Re: FriendFeed's Simple Update Protocol

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 6, 2008
      --- In rss-public@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Iliya Krempeaux"
      <supercanadian@...> wrote:
      > AFAIK, Atom requires you to use URLs for non-standard "rel" attribute
      > values. So what SUP is doing for the "rel" attribute is correct.

      Interesting -- I wasn't aware of that. I tried to check it in the Atom
      format spec, but I don't understand this sentence:

      "The value of "rel" MUST be a string that is non-empty and matches
      either the "isegment-nz-nc" or the "IRI" production in [RFC3987]."

      http://www.atomenabled.org/developers/syndication/atom-format-spec.php#element.link

      Which part of that means it's OK to define new relationships as IRIs
      instead of getting IANA approval for your new rel value?

      > <atom:link rel="http://api.friendfeed.com/2008/03#sup"
      > href="http://friendfeed.com/api/sup.json#53924729"
      > type="application/json" />

      Are you aware of any IRI-based relationships that are currently in use
      employing atom:link in feeds?
    • Aristotle Pagaltzis
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 7, 2008
        * rcade <cadenhead@...> [2008-12-07 02:15]:
        > I tried to check it in the Atom format spec, but I don't
        > understand this sentence:
        >
        > "The value of "rel" MUST be a string that is non-empty and
        > matches either the "isegment-nz-nc" or the "IRI" production in
        > [RFC3987]."
        >
        > http://www.atomenabled.org/developers/syndication/atom-format-spec.php#element.link
        >
        > Which part of that means it's OK to define new relationships as
        > IRIs instead of getting IANA approval for your new rel value?

        The sentence directly following that one.

        If a name is given, implementations MUST consider the link
        relation type equivalent to the same name registered within
        the IANA Registry of Link Relations (Section 7), and thus to
        the IRI that would be obtained by appending the value of the
        rel attribute to the string
        "http://www.iana.org/assignments/relation/".

        IANA is the authority for iana.org URIs, but you are free to use
        your own.

        Regards,
      • Charles Iliya Krempeaux
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 7, 2008
          Hello,

          On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 5:13 PM, rcade <cadenhead@...> wrote:
          > --- In rss-public@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Iliya Krempeaux"
          >
          > <supercanadian@...> wrote:

          [...]

          > Are you aware of any IRI-based relationships that are currently in use
          > employing atom:link in feeds?

          Well, obviously anyone can create an Atom
          URL/URI/IRI/whatever-you-want-to-call-them "rel" extension... and I've
          even done it for "in house" software. But I'm guessing you mean ones
          in the wild. Well there's SUP. Atom threading was initially
          done/proposed that way too I think. (See:
          http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-atom10.html for
          example.) But I don't really know of any others.

          --
          Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.
          http://changelog.ca/
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 7, 2008
            rcade wrote:

            > Also, neither RSS 1.0 nor RSS 2.0 allows multiple channel-link tags,
            > so this would only be valid in an Atom feed.

            Neither place any limits on the number of atom:link elements in such
            contexts. Atom links with a rel="self" are already commonplace in RSS
            2.0 feeds.

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 7, 2008
              --- In rss-public@yahoogroups.com, Sam Ruby <rubys@...> wrote:
              > Neither place any limits on the number of atom:link elements in such
              > contexts. Atom links with a rel="self" are already commonplace in
              > RSS 2.0 feeds.

              True. But the documentation for SUP doesn't say that RSS publishers
              should use atom:link in their feeds to define a provider. The docs
              just say to add a link tag.
            • Charles Iliya Krempeaux
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 7, 2008
                Hello

                On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 8:45 AM, rcade <cadenhead@...> wrote:
                > After posting I found an alternative idea employed by Six Apart -- an
                > update stream in Atom format with updates from any TypePad or Vox blog:
                >
                > http://updates.sixapart.com/
                >
                > There's also something Radio UserLand does -- a channel-category tag:
                >
                > <category
                > domain="http://rpc.weblogs.com/shortChanges.xml">rssUpdates>/category>
                >
                > The domain is a changes.xml file on a Weblogs.Com-style ping server.

                Seems like quite the hack.

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 7, 2008
                  rcade wrote:
                  > Are you aware of any IRI-based relationships that are currently in use
                  > employing atom:link in feeds?

                  I know Google uses IRI-based relationships in number of their feeds. Have a
                  look on Google calendar and Picasa for some examples.

                  Not that I'd necessarily recommend anything that Google is doing, but if
                  you're just looking for examples...