Issue with using https within enclosure tags - won't validate the feed

  • jalexander_digipen
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2 1:42 PM
      So my company has a few RSS feeds within our Typo3 tt_news site which
      when I run through the W3C validation most of them validate, except our
      podcast feeds. I get this error:

      This feed does not validate.

      line 37, column 3: url must be a full URL:
      https://www.digipen.edu/uploads/media/digipen_podclass_issue_33.mp3 (10
      occurrences) [help]

      <enclosure
      url="https://www.digipen.edu/uploads/media/digipen_podclass_is ...

      The weird thing is when I take out the "s" from the links within the
      enclosure tags. (So it looks like this:
      http://www.digipen.edu/uploads/media/digipen_podclass_issue_33.mp3) It
      will validate the feed.

      So my question is has anyone had any issue with putting https links
      within the enclosure tags and not having it validate with the feed
      validator? I am curious as to why it would do this, we believe we can
      fix it. We just want to why it could be doing this.

      Any help would be great,

      Thanks in advance,

      Jason

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6 3:36 PM
        jalexander_digipen wrote:
        > So my question is has anyone had any issue with putting https links
        > within the enclosure tags and not having it validate with the feed
        > validator? I am curious as to why it would do this, we believe we can
        > fix it. We just want to why it could be doing this.

        According to the RSS specification, the url of an enclosure must be an http
        url.[1] Using https is simply not valid.

        Now it's possible that an https link will still work with some clients, but
        it wouldn't be valid. For best results, I would recommend sticking with what
        the specification allows.

        [1]
        http://www.rssboard.org/rss-specification#ltenclosuregtSubelementOfLtitemgt