
      chance to test).

      Ideally I'd like to see the spec author and the wfw people get together and
      come up with better documentation that acknowledges both forms for the
      element, suggests one preferred choice for producers and recommends
      supporting both for consumers. Unless/until that happens, though, I don't
      think the feedvalidator has much choice about reporting commentRSS as
      invalid.

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 16, 2006
        James Holderness wrote:

        > Ideally I'd like to see the spec author and the wfw people get together and
        > come up with better documentation that acknowledges both forms for the
        > element, suggests one preferred choice for producers and recommends
        > supporting both for consumers. Unless/until that happens, though, I don't
        > think the feedvalidator has much choice about reporting commentRSS as
        > invalid.

        I've downgraded it to a warning, and echoed essentially the same
        suggestions: that Joe update his page, that producers accept both, and
        that consumers produce the one preferred choice.

        As the documentation and/or defacto standards evolve, the Feed Validator
        will try to keep up (with the latter ever producing at most a warning).