Re: [rss-public] Re: How to encode comments in a hierarchical manner?

  • Gregory Solovyev
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 13, 2008
      Thanks Randy, looks like wfw:commentRss addresses this need: http://wellformedweb.org/news/wfw_namespace_elements/

      ----- Original Message ----
      From: Randy Morin <randy@...>
      To: rss-public@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2008 9:30:49 PM
      Subject: [rss-public] Re: How to encode comments in a hierarchical manner?

      The most common implementation of what you are looking for is Comment
      API
      http://www.google com/search? q=+site:wellform edweb.org+ comment+api
      Thanks,

      Randy
      http://www.thersswe blog.com

      --- In rss-public@yahoogro ups.com, "grishick" <grishick@.. .> wrote:

      > Many blog platforms allow to post a comment as a response to another
      > comment. Is there a way to encode the hierarchy of responses in RSS?
      > From what I can see RSS2 only has <comments> element that points to a
      > page with comments. But it seems to be useful to have a <comment>
      > element with the ability to include another <comment> element within a
      > comment element, or to be able to include a reference to the parent
      > <comment> element.

    • scamden
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 15, 2008
        Unless I'm missing something, I don't think that either wfw:comment or
        wfw:commentRss answer grishick's original question. He wants a way to
        embed comments within the feed, and provide linkages from child to
        parent comment when threaded.

        When I migrated my blogging platform, I was disappointed with the lack
        of any specification for embedding comments directly in a feed, so I
        extended RSS with my own namespace to include that. At the time,
        though, I didn't have threaded comments, so I didn't include that in
        my grammar. It seems like a completely unanswered question (unless
        I'm failing to see a big elephant in the room).

        --- In rss-public@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Solovyev <grishick@...>
        wrote:

        > Thanks Randy, looks like wfw:commentRss addresses this need:
        http://wellformedweb.org/news/wfw_namespace_elements/

      • James M Snell
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 15, 2008
          Unless I am missing the point, the Atom Threading Extension (RFC 4685)
          can be used to accomplish this. While designed for use with Atom,
          there's no reason that it cannot be used with RSS.

          - James

          scamden wrote:

          > Unless I'm missing something, I don't think that either wfw:comment or
          > wfw:commentRss answer grishick's original question. He wants a way to
          > embed comments within the feed, and provide linkages from child to
          > parent comment when threaded.
          >
          > When I migrated my blogging platform, I was disappointed with the lack
          > of any specification for embedding comments directly in a feed, so I
          > extended RSS with my own namespace to include that. At the time,
          > though, I didn't have threaded comments, so I didn't include that in
          > my grammar. It seems like a completely unanswered question (unless
          > I'm failing to see a big elephant in the room).
          >
          > --- In rss-public@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:rss-public%40yahoogroups.com>, Gregory Solovyev <grishick@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Thanks Randy, looks like wfw:commentRss addresses this need:
          > http://wellformedweb.org/news/wfw_namespace_elements/
          > <http://wellformedweb.org/news/wfw_namespace_elements/>

        • scamden
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 15, 2008
            Yes, it looks like "thr:in-reply-to" should do the trick, both for
            original comments and for comments on comments.

            --- In rss-public@yahoogroups.com, James M Snell <jasnell@...> wrote:

            > Unless I am missing the point, the Atom Threading Extension (RFC
            4685)
            > can be used to accomplish this. While designed for use with Atom,
            > there's no reason that it cannot be used with RSS.
            >
            > - James
            >
            > scamden wrote:
            > >
            > > Unless I'm missing something, I don't think that either
            wfw:comment or
            > > wfw:commentRss answer grishick's original question. He wants a way
            > > embed comments within the feed, and provide linkages from child to
            > > parent comment when threaded.
            > >
            > > When I migrated my blogging platform, I was disappointed with the
            lack
            > > of any specification for embedding comments directly in a feed, so
            > > extended RSS with my own namespace to include that. At the time,
            > > though, I didn't have threaded comments, so I didn't include that
            in
            > > my grammar. It seems like a completely unanswered question (unless
            > > I'm failing to see a big elephant in the room).
            > >
            > > --- In rss-public@yahoogroups.com
            > > <mailto:rss-public%40yahoogroups.com>, Gregory Solovyev
            <grishick@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Thanks Randy, looks like wfw:commentRss addresses this need:
            > > http://wellformedweb.org/news/wfw_namespace_elements/
            > > <http://wellformedweb.org/news/wfw_namespace_elements/>

          • grishick
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 15, 2008
              Thanks! RFC 4685 actually does answer my question fully. I was going
              to add something like thr:in-reply-to to my feeds, but now there is no
              reason to not use standard thr:in-reply-to tag.
              Greg