Re: [rss-public] Re: RSS : a "namespace" in itself ?

  • Geoffrey Sneddon
    Message 1 of 42 , Feb 5 10:42 AM
      On 5 Feb 2009, at 05:20, James Holderness wrote:

      > rcade wrote:
      >> I look forward to seeing the results of your test,
      >
      > Results now up on my blog:
      > http://www.xn--8ws00zhy3a.com/blog/2009/02/a-namespace-for-rss

      FWIW, SimplePie used to support the Userland namespace, but dropped
      support for it seeming it was used nowhere and does have a cost. It
      appears (looking with grep…) to have been introduced for 1.0 Beta 2
      and removed for 1.0 RC1 (i.e., the last release with support was 1.0
      Beta 3 Bugfix 2). However, these versions oddly seem to match
      element's expanded names case-insensitively (I'm sure I thought there
      was some good compat. reason for this at the time). Furthermore,
      versions prior to 1.0 Beta 2 (though maybe not 0.8, but I never had
      anything to do with that) will have worked with all but the prefixed
      variations (due to not using a namespace-aware XML parser).

      To my knowledge, nothing broke by moving to a namespace-aware parser,
      and nothing broke removing support for the Userland namespace.

      --
      Geoffrey Sneddon
      <http://gsnedders.com/>
      Message 42 of 42 , Feb 12 8:41 PM
        Awesome! I think then that most of us are in agreement, we just need
        to decide whether to go with the userland or rssboard namespace. I'm
        going to start a brand new thread (this one is too loud to follow).

        Randy