RE: skipHours and skipDays ambiguous vs. non-optimal

  • Clinton Gallagher
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 9, 2006
      > Message: 2
      > Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 21:19:19 -0000
      > From: "ecomputerd" <ecomputerd@...>
      > Subject: skipHours and skipDays ambiguous vs. non-optimal
      >
      > Your statement "good enough for what we are trying to achieve"
      > implies that we are trying to fix the spec instead of clarify it.

      No, I am not implying. I am stating quite unequivocally that I
      believe these elements to be dysfunctional so why discuss how
      to do a better job of explaining they are broken?

      They don't seem to be broken to you though so if you would try
      to explain it to me like I was a four year old (as they say in
      the movies). Here's as typical a scenario as any and I have to
      put this into perspective...

      Nobody gives a sh!t what time it is in Greenwich except the
      tavern owners in Greenwich. I and my customers want and need
      to use time relevant to our personal location and the purpose
      our feeds are intended to achieve.

      Just today I studied Apple's iTunes specification which states...

      <! - valid date and time format - >
      <pubDate>Wed, 6 Jul 2005 13:00:00 CST</pubDate>
      <pubDate>Wed, 6 Jul 2005 13:00:00 -0600</pubDate>

      Noting I modified the actual time zone and offset designators
      to coincide with my own locale, if my channel builder formatted
      the pubDate string in either format as shown would your FeederReader
      parse the *times* correctly and if so could I safely presume
      others who parse feeds could/would also do so?

      By "parsing the time correctly" I mean having sufficient information
      available within the pubDate element itself to style the results
      such that the page could display "This feed was first published
      on Wednesday, July 6th 2005 at 1:00 PM CST?"

      Sorry to switch elements on you :-) but this example has a method
      to its madness.

      <%= Clinton Gallagher