last call comments: language tags and URIs?

  • Addison Phillips
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2008
      Hi,

      In message 1720 I asked/complained about the handling of language tags
      in RSS 2.0 best practices and specification. The links provided (to
      W3C, Netscape, Library of Congress) are outdated and no mention is
      made of the actual standard used to define these language values (IETF
      BCP 47, RFC 4646).

      In addition, on the URI list (uri@...), there is some question
      about whether URLs in RSS correspond to the definition in XML (that
      is, something called a "legacy encoded IRI") or to "pure" URIs. This
      is important as it relates to how non-ASCII domain names and path
      values are handled.

      Best Regards,

      Addison Phillips
      Globalization Architect, Lab126
      Chair, W3C Internationalization Core WG
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 30, 2008
        Addison Phillips wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > In message 1720 I asked/complained about the handling of language tags
        > in RSS 2.0 best practices and specification. The links provided (to
        > W3C, Netscape, Library of Congress) are outdated and no mention is
        > made of the actual standard used to define these language values (IETF
        > BCP 47, RFC 4646).

        The feed validator uses the following:

        http://feedvalidator.org/docs/error/InvalidLanguage.html

        > In addition, on the URI list (uri@... <mailto:uri%40w3.org>), there
        > is some question
        > about whether URLs in RSS correspond to the definition in XML (that
        > is, something called a "legacy encoded IRI") or to "pure" URIs. This
        > is important as it relates to how non-ASCII domain names and path
        > values are handled.

        Link to the discussion:

        http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/uri/2008Jun/0117.html