feedvalidator.org turned into a biased and untrustworthy resource

  • Clinton Gallagher
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 9, 2008
      I don't like the idea that this particular feed validator flags and calls
      our namespace "unknown" and marks it up --indicating-- an error and
      --implying-- something is wrong with it. If the code is well-formed leave it
      alone and quit playing elitist asshole politics unless you have a
      methodology to determine and test the XML namespace for VALIDITY not its
      POPULARITY NO DIFFERENT THAN ASSHOLE POLITICIANS DO TO CAST ASPERSIONS ON
      COMPETITION.

      Secondly, marking up the results of one of the feeds my software generates
      as an error to notify and advise the use of an atom:link is also an
      underhanded way to recommend what you believe should be done regardless of
      the veracity of what you contend. Marking my work up as an error?

      Why are you are spray painting yellow graffiti on my work?

      //example
      http://metromilwaukee.com/feeds/rsstestnamespaces.xml
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 9, 2008
        Clinton Gallagher wrote:

        > I don't like the idea that this particular feed validator flags and calls
        > our namespace "unknown" and marks it up --indicating-- an error and
        > --implying-- something is wrong with it. If the code is well-formed leave it
        > alone and quit playing elitist asshole politics unless you have a
        > methodology to determine and test the XML namespace for VALIDITY not its
        > POPULARITY NO DIFFERENT THAN ASSHOLE POLITICIANS DO TO CAST ASPERSIONS ON
        > COMPETITION.

        First, it does *not* mark the feed as an error.

        Second, did you follow the provided [help] link?

        http://feedvalidator.org/docs/warning/UnknownNamespace.html

        If you did, it tells you how to provide feedback on this issue, and what
        information would be helpful to provide.

        > Secondly, marking up the results of one of the feeds my software generates
        > as an error to notify and advise the use of an atom:link is also an
        > underhanded way to recommend what you believe should be done regardless of
        > the veracity of what you contend. Marking my work up as an error?

        Again, this is clearly not marked an error.

        And again, did you follow the provided [help] link on that message
        either? It provides a brief summary of why this message was provided,
        complete with links as to where you can find more information. In the
        case of that particular message, this mailing list is the right place to
        inquire further on the topic.

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 9, 2008
          As Sam said, the two issues are warnings, not errors.

          I run into the "unknown namespace" warning on my own feeds, because I
          use a personal namespace in some blog software I've coded. I've never
          heard from a reader of my feeds who has a concern about the warning.

          The atom:link warning is reflective of the decision to use the RSS
          Profile's recommendations in the Feed Validator. I think that's a good
          policy, because the profile and validator compliment each other.

          In this case, you're well-versed in the issues involved with unknown
          namespaces, atom:link and RSS validation. So none of the warnings
          could have thrown you for a loop personally. Are you upset because
          users are complaining?
        • James M Snell
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 9, 2008
            I'm sorry, why exactly is it a problem for the validator to explicitly
            indicate that there is a part of the feed it is incapable of validating?
            That's all the unknown namespace warning does.

            - James

            Clinton Gallagher wrote:

            > I don't like the idea that this particular feed validator flags and calls
            > our namespace "unknown" and marks it up --indicating-- an error and
            > --implying-- something is wrong with it. If the code is well-formed leave it
            > alone and quit playing elitist asshole politics unless you have a
            > methodology to determine and test the XML namespace for VALIDITY not its
            > POPULARITY NO DIFFERENT THAN ASSHOLE POLITICIANS DO TO CAST ASPERSIONS ON
            > COMPETITION.
            >
            > Secondly, marking up the results of one of the feeds my software generates
            > as an error to notify and advise the use of an atom:link is also an
            > underhanded way to recommend what you believe should be done regardless of
            > the veracity of what you contend. Marking my work up as an error?
            >
            > Why are you are spray painting yellow graffiti on my work?
            >
            > //example
            > http://metromilwaukee.com/feeds/rsstestnamespaces.xml
            > <http://metromilwaukee.com/feeds/rsstestnamespaces.xml>

          • Bill Kearney
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 10, 2008
              Um, Clinton, perhaps there's a better way to approach this?

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 10, 2008
                rcade wrote:

                > As Sam said, the two issues are warnings, not errors.
                >
                > I run into the "unknown namespace" warning on my own feeds, because I
                > use a personal namespace in some blog software I've coded. I've never
                > heard from a reader of my feeds who has a concern about the warning.

                Me too, and me neither:

                http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fintertwingly.net%2Fblog%2Fcomments.atom

                > The atom:link warning is reflective of the decision to use the RSS
                > Profile's recommendations in the Feed Validator. I think that's a good
                > policy, because the profile and validator compliment each other.

                This is not about standing together. If the RSS Advisory board choses
                not to defend the choices made in constructing the profile, over time
                these messages will be dropped.

                For now, it stands. Not merely because it is in a profile. But because
                the recommendation not only is accompanied by rationale, and furthermore
                because this rationale has been evaluated and accepted by the likes of
                FeedBurner and WordPress. (FeedBurner prior to the publication of the
                profile, WordPress subsequent to the publication, and IIRC, as a direct
                result of the profile)

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 10, 2008
                  --- In rss-public@yahoogroups.com, Sam Ruby <rubys@...> wrote:
                  > (FeedBurner prior to the publication of the profile, WordPress
                  > subsequent to the publication, and IIRC, as a direct result of the
                  profile)

                  Six Apart also implemented atom:link in Typepad and Movable Type as a
                  direct result of the profile.