Re: Last Call on the RSS Profile

  • kuhnbr
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27, 2007
      To improve the ability of feed aggregators/readers to determine when a
      channel has been updated, I would add a Recommendations section
      to both lastBuildDate and pubDate for channel to recommend that the
      pubDate and lastBuildDate SHOULD be present.

      It might also be useful to explicitly define in the channel
      item requirements the two scenarios of what a channel item might
      represent, e.g. a 'story item' versus a 'complete item'.

      For story items, my understanding of "An item may represent a
      'story' -- much like a story in a newspaper or magazine; if so its
      description is a synopsis of the story, and the link points to the
      full story." and "...at least one of title or description must be
      present" is that link and title MUST be present,
      while description is optional (but recommended).

      For complete items, my understanding of "An item may also be
      complete in itself, if so, the description contains the text
      (entity-encoded HTML is allowed; see examples), and the link and title
      may be omitted." is that description MUST be present and
      contain the full content for the item while title and
      link are optional.

      I think "xmlns:content="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" is a
      typo, shouldn't it be "xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" ?

      Thanks for all of the great work you have out into fleshing out the
      RSS 2.0 specification, the RSS profile should make it easier for feed
      aggregators to support a common feature set.
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2007
        These should be added to v1.1 of the profile. We need to get v1 out
        the door ASAP as we've are already late delivering. At this point, we
        should only be considering errors and typos like the Atom namespace
        issue.
        Thanks,

        Randy