Re: [rss-public] Re: RSS : a "namespace" in itself ?

  • Geoffrey Sneddon
    Message 1 of 42 , Feb 5, 2009
      On 4 Feb 2009, at 04:57, rcade wrote:

      > Reading that post and Randy's PSS 0.9 draft, I agree that we need a
      > way to use RSS elements in other XML dialects. But I'm not convinced
      > that the simplest way to do this would be to create a new format.
      >
      > I think we should consider adding a sentence to the end of the
      > Extending RSS section [1]:
      >
      > "Using RSS elements in other XML dialects requires the namespace
      > declaration "http://www.rssboard.org/rss-namespace/". This declaration
      > MUST NOT be used in an RSS document."

      To give my opinion as an implementer: do we really need another feed
      format? Effectively, aggregators have support RSS 0.90, RSS 2.0, Atom
      0.3, and Atom 1.0 — do we really have to add RSS-2.0-in-a-namespace to
      that list?

      Although we wouldn't have to support it as a feed format per-se, what
      we would have to do would amount to supporting it for everything
      except as a root element (for the sake of supporting, e.g., {http://www.rssboard.org/rss-namespace/
      }title within an Atom document). I'm also dubious about that "MUST
      NOT" — history has taught us content creators often ignore specs, and
      I would not be surprised if we had to add support for it as a document
      format (though with support for it within Atom that'd mainly be an
      already sunk cost).

      Furthermore, I'm doubtful of the real need for RSS-in-a-namespace:
      what does RSS-in-a-namespace give us that Atom can't already do?
      Unless a good answer can be found to that question, I'm against
      creating (what amounts to) another XML format.

      --
      Geoffrey Sneddon
      <http://gsnedders.com/>
      Message 42 of 42 , Feb 12, 2009
        Awesome! I think then that most of us are in agreement, we just need
        to decide whether to go with the userland or rssboard namespace. I'm
        going to start a brand new thread (this one is too loud to follow).

        Randy