Is the RSS Icon a Failure?

  • Rogers
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2011
      Mozilla is removing the orange RSS icon from the Address bar in Firefox and replacing it with a Bookmarks menu item called "Subscribe," as described in this blog post:

      http://camendesign.com/blog/rss_is_dying

      Here's Mozilla developer Asa Dotzler's take on why this is good:

      "The UI, as it was — a tiny orange button in the addressbar wasn't helping users use the feature so it was removed. Better UI, a menu item with a real description of what RSS does, 'subscribe' replaced it. That's a positive step, not a negative one. Though it may be encountered by fewer users, it will make much more sense to those who do encounter it."

      Although I like the RSS icon and look for it all the time on sites, I'm wondering whether it's too wonky to further broader mainstream usage of feeds. It's a good visual identifier for RSS but may not help convey what feeds are or why users should subscribe to them.

      Do you think the icon has been a failure?
    • scamden
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2011
        Not at all. I see variations on the classic icon on numerous individual sites that advertise their own feed. I think Mozilla is making a small mistake to abandon this iconic icon.