making rss from fb page?

  • J.D.W
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 19, 2010
      Hi-I am not a programmer but I am trying to make an rss feed from my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/people/Rescue-Volunteer/100000717094455 that I can post to my animal sanctuary blog page: www.firststop-laststop.com/myblog

      When I tried to just post the URL of my fb page as an rss, an error message appeared on my URL/blogpage.

      Any tipe/pointers/is this possible?

      Much thanks!
    • Virginia/Yahoo
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 29, 2010
        Hi, usually a rss feed ends in .xml & the file is named after your site (mine is http://www.bad-wolf.info/virginia'schristopherecclestonwebsitefeed.xml) you can't just post the url of your site as a feed, you'd either require FB's own feed for your site (if they do feeds) or create one manually or use an online feed creator.

        Virginia.

        Hi-I am not a programmer but I am trying to make an rss feed from my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/people/Rescue-Volunteer/100000717094455 that I can post to my animal sanctuary blog page: www.firststop-laststop.com/myblog

        When I tried to just post the URL of my fb page as an rss, an error message appeared on my URL/blogpage.

        Any tipe/pointers/is this possible?

        Much thanks!

      • Charles Iliya Krempeaux
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 29, 2010
          Hello,

          On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 12:49 PM, J.D.W <animalrescuevolunteer@...>wrote:

          > Hi-I am not a programmer but I am trying to make an rss feed from my
          > facebook page
          > http://www.facebook.com/people/Rescue-Volunteer/100000717094455 that I can
          > post to my animal sanctuary blog page: www.firststop-laststop.com/myblog
          >
          > When I tried to just post the URL of my fb page as an rss, an error message
          > appeared on my URL/blogpage.
          >
          > Any tipe/pointers/is this possible?

          This isn't the correct mailing list to ask these kind of questions, but (in
          an effort to be helpful) are you saying you tried using the exact URL below
          as an RSS feed?

          http://www.facebook.com/people/Rescue-Volunteer/100000717094455

          If that's the case, then I should say that, you can't just use any URL as an
          RSS feed. (That Facebook page URL outputs HTML and not RSS.) The URL must
          actually output RSS. For example, the URL below outputs RSS:

          http://changelog.ca/feed/rss

          If you look at it in FireFox, you will see that the browser "handles" it
          differently (than a URL that outputs HTML).

          --
          Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.
          http://changelog.ca/

          Everything a Web Developer or Web Designer Should Know - http://w3remix.com/

        • James Robertson
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2010
            Facebook already makes the news feed available that way:

            http://www.allfacebook.com/facebook-pages-rss-2010-01

            On Oct 19, 2010, at 3:49 PM, J.D.W wrote:

            > Hi-I am not a programmer but I am trying to make an rss feed from my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/people/Rescue-Volunteer/100000717094455 that I can post to my animal sanctuary blog page: www.firststop-laststop.com/myblog
            >
            > When I tried to just post the URL of my fb page as an rss, an error message appeared on my URL/blogpage.
            >
            > Any tipe/pointers/is this possible?
            >
            > Much thanks!

            James Robertson
            http://www.jarober.com
            jarober@...

          • FĂ©lix-Antoine Paradis
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 12, 2010
              It does not have to end in .xml. Thje content-type should be the right one. On my website, the same url can output json, html, xml and yaml

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 13, 2010
                Although FB uses the term "feed" for the postings that appear in your account, it's not an RSS feed at all. And FB doesn't want you to "take that feed elsewhere", they want you to bring your friends to your feed on FB ... and they hope your encouragement to them will drive non-members of FB to get sign up ... viral growth and all that.

                Here's a better way. Post you item on an RSS feed separate from FB, then post your items from that feed to FB by 'sharing' it to your account. Each time you post a new item on your feed, "share" it on FB and you will get ongoing attention.

                If you use Enfeedia.com to publish your RSS feed, each item will include a facebook "share" button (as well as a LinkedIn "share" button and a StumbleUpon "recommendation" button). Simply click that FB share button and you can easily post the item to your FB account. You are also given an opportunity to post a comment about the item, so, for example, besides your FB friends seeing the item you are sharing, they will also see your comment. For example, "Here's some news I just posted on my website, check the details at http://......"

                With this strategy, you can write your item once (your own RSS feed) then share it all over the place without having to rewrite it. :-)

                Enfeedia Feed Publishing Service
                www.enfeedia.com
                RSS NEWS