Re: [rss-media] Re: minimalistic media feed

  • Andris Jansons
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 18, 2006
      You are all set.

      David Hall <daviddhall@...> wrote:
      "Vadim Zaliva" wrote:

      > Hi!
      >
      > I have simple feed in which each item is related to image posted
      > by the user. I would now want to provide enclosures link at this point
      > to avoid unecessry downloads. Instead I woudl rather provide "player"
      > url via media:RSS.

      I'm interested in what you have planned. If you don't mind, post the
      feed here or email me directly at davidh@...

      > Is my my understading of the spec is correct and following
      > would be sufficient:
      >
      > 1. Add media namespace definition to 'rss' element.
      >
      > 2. Add empty 'media:content' element to each item (all attributes
      > seems to be optional)

      Speaking strictly from the specification's standpoint, I guess you
      wouldn't even need media:content. Whether or not the various rendering
      engines would recognize what you are doing, I'm not exactly sure.

      > 3. Add 'media:player' element to each item with 'url' attribute for
      > player.
      >
      > I understand that I could and should if possible provide more meta
      > data in my feed, like content type, etc., but I would like to
      > understand what are minimal additions and go from there.
      >
      > Somehow related question - what it takes to hint My Yahoo to show
      > my feeds in "Media" layout when they added?

      I've been talking lately with the My Yahoo folks and we were
      discussing this. The way I see it, there are two types of media rich
      feeds. Ones devoted specifically towards media only (example:
      podcasting) and ones that are mixed-media (example: a blog with images
      attached). Because these feeds "function" differently, you'd probably
      want to render the two types differently.

      Apparently, it's a little difficult to accurately figure out which
      type a feed belongs to. One of the suggestions was to create some sort
      of hint, just as you describe. I'm not exactly sure how that might
      look in media rss, or if it's even something we should do. Thoughts?

      -David

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Cameron Knowlton
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 6, 2006
        this if #$%^&*( killing me! can anyone here answer this riddle... how the #$%^ do you get the value of an element containing : in its name, i.e. media:keywords:

        this does NOT work:

        let $keywords:= string($item/media:keywords)

        apparently, using a : in the name of the element is killing me, but we can't change the element name obviously. why would someone at yahoo choose to use a : in the element name?!?

        how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
        how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
        how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
        how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

        thanks in advance!
        cameron

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 6, 2006
          hi cameron

          this seems like a namespace context issue

          perhaps this relates:

          markus

          On Nov 6, 2006, at 1:59 AM, Cameron Knowlton wrote:

          > this if #$%^&*( killing me! can anyone here answer this riddle... how
          > the #$%^ do you get the value of an element containing : in its name,
          > i.e. media:keywords:
          >
          > this does NOT work:
          >
          > let $keywords:= string($item/media:keywords)
          >
          > apparently, using a : in the name of the element is killing me, but
          > we can't change the element name obviously. why would someone at yahoo
          > choose to use a : in the element name?!?
          >
          > how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
          > how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
          > how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
          > how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
          >
          > thanks in advance!
          > cameron
          >
          > --

          ---
          Markus Sandy
          http://feeds.feedburner.com/havemoneywillvlog
          http://feeds.feedburner.com/apperceptions
          http://feeds.feedburner.com/digitaldojo
          http://feeds.feedburner.com/spinflow
        • Cameron Knowlton
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 6, 2006
            >hi cameron
            >
            >this seems like a namespace context issue
            >
            >perhaps this relates:

            >markus
            >

            >On Nov 6, 2006, at 1:59 AM, Cameron Knowlton wrote:
            >
            >>this if #$%^&*( killing me! can anyone here answer this riddle... how the #$%^ do you get the value of an element containing : in its name, i.e. media:keywords:
            >>
            >> this does NOT work:
            >>
            >> let $keywords:= string($item/media:keywords)
            >>
            >> apparently, using a : in the name of the element is killing me, but we can't change the element name obviously. why would someone at yahoo choose to use a : in the element name?!?
            >>
            >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
            >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
            >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
            >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
            >>
            >> thanks in advance!
            >> cameron

            great thinking Markus! unfortunately, I'm using a different language than Java (I'm using Virtuoso http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/ )

            I did however declare the namespace inside my Xquery (did I declare this correctly? it does seem to work):

            _theResult:= xquery_eval (concat('
            declare namespace media="urn:yahoo:media";

            let $d:= document("', _mediaRSSpath, '")
            let $item:= $d//item[guid="', _guid, '"]

            let $title:= string($item/title)
            let $description:= string($item/description)
            let $keywords:= string($item/media:keywords)
            let $link:= string($item/link)
            let $guid:= string($item/guid)
            let $enclosureURL:= string($item/enclosure/@url)
            let $length:= string($item/enclosure/@length)
            let $type:= string($item/enclosure/@type)

            return
            <snip>

            This works so well for everything except for the media:keywords element... I'm guessing that this is a problem with Virtuoso, since I've seen one or two other examples on the net since I messaged the list that *do* use :s in the element name.

            I have a message into Openlink about the Xquery, thanks for all your support in the mean time, folks.

            cheers
            Cameron Knowlton
            Cameron Knowlton
            iGods Internet Marketing
            cameronk@...
            www.igods.com
            P: 250.382.0226
          • Brendan Quinn
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 7, 2006
              From the spec, http://search.yahoo.com/mrss/ ...

              "The namespace for Media RSS is defined to be:
              http://search.yahoo.com/mrss/ "

              So try
              declare namespace media="http://search.yahoo.com/mrss/";

              In your xquery function.

