Re: [rss-public] Some useless RSS statistics

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 13, 2006
      Jeff Barr wrote:
      > James, I could definitely cook up some more interesting and/or
      > representative data for you if you would like.

      Thanks for the offer. That would be really great.

      > For example I could collect up several days worth of feed URLs that I
      > receive as part of ping processing. On a
      > regular day I get about 1 million pings and about 1/3 of them include a
      > reference to a feed.

      There are two main concerns for me. One is making sure the feeds are alive
      and valid - I was assuming the feeds marked as "syndicated" would fall into
      that category, but I couldn't see any way to filter on status when I d/led
      the OPML list. My other big concern (in fact my biggest concern) is
      filtering out multiple feeds from the same host server. If you could
      eliminate host duplicates on your side that would save me a huge amount of
      wasted download.

      > It would be easy for me to package up and send you as many of these as
      > you would like.

      50000 was the number I was aiming for initially. If you could provide a
      "clean" list of 50000 feeds from unique hosts I'd be in heaven. Whether that
      would be truly representative of feed usage on the Internet I don't really
      know. If you have any other ideas for making the data more representative
      I'm open to suggestions.