Valid RSS 2.0 and Yahoo Groups

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
      Yahoo Groups produces invalid author elements in its RSS 2.0 feeds --
      they aren't valid e-mail addresses.

      Though this is a minor error for most consumers of the feeds, the RSS
      Advisory Board doesn't inspire much confidence by using invalid feeds.

      I wrote a PHP script that fixes the error, producing what should be
      valid feeds for both of our lists:

      http://www.rssboard.org/yahoo-groups-feed/rss-public
      http://www.rssboard.org/yahoo-groups-feed/rss-board

      Users can subscribe to these URLs to read feeds that should be valid.
      They're written using the Magpie RSS Parser for PHP.

      The script caches feeds for 10 minutes and fixes three errors:

      1. The author element is transformed into a dc:creator element.

      2. If pubDate is empty, it isn't included in an item.

      3. If author is empty, it isn't included as dc:creator.

      The last two errors occur in a feed Yahoo generates for groups that
      don't offer RSS, like this one:

      http://www.rssboard.org/yahoo-groups-feed/bobkempfans

      If it works, I'll release the code as an example of how to parse and
      republish RSS 2.0 feeds in PHP.
    • Bill Kearney
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2006
        > Though this is a minor error for most consumers of the feeds, the RSS
        > Advisory Board doesn't inspire much confidence by using invalid feeds.

        Nor does it inspire confidence by bodging together a hack instead of working
        with the publisher to fix the feed source.

        To say nothing of the issues surrounding copyright and republishing of data
        without permission. The road to Hell is paved with "good intentions".

        -Bill Kearney
        Syndic8.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2006
          --- In rss-public@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kearney" <wkearney@...> wrote:
          > Nor does it inspire confidence by bodging together a hack instead of
          > working with the publisher to fix the feed source.

          I've approached a few people at Yahoo about the issue, but it hasn't
          gotten on their radar yet (or more likely, I haven't found the right
          person to ask).

          In the meantime, it looks bad and the mailing list is a collective
          work of its participants, not the copyrighted work of Yahoo. I don't
          see a reason we can't publish our own feeds.
        • Bill Kearney
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2006
            Setting a good example comes to mind. If you want a feed produced from a
            tool then get that tool to do it right. Fight the good fight, not shortcut
            the process.

            So if the tool won't take care of itself then use a different tool. Various
            other mailing list packages exist, some based on open source.

            I think it looks "worse" to cobble together a hack.