xquery and media:keywords

  • Cameron Knowlton
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 6, 2006
      this if #$%^&*( killing me! can anyone here answer this riddle... how the #$%^ do you get the value of an element containing : in its name, i.e. media:keywords:

      this does NOT work:

      let $keywords:= string($item/media:keywords)

      apparently, using a : in the name of the element is killing me, but we can't change the element name obviously. why would someone at yahoo choose to use a : in the element name?!?

      how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
      how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
      how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
      how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

      thanks in advance!
      cameron

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 6, 2006
        hi cameron

        this seems like a namespace context issue

        perhaps this relates:

        markus

        On Nov 6, 2006, at 1:59 AM, Cameron Knowlton wrote:

        > this if #$%^&*( killing me! can anyone here answer this riddle... how
        > the #$%^ do you get the value of an element containing : in its name,
        > i.e. media:keywords:
        >
        > this does NOT work:
        >
        > let $keywords:= string($item/media:keywords)
        >
        > apparently, using a : in the name of the element is killing me, but
        > we can't change the element name obviously. why would someone at yahoo
        > choose to use a : in the element name?!?
        >
        > how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
        > how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
        > how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
        > how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
        >
        > thanks in advance!
        > cameron
        >
        > --

        ---
        Markus Sandy
        http://feeds.feedburner.com/havemoneywillvlog
        http://feeds.feedburner.com/apperceptions
        http://feeds.feedburner.com/digitaldojo
        http://feeds.feedburner.com/spinflow
      • Cameron Knowlton
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 6, 2006
          >hi cameron
          >
          >this seems like a namespace context issue
          >
          >perhaps this relates:

          >markus
          >

          >On Nov 6, 2006, at 1:59 AM, Cameron Knowlton wrote:
          >
          >>this if #$%^&*( killing me! can anyone here answer this riddle... how the #$%^ do you get the value of an element containing : in its name, i.e. media:keywords:
          >>
          >> this does NOT work:
          >>
          >> let $keywords:= string($item/media:keywords)
          >>
          >> apparently, using a : in the name of the element is killing me, but we can't change the element name obviously. why would someone at yahoo choose to use a : in the element name?!?
          >>
          >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
          >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
          >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
          >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
          >>
          >> thanks in advance!
          >> cameron

          great thinking Markus! unfortunately, I'm using a different language than Java (I'm using Virtuoso http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/ )

          I did however declare the namespace inside my Xquery (did I declare this correctly? it does seem to work):

          _theResult:= xquery_eval (concat('
          declare namespace media="urn:yahoo:media";

          let $d:= document("', _mediaRSSpath, '")
          let $item:= $d//item[guid="', _guid, '"]

          let $title:= string($item/title)
          let $description:= string($item/description)
          let $keywords:= string($item/media:keywords)
          let $link:= string($item/link)
          let $guid:= string($item/guid)
          let $enclosureURL:= string($item/enclosure/@url)
          let $length:= string($item/enclosure/@length)
          let $type:= string($item/enclosure/@type)

          return
          <snip>

          This works so well for everything except for the media:keywords element... I'm guessing that this is a problem with Virtuoso, since I've seen one or two other examples on the net since I messaged the list that *do* use :s in the element name.

          I have a message into Openlink about the Xquery, thanks for all your support in the mean time, folks.

          cheers
          Cameron Knowlton
          Cameron Knowlton
          iGods Internet Marketing
          cameronk@...
          www.igods.com
          P: 250.382.0226
        • Brendan Quinn
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 7, 2006
            From the spec, http://search.yahoo.com/mrss/ ...

            "The namespace for Media RSS is defined to be:
            http://search.yahoo.com/mrss/ "

            So try
            declare namespace media="http://search.yahoo.com/mrss/";

            In your xquery function.

            There's an example here:
            http://docs.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/fn_xml_namespace_scope.html#ex_xml_n
            amespace_scope

            Basically the URI of the namespace should match the xmlns:media="..."
            bit inside the Media RSS document. The same goes for any XML namespace.

            Brendan.

            >this seems like a namespace context issue
            >
            >perhaps this relates:

            >markus
            >

            >On Nov 6, 2006, at 1:59 AM, Cameron Knowlton wrote:
            >
            >>this if #$%^&*( killing me! can anyone here answer this riddle... how
            the #$%^ do you get the value of an element containing : in its name,
            i.e. media:keywords:

            >> this does NOT work:
            >>
            >> let $keywords:= string($item/media:keywords)
            >>
            >> apparently, using a : in the name of the element is killing me, but
            we can't change the element name obviously. why would someone at yahoo
            choose to use a : in the element name?!?

