XML namespace for repurposing RSS elements?

  • Mason
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2009
      Hi folks--

      Didn't get any response before, so just wanted to try one more time:

      Is anyone at RssBoard interested in providing an XML namespace for RSS 2.0, for when RSS elements need to be nested inside other XML? I've seen it mentioned on this group before.

      Having a namespace would allow for the structure and meaning of RSS to be used inside XML documents other than RSS. See: http://masonlee.org/2009/09/11/rsscloud-atom-extension/ as an example of one such use.

      Of course, RssBoard.org suggesting a namespace for easier embedding of RSS 2.0 elements would not affect RSS 2.0 in anyway. RSS 2.0 documents would continue to *require* no namespace.

      This seems to me well within the scope of an organization like RSS board.

      Cheers,

      Mason Lee
      http://masonlee.org
    • Rogers Cadenhead
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2009
        Randy Charles Morin and I have been working on draft documentation for an
        RSS namespace.
        Here's a link to it:

        http://www.rssboard.org/rss-namespace

        As the docs state, it has not been approved by the board yet and is offered
        for discussion purposes only. We'd love to get feedback on it.

        If anyone has one or two more examples of how RSS could be used in another
        XML dialect, that would be helpful.

      • Mason
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 7, 2009
          Hey, that's really great!

          (Turns out there were many good responses to my earlier post that I missed because my subscription notifications to this list are not what I thought. Embarrassing!)

          I have some comments regarding the namespace choice: "http://www.rssboard.org/rss-namespace"

          1. The RSS version should probably be included in the namespace URL.

          2. The year 2009 perhaps should be included in the namespace URL to mitigate the fact that ownership of domain names changes hands and URLs may get repurposed. I think what you want is a namespace that will be globally unique forever--even if there is no document hosted there in the future. Using the year helps out future owners of the domain.

          Some real-world examples:

          http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema
          http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom
          http://xml.apache.org/xmlbeans/2004/02/xbean/config

          (Though there are plenty of counter examples!)

          For these reasons, I believe a better namespace URL is something like:

          http://www.rssboard.org/2009/rss2.0

          But at least:

          http://www.rssboard.org/rss2.0-namespace

          Thanks for all this!