Re: How to encode comments in a hierarchical manner?

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 13 9:30 PM
      The most common implementation of what you are looking for is Comment
      API
      http://www.google.com/search?q=+site:wellformedweb.org+comment+api
      Thanks,

      Randy
      http://www.therssweblog.com

      --- In rss-public@yahoogroups.com, "grishick" <grishick@...> wrote:

      > Many blog platforms allow to post a comment as a response to another
      > comment. Is there a way to encode the hierarchy of responses in RSS?
      > From what I can see RSS2 only has <comments> element that points to a
      > page with comments. But it seems to be useful to have a <comment>
      > element with the ability to include another <comment> element within a
      > comment element, or to be able to include a reference to the parent
      > <comment> element.

    • Gregory Solovyev
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 13 11:16 PM
        Thanks Randy, looks like wfw:commentRss addresses this need: http://wellformedweb.org/news/wfw_namespace_elements/

        The most common implementation of what you are looking for is Comment
        API
        http://www.google com/search? q=+site:wellform edweb.org+ comment+api
        Thanks,

        Randy
        http://www.thersswe blog.com

        --- In rss-public@yahoogro ups.com, "grishick" <grishick@.. .> wrote:

        > Many blog platforms allow to post a comment as a response to another
        > comment. Is there a way to encode the hierarchy of responses in RSS?
        > From what I can see RSS2 only has <comments> element that points to a
        > page with comments. But it seems to be useful to have a <comment>
        > element with the ability to include another <comment> element within a
        > comment element, or to be able to include a reference to the parent
        > <comment> element.

      • scamden
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 15 3:29 PM
          Unless I'm missing something, I don't think that either wfw:comment or
          wfw:commentRss answer grishick's original question. He wants a way to
          embed comments within the feed, and provide linkages from child to
          parent comment when threaded.

          When I migrated my blogging platform, I was disappointed with the lack
          of any specification for embedding comments directly in a feed, so I
          extended RSS with my own namespace to include that. At the time,
          though, I didn't have threaded comments, so I didn't include that in
          my grammar. It seems like a completely unanswered question (unless
          I'm failing to see a big elephant in the room).

          --- In rss-public@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Solovyev <grishick@...>
          wrote:

          > Thanks Randy, looks like wfw:commentRss addresses this need:
          http://wellformedweb.org/news/wfw_namespace_elements/

        • James M Snell
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 15 3:39 PM
            Unless I am missing the point, the Atom Threading Extension (RFC 4685)
            can be used to accomplish this. While designed for use with Atom,
            there's no reason that it cannot be used with RSS.

            - James

            scamden wrote:

            > Unless I'm missing something, I don't think that either wfw:comment or
            > wfw:commentRss answer grishick's original question. He wants a way to
            > embed comments within the feed, and provide linkages from child to
            > parent comment when threaded.
            >
            > When I migrated my blogging platform, I was disappointed with the lack
            > of any specification for embedding comments directly in a feed, so I
            > extended RSS with my own namespace to include that. At the time,
            > though, I didn't have threaded comments, so I didn't include that in
            > my grammar. It seems like a completely unanswered question (unless
            > I'm failing to see a big elephant in the room).
            >
            > --- In rss-public@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:rss-public%40yahoogroups.com>, Gregory Solovyev <grishick@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks Randy, looks like wfw:commentRss addresses this need:
            > http://wellformedweb.org/news/wfw_namespace_elements/
            > <http://wellformedweb.org/news/wfw_namespace_elements/>

          • scamden
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 15 4:25 PM
              Yes, it looks like "thr:in-reply-to" should do the trick, both for
              original comments and for comments on comments.

              --- In rss-public@yahoogroups.com, James M Snell <jasnell@...> wrote:

              > Unless I am missing the point, the Atom Threading Extension (RFC
              4685)
              > can be used to accomplish this. While designed for use with Atom,
              > there's no reason that it cannot be used with RSS.
              >
              > - James
              >
              > scamden wrote:
              > >
              > > Unless I'm missing something, I don't think that either
              wfw:comment or
              > > wfw:commentRss answer grishick's original question. He wants a way
              > > embed comments within the feed, and provide linkages from child to
              > > parent comment when threaded.
              > >
              > > When I migrated my blogging platform, I was disappointed with the
              lack
              > > of any specification for embedding comments directly in a feed, so
              > > extended RSS with my own namespace to include that. At the time,
              > > though, I didn't have threaded comments, so I didn't include that
              in
              > > my grammar. It seems like a completely unanswered question (unless
              > > I'm failing to see a big elephant in the room).
              > >
              > > --- In rss-public@yahoogroups.com
              > > <mailto:rss-public%40yahoogroups.com>, Gregory Solovyev
              <grishick@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Thanks Randy, looks like wfw:commentRss addresses this need:
              > > http://wellformedweb.org/news/wfw_namespace_elements/
              > > <http://wellformedweb.org/news/wfw_namespace_elements/>

            • grishick
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 15 6:41 PM
                Thanks! RFC 4685 actually does answer my question fully. I was going
                to add something like thr:in-reply-to to my feeds, but now there is no
                reason to not use standard thr:in-reply-to tag.
                Greg