TV schedules

  • c_newell_uk
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2007
      Hi all,

      I'm exploring the use of RSS to distribute schedule information for
      live TV streams. In this context a <channel> element corresponds to a
      TV channel and an <item> element corresponds to one programme or time
      slot. Media RSS provides some useful features, particularly the
      ability to signal the availability of several streams carrying the
      same content in different formats with the <media:group> element.

      Unfortunately, in the current specification <media:group> can only be
      a sub-element of <item> and cannot be a sub-element of <channel>. This
      means that it is necessary to repeat the <media:group> element
      describing the streams in each <item> element. For a 6 hour schedule
      this increases the size of our RSS files from around 7 to 13 KB.

      Would it be possible to allow the <media:group> and <media:content>
      elements to be sub-elements of a <channel> when this represents a
      single continuous stream?

      RSS feeds of this kind are likely to be more common than those listing
      a number of distinct continuous streams, each carrying a single item
      of content.

      Chris Newell
      Lead Technologist
      BBC Research
    • WWWhatsup
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2007
        I wouldn't think that the extra 6k should be much of a concern
        in today's world, or are you worried about server loads?

        joly

        At 07:01 AM 2/6/2007, you wrote:
        >For a 6 hour schedule
        >this increases the size of our RSS files from around 7 to 13 KB.

        WWWhatsup NYC
      • c_newell_uk
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7, 2007
          --- In rss-media@yahoogroups.com, WWWhatsup <joly@...> wrote:
          > I wouldn't think that the extra 6k should be much of a concern
          > in today's world, or are you worried about server loads?
          >
          > At 07:01 AM 2/6/2007, you wrote:
          > >For a 6 hour schedule
          > >this increases the size of our RSS files from around 7 to 13 KB.

          A near 100% overhead isn't nice in any service if it turns out to be
          popular. However, my main concern is to make the feeds a logical and
          comprehensible representation of the entities they represent.

          At the moment I can describe a channel using the optional Media RSS
          elements (such as <media:category>) because they're allowed
          sub-elements of <channel>. However, I cannot specify the location of
          the channel in this way.

          Chris
        • Sumeet Singh
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 7, 2007
            An extra 6K will make a difference when the client is a mobile phone.
            Mobile phones are still severely memory and heap constrained. There is
            also the fact that many mobile data plans bill the users based on the
            number of kilobytes transferred.