Re: [rss-public] Re: RSS : a "namespace" in itself ?

    Message 1 of 42 , Feb 4, 2009
      rcade wrote:
      > I look forward to seeing the results of your test,

      Results now up on my blog:
      http://www.xn--8ws00zhy3a.com/blog/2009/02/a-namespace-for-rss

      > but since that URI
      > was used to define a namespace for RSS 2.0, won't that be received as
      > an encouragement to do exactly that?

      I wouldn't think so. I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that
      Dave experimented with it briefly in his feed, but never formally proposed
      it be used for anything.

      > Also, that URI lacks a trailing slash, and it's not under our control,
      > so we can't educate anyone who requests it in a browser on the proper
      > and improper use of namespace declarations in RSS.

      I don't see the value of a trailing slash - the Atom namespace doesn't have
      one and that has never been an issue AFAIK. The fact that it's not under the
      board's control is a valid point though.

      However, given that the namespace is in use in the wild and is conciously
      supported by at least a few feed readers, I think creating a new namespace
      assigned to the same set of elements is a bad idea. We could end up with the
      same chaos we have with the Yahoo media rss extension, with different people
      using different namespaces, and it'll end up an interoperability nightmare.

      Message 42 of 42 , Feb 12, 2009
        Awesome! I think then that most of us are in agreement, we just need
        to decide whether to go with the userland or rssboard namespace. I'm
        going to start a brand new thread (this one is too loud to follow).

        Randy