Re: [rss-public] Re: data-types-url

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
      Sam Ruby wrote:
      > rcade wrote:
      >
      >>--- In rss-public@yahoogroups.com, Sam Ruby <rubys@...> wrote:
      >>
      >>>IRIs MUST be converted to URIs before being included in an RSS 2.0
      >>>document.
      >>
      >>I think that the following sentence in data-types-urls serves the same
      >>purpose without sounding like a new requirement for RSS implementers:
      >>
      >>These elements MUST NOT contain IRIs.
      >
      > I am fine with that wording,

      Upon further reflection, that sentence is misleading.

      The set of valid IRIs is a proper set supersets of the set of valid
      URIs. So disallowing IRIs would disallow URIs.

      The process defined for convering an IRI which is already a URI to a URI
      is a no-op.

      - Sam Ruby
    • A. Pagaltzis
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
        * Sam Ruby <rubys@...> [2006-03-01 13:15]:
        >The set of valid IRIs is a proper set supersets of the set of
        >valid URIs. So disallowing IRIs would disallow URIs.

        I think the correct wording for the spec would be that IRIs with
        non-ASCII characters MUST be given in their punycode-encoded URI
        representation.

        Regards,