Re: To Slash or Not To Slash

  • David Hall
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 9, 2007
      Yes, it's supposed to have a trailing slash. I'll try to get the
      examples updated. Can you point me to the google/youtube feeds that
      have it without and I'll try to contact some individuals to change it.

      --- In rss-media@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Hinde" <kevin.hinde@...> wrote:

      > Hello everyone,
      >
      > this has come up on the list before
      > (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/rss-media/message/953) but would it
      > be possible to resolve the issue of whether the media RSS namespace has
      > a trailing slash or not? The Yahoo spec says that it does, and
      > http://feedvalidator.org/ warns if you omit it, but the examples in the
      > Yahoo spec all have http://search.yahoo.com/mrss. It looks like some
      > implementors (including Google/YouTube) are basing their code on the
      > examples rather than the spec text. It may seem a minor detail but it
      > has given us an interop problem - at least one RSS consumer does not
      > recognise our media extensions because we advertise the namespace with a
      > trailing slash.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Kevin.
      >
      > --
      > Kevin Hinde
      > BBC News Interactive
      >

      > http://www.bbc.co.uk/
      stated.
      reliance on it and notify the sender immediately.

    • Phil Ringnalda
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 9, 2007
        On 2/9/07, David Hall <daviddhall@...> wrote:
        > Yes, it's supposed to have a trailing slash. I'll try to get the
        > examples updated. Can you point me to the google/youtube feeds that
        > have it without and I'll try to contact some individuals to change it.

        The examples from Tatsuhiko Miyagawa's message from December are still
        good (bad):

        http://youtube.com/rss/global/recently_added.rss
        http://video.google.com/videofeed?type=top100new&num=20&output=rss

        Phil Ringnalda
      • Bill Kearney
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 9, 2007
          And for what it's worth those URI only coincidentally also resolve as URLs.
          It's a niggling technical point but a URI can be ANY string. That they look
          like URLs you can use in a browser is merely coincidence, at least far as
          XML is concerned. Thus a string with a slash is technically entirely
          different than one withot it. Just because a browser lets you omit it
          doesn't mean the same thing with a URI.

          Thus it's critically important that folks writing the specs and presenting
          examples don't post bogus or ambiguous examples. Busy developers will
          slavishly imitate the mistakes. And then quite often go to extrordinary
          lengths to justify and defend the mistake. And then some market gorilla
          endorses the mistake and, well, things get even worse (aka iTunes...)

          -Bill Kearney
          Syndic8.com