Re: [Fwd: Re: [rss-media] Specification currently lists the wrong namespace]

  • Ryan Parman
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4 8:53 AM
      Sapna, et al:

      Several months back, there was discussion about placing the
      custodianship of the Media RSS spec with the RSS Advisory Board. The
      folks at Yahoo! at the time had consented that it was a good idea (I
      believe this was Jeremy Zawdony, IIRC), but there never seemed to be
      any forward progress on that initiative.

      My concern stems from the fact that the Media RSS spec has been broken/
      incorrect multiple times now under Yahoo!'s custodianship. This is a
      spec that many people depend on, and speaking as the developer of the
      SimplePie RSS parser, arbitrarily changing the namespace URL
      substantially affects our ability to handle Media RSS feeds. (We
      already have to normalize the two different Media RSS namespace URLs
      that are floating around: one with, and one without the trailing slash
      -- which was broken for over a year.)

      I would really like to see the RSS Advisory Board pass a resolution to
      publish the namespace documentation on its site with the proper
      longtime namespace URI. Netscape trusted the board to oversee RSS 0.90
      and RSS 0.91, and I would hope that Yahoo! would be able to see that
      this transfer of custodianship would be a Good Thing� for the Media
      RSS community.

      Future changes to the spec could be handled by the Media RSS
      community, of which Yahoo! and others could be a part.

      Thoughts?

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 11 12:15 PM
        --- In rss-public@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Parman <ryan.lists.warpshare@...> wrote:
        > I would really like to see the RSS Advisory Board pass a resolution to
        > publish the namespace documentation on its site with the proper
        > longtime namespace URI. Netscape trusted the board to oversee RSS 0.90
        > and RSS 0.91, and I would hope that Yahoo! would be able to see that
        > this transfer of custodianship would be a Good Thing™ for the Media
        > RSS community.

        I favor this proposal and will work up a draft for consideration by the board. The RSS Advisory Board has been around for years and has proven to be a useful place for specs and other documentation related to RSS. We've recently moved the site to its own server -- taking it off my own -- to ensure its continued availability. We could publish the spec under any terms desired by Yahoo and the Media RSS community.