              There's an example here:
              http://docs.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/fn_xml_namespace_scope.html#ex_xml_n
              amespace_scope

              Basically the URI of the namespace should match the xmlns:media="..."
              bit inside the Media RSS document. The same goes for any XML namespace.

              Brendan.

              >this seems like a namespace context issue
              >
              >perhaps this relates:

              >markus
              >

              >On Nov 6, 2006, at 1:59 AM, Cameron Knowlton wrote:
              >
              >>this if #$%^&*( killing me! can anyone here answer this riddle... how
              the #$%^ do you get the value of an element containing : in its name,
              i.e. media:keywords:

              >> this does NOT work:
              >>
              >> let $keywords:= string($item/media:keywords)
              >>
              >> apparently, using a : in the name of the element is killing me, but
              we can't change the element name obviously. why would someone at yahoo
              choose to use a : in the element name?!?

              >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
              >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
              >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
              >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
              >>
              >> thanks in advance!
              >> cameron

              great thinking Markus! unfortunately, I'm using a different language
              than Java (I'm using Virtuoso http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/ )

              I did however declare the namespace inside my Xquery (did I declare this
              correctly? it does seem to work):

              _theResult:= xquery_eval (concat('
              declare namespace media="urn:yahoo:media";

              let $d:= document("', _mediaRSSpath, '") let $item:= $d//item[guid="',
              _guid, '"]

              let $title:= string($item/title)
              let $description:= string($item/description) let $keywords:=
              string($item/media:keywords) let $link:= string($item/link) let $guid:=
[...]

              http://www.bbc.co.uk/
            • Cameron Knowlton
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 8, 2006
                RE: [rss-media] xquery and media:keywords
                nope, I tried this, same result (nothing):

                _theResult:= xquery_eval (concat('
                declare namespace media="http://search.yahoo.com/mrss/";

                let $d:= document("', _mediaRSSpath, '")
                let $item:= $d//item[guid="', _guid, '"]

                let $title:= string($item/title)
                let $description:= string($item/description)
                let $keywords:= string($item/keywords)
                let $tags:= replace($keywords, ",", "")

                From the spec, http://search.yahoo.com/mrss/ ...

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 10, 2006
                  RE: [rss-media] xquery and media:keywords
                  I checked in the XQuery use cases spec and there's a section on namespaces: http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xquery-use-cases-20050404/#ns

                  so, based on this example from the use case spec...

                   declare namespace music = "http://www.example.org/music/records";

                  <Q2>
                    {
                      doc("auction.xml")//music:title
                    }
                  </Q2>

                  I would guess that you have to say

                  let $keywords:= string($item/media:keywords)

                  rather than just "keywords" on its own. Which makes sense, as you might have <keywords> in the default namespace, and <media:keywords> representing a different namespace, and you want to be able to differentiate between them.

                  Sorry but I don't have a working XQuery engine locally, and I can't find anything on the web that lets you query over arbitrary URLs, so I can't test the theory. But that might get you a bit closer :-)

                  Brendan.

                  >this seems like a namespace context issue
                  >
                  >perhaps this relates:

                  >markus
                  >

                  >On Nov 6, 2006, at 1:59 AM, Cameron Knowlton wrote:
                  >
                  >>this if #$%^&*( killing me! can anyone here answer this riddle... how
                  the #$%^ do you get the value of an element containing : in its name,
                  i.e. media:keywords:

                  >> this does NOT work:
                  >>
                  >> let $keywords:= string($item/media:keywords)
                  >>
                  >> apparently, using a : in the name of the element is killing me, but
                  we can't change the element name obviously. why would someone at yahoo
                  choose to use a : in the element name?!?

                  >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
                  >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
                  >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
                  >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
                  >>
                  >> thanks in advance!
                  >> cameron

                  great thinking Markus! unfortunately, I'm using a different language
                  than Java (I'm using Virtuoso http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/ )

                  I did however declare the namespace inside my Xquery (did I declare this
                  correctly? it does seem to work):

                  _theResult:= xquery_eval (concat('
                  declare namespace media="urn:yahoo:media";

                  let $d:= document("', _mediaRSSpath, '") let $item:= $d//item[guid="',
                  _guid, '"]

                  let $title:= string($item/title)
                  let $description:= string($item/description) let $keywords:=
                  string($item/media:keywords) let $link:= string($item/link) let $guid:=
                  string($item/guid) let $enclosureURL:= string($item/enclosure/@url) let
                  $length:= string($item/enclosure/@length) let $type:=
                  string($item/enclosure/@type)

                  return
                  <snip>

                  This works so well for everything except for the media:keywords
                  element... I'm guessing that this is a problem with Virtuoso, since I've
                  seen one or two other examples on the net since I messaged the list that
                  *do* use :s in the element name.

                  I have a message into Openlink about the Xquery, thanks for all your
                  support in the mean time, folks.

                  cheers
                  Cameron Knowlton
                  Cameron Knowlton

                  Cameron Knowlton
                  iGods Internet Marketing
                  cameronk@...
                  www.igods.com
                  P: 250.382.0226

                  Cameron Knowlton
                  iGods Internet Marketing
                  cameronk@...
                  www.igods.com
                  P: 250.382.0226

                  http://www.bbc.co.uk
                • Cameron Knowlton
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 10, 2006
                    RE: [rss-media] xquery and media:keywords
                    give that man a cigar  8^)

                    with the corrected namespace declaration, and Brendan's solution to use media:keywords, it's working like a charm

                    8^)

                    thanks Brendan,
                    Cameron Knowlton