Re: [rss-public] Re: FriendFeed's Simple Update Protocol

  • Charles Iliya Krempeaux
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 7, 2008
      Hello,

      On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 5:13 PM, rcade <cadenhead@...> wrote:
      > --- In rss-public@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Iliya Krempeaux"
      >
      > <supercanadian@...> wrote:

      [...]

      > Are you aware of any IRI-based relationships that are currently in use
      > employing atom:link in feeds?

      Well, obviously anyone can create an Atom
      URL/URI/IRI/whatever-you-want-to-call-them "rel" extension... and I've
      even done it for "in house" software. But I'm guessing you mean ones
      in the wild. Well there's SUP. Atom threading was initially
      done/proposed that way too I think. (See:
      http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-atom10.html for
      example.) But I don't really know of any others.

      --
      Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.
      http://changelog.ca/
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 7, 2008
        rcade wrote:

        > Also, neither RSS 1.0 nor RSS 2.0 allows multiple channel-link tags,
        > so this would only be valid in an Atom feed.

        Neither place any limits on the number of atom:link elements in such
        contexts. Atom links with a rel="self" are already commonplace in RSS
        2.0 feeds.

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 7, 2008
          --- In rss-public@yahoogroups.com, Sam Ruby <rubys@...> wrote:
          > Neither place any limits on the number of atom:link elements in such
          > contexts. Atom links with a rel="self" are already commonplace in
          > RSS 2.0 feeds.

          True. But the documentation for SUP doesn't say that RSS publishers
          should use atom:link in their feeds to define a provider. The docs
          just say to add a link tag.
        • Charles Iliya Krempeaux
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 7, 2008
            Hello

            On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 8:45 AM, rcade <cadenhead@...> wrote:
            > After posting I found an alternative idea employed by Six Apart -- an
            > update stream in Atom format with updates from any TypePad or Vox blog:
            >
            > http://updates.sixapart.com/
            >
            > There's also something Radio UserLand does -- a channel-category tag:
            >
            > <category
            > domain="http://rpc.weblogs.com/shortChanges.xml">rssUpdates>/category>
            >
            > The domain is a changes.xml file on a Weblogs.Com-style ping server.

            Seems like quite the hack.

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 7, 2008
              rcade wrote:
              > Are you aware of any IRI-based relationships that are currently in use
              > employing atom:link in feeds?

              I know Google uses IRI-based relationships in number of their feeds. Have a
              look on Google calendar and Picasa for some examples.

              Not that I'd necessarily recommend anything that Google is doing, but if
              you're just looking for examples...