            >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
            >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
            >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
            >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
            >>
            >> thanks in advance!
            >> cameron

            great thinking Markus! unfortunately, I'm using a different language
            than Java (I'm using Virtuoso http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/ )

            I did however declare the namespace inside my Xquery (did I declare this
            correctly? it does seem to work):

            _theResult:= xquery_eval (concat('
            declare namespace media="urn:yahoo:media";

            let $d:= document("', _mediaRSSpath, '") let $item:= $d//item[guid="',
            _guid, '"]

            let $title:= string($item/title)
            let $description:= string($item/description) let $keywords:=
            string($item/media:keywords) let $link:= string($item/link) let $guid:=
            string($item/guid) let $enclosureURL:= string($item/enclosure/@url) let
            $length:= string($item/enclosure/@length) let $type:=
            string($item/enclosure/@type)

            return
            <snip>

            This works so well for everything except for the media:keywords
            element... I'm guessing that this is a problem with Virtuoso, since I've
            seen one or two other examples on the net since I messaged the list that
            *do* use :s in the element name.

            I have a message into Openlink about the Xquery, thanks for all your
            support in the mean time, folks.

            cheers
            Cameron Knowlton
            Cameron Knowlton
            iGods Internet Marketing
            cameronk@...
            www.igods.com
            P: 250.382.0226

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://www.bbc.co.uk/
          • Cameron Knowlton
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 8, 2006
              RE: [rss-media] xquery and media:keywords
              nope, I tried this, same result (nothing):

              _theResult:= xquery_eval (concat('
              declare namespace media="http://search.yahoo.com/mrss/";

              let $d:= document("', _mediaRSSpath, '")
              let $item:= $d//item[guid="', _guid, '"]

              let $title:= string($item/title)
              let $description:= string($item/description)
              let $keywords:= string($item/keywords)
              let $tags:= replace($keywords, ",", "")

              From the spec, http://search.yahoo.com/mrss/ ...

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 10, 2006
                RE: [rss-media] xquery and media:keywords
                I checked in the XQuery use cases spec and there's a section on namespaces: http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xquery-use-cases-20050404/#ns

                so, based on this example from the use case spec...

                 declare namespace music = "http://www.example.org/music/records";

                <Q2>
                  {
                    doc("auction.xml")//music:title
                  }
                </Q2>

                I would guess that you have to say

                let $keywords:= string($item/media:keywords)

                rather than just "keywords" on its own. Which makes sense, as you might have <keywords> in the default namespace, and <media:keywords> representing a different namespace, and you want to be able to differentiate between them.

                Sorry but I don't have a working XQuery engine locally, and I can't find anything on the web that lets you query over arbitrary URLs, so I can't test the theory. But that might get you a bit closer :-)

                Brendan.

                >this seems like a namespace context issue
                >
                >perhaps this relates:

                >markus
                >

                >On Nov 6, 2006, at 1:59 AM, Cameron Knowlton wrote:
                >
                >>this if #$%^&*( killing me! can anyone here answer this riddle... how
                the #$%^ do you get the value of an element containing : in its name,
                i.e. media:keywords:

                >> this does NOT work:
                >>
                >> let $keywords:= string($item/media:keywords)
                >>
                >> apparently, using a : in the name of the element is killing me, but
                we can't change the element name obviously. why would someone at yahoo
                choose to use a : in the element name?!?

                >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
                >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
                >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
                >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
                >>
                >> thanks in advance!
                >> cameron

                great thinking Markus! unfortunately, I'm using a different language
                than Java (I'm using Virtuoso http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/ )

                I did however declare the namespace inside my Xquery (did I declare this
                correctly? it does seem to work):

                _theResult:= xquery_eval (concat('
                declare namespace media="urn:yahoo:media";

                let $d:= document("', _mediaRSSpath, '") let $item:= $d//item[guid="',
                _guid, '"]

                let $title:= string($item/title)
                let $description:= string($item/description) let $keywords:=
                string($item/media:keywords) let $link:= string($item/link) let $guid:=
                string($item/guid) let $enclosureURL:= string($item/enclosure/@url) let
                $length:= string($item/enclosure/@length) let $type:=
                string($item/enclosure/@type)

                return
                <snip>

                This works so well for everything except for the media:keywords
                element... I'm guessing that this is a problem with Virtuoso, since I've
                seen one or two other examples on the net since I messaged the list that
                *do* use :s in the element name.

                I have a message into Openlink about the Xquery, thanks for all your
                support in the mean time, folks.

                cheers
                Cameron Knowlton
                Cameron Knowlton

                Cameron Knowlton
                iGods Internet Marketing
                cameronk@...
                www.igods.com
                P: 250.382.0226

                Cameron Knowlton
                iGods Internet Marketing
                cameronk@...
                www.igods.com
                P: 250.382.0226

                http://www.bbc.co.uk
              • Cameron Knowlton
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 10, 2006
                  RE: [rss-media] xquery and media:keywords
                  give that man a cigar  8^)

                  with the corrected namespace declaration, and Brendan's solution to use media:keywords, it's working like a charm

                  8^)

                  thanks Brendan,
                  Cameron Knowlton