Re: [rss-media] Re: minimalistic media feed

  • Andris Jansons
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 18, 2006
      You are all set.

      nick gogerty <nick@...> wrote:
      We will soon be releasing a media RSS player that support music and videos inside of Outlook Express and Outlook.

      Anyone interested in participating in the Beta please contact me.

      In the meantime we publish some RSS tips about media at http://www.inclue.com/RSSGuidelines.pdf

      Our RSS player will support most media types, object embeds, enclosures and flash.

      Media vendors can put a store inside the feed or full HTML.  Also you may be interested in how other media sites such as Google, and YouTube handle media, have a look at feed you can generate at www.feedgit.com

      best,

      Nick Gogerty
      CEO
      inclue! ...video RSS feed player

    • Andris Jansons
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 18, 2006
        You are all set.

        David Hall <daviddhall@...> wrote:
        "Vadim Zaliva" wrote:

        > Hi!
        >
        > I have simple feed in which each item is related to image posted
        > by the user. I would now want to provide enclosures link at this point
        > to avoid unecessry downloads. Instead I woudl rather provide "player"
        > url via media:RSS.

        I'm interested in what you have planned. If you don't mind, post the
        feed here or email me directly at davidh@...

        > Is my my understading of the spec is correct and following
        > would be sufficient:
        >
        > 1. Add media namespace definition to 'rss' element.
        >
        > 2. Add empty 'media:content' element to each item (all attributes
        > seems to be optional)

        Speaking strictly from the specification's standpoint, I guess you
        wouldn't even need media:content. Whether or not the various rendering
        engines would recognize what you are doing, I'm not exactly sure.

        > 3. Add 'media:player' element to each item with 'url' attribute for
        > player.
        >
        > I understand that I could and should if possible provide more meta
        > data in my feed, like content type, etc., but I would like to
        > understand what are minimal additions and go from there.
        >
        > Somehow related question - what it takes to hint My Yahoo to show
        > my feeds in "Media" layout when they added?

        I've been talking lately with the My Yahoo folks and we were
        discussing this. The way I see it, there are two types of media rich
        feeds. Ones devoted specifically towards media only (example:
        podcasting) and ones that are mixed-media (example: a blog with images
        attached). Because these feeds "function" differently, you'd probably
        want to render the two types differently.

        Apparently, it's a little difficult to accurately figure out which
        type a feed belongs to. One of the suggestions was to create some sort
        of hint, just as you describe. I'm not exactly sure how that might
        look in media rss, or if it's even something we should do. Thoughts?

        -David

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Cameron Knowlton
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 6, 2006
          this if #$%^&*( killing me! can anyone here answer this riddle... how the #$%^ do you get the value of an element containing : in its name, i.e. media:keywords:

          this does NOT work:

          let $keywords:= string($item/media:keywords)

          apparently, using a : in the name of the element is killing me, but we can't change the element name obviously. why would someone at yahoo choose to use a : in the element name?!?

          how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
          how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
          how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
          how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

          thanks in advance!
          cameron

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 6, 2006
            hi cameron

            this seems like a namespace context issue

            perhaps this relates:

            markus

            On Nov 6, 2006, at 1:59 AM, Cameron Knowlton wrote:

            > this if #$%^&*( killing me! can anyone here answer this riddle... how
            > the #$%^ do you get the value of an element containing : in its name,
            > i.e. media:keywords:
            >
            > this does NOT work:
            >
            > let $keywords:= string($item/media:keywords)
            >
            > apparently, using a : in the name of the element is killing me, but
            > we can't change the element name obviously. why would someone at yahoo
            > choose to use a : in the element name?!?
            >
            > how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
            > how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
            > how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
            > how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
            >
            > thanks in advance!
            > cameron
            >
            > --

            ---
            Markus Sandy
            http://feeds.feedburner.com/havemoneywillvlog
            http://feeds.feedburner.com/apperceptions
            http://feeds.feedburner.com/digitaldojo
            http://feeds.feedburner.com/spinflow
          • Cameron Knowlton
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 6, 2006
              >hi cameron
              >
              >this seems like a namespace context issue
              >
              >perhaps this relates:

              >markus
              >

              >On Nov 6, 2006, at 1:59 AM, Cameron Knowlton wrote:
              >
              >>this if #$%^&*( killing me! can anyone here answer this riddle... how the #$%^ do you get the value of an element containing : in its name, i.e. media:keywords:
              >>
              >> this does NOT work:
              >>
              >> let $keywords:= string($item/media:keywords)
              >>
              >> apparently, using a : in the name of the element is killing me, but we can't change the element name obviously. why would someone at yahoo choose to use a : in the element name?!?
              >>
              >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
              >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
              >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
              >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
              >>
              >> thanks in advance!
              >> cameron

              great thinking Markus! unfortunately, I'm using a different language than Java (I'm using Virtuoso http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/ )

              I did however declare the namespace inside my Xquery (did I declare this correctly? it does seem to work):

              _theResult:= xquery_eval (concat('
              declare namespace media="urn:yahoo:media";

              let $d:= document("', _mediaRSSpath, '")
              let $item:= $d//item[guid="', _guid, '"]

              let $title:= string($item/title)
              let $description:= string($item/description)
              let $keywords:= string($item/media:keywords)
              let $link:= string($item/link)
              let $guid:= string($item/guid)
              let $enclosureURL:= string($item/enclosure/@url)
              let $length:= string($item/enclosure/@length)
              let $type:= string($item/enclosure/@type)

              return
              <snip>

              This works so well for everything except for the media:keywords element... I'm guessing that this is a problem with Virtuoso, since I've seen one or two other examples on the net since I messaged the list that *do* use :s in the element name.

              I have a message into Openlink about the Xquery, thanks for all your support in the mean time, folks.

              cheers
              Cameron Knowlton
              Cameron Knowlton
              iGods Internet Marketing
              cameronk@...
              www.igods.com
              P: 250.382.0226
            • Brendan Quinn
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 7, 2006
                From the spec, http://search.yahoo.com/mrss/ ...

                "The namespace for Media RSS is defined to be:
                http://search.yahoo.com/mrss/ "

                So try
                declare namespace media="http://search.yahoo.com/mrss/";

                In your xquery function.

                There's an example here:
                http://docs.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/fn_xml_namespace_scope.html#ex_xml_n
                amespace_scope

                Basically the URI of the namespace should match the xmlns:media="..."
                bit inside the Media RSS document. The same goes for any XML namespace.

                Brendan.

                >this seems like a namespace context issue
                >
                >perhaps this relates:

                >markus
                >

                >On Nov 6, 2006, at 1:59 AM, Cameron Knowlton wrote:
                >
                >>this if #$%^&*( killing me! can anyone here answer this riddle... how
                the #$%^ do you get the value of an element containing : in its name,
                i.e. media:keywords:

                >> this does NOT work:
                >>
                >> let $keywords:= string($item/media:keywords)
                >>
                >> apparently, using a : in the name of the element is killing me, but
                we can't change the element name obviously. why would someone at yahoo
                choose to use a : in the element name?!?

                >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
                >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
                >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
                >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
                >>
                >> thanks in advance!
                >> cameron

                great thinking Markus! unfortunately, I'm using a different language
                than Java (I'm using Virtuoso http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/ )

                I did however declare the namespace inside my Xquery (did I declare this
                correctly? it does seem to work):

                _theResult:= xquery_eval (concat('
                declare namespace media="urn:yahoo:media";

                let $d:= document("', _mediaRSSpath, '") let $item:= $d//item[guid="',
                _guid, '"]

                let $title:= string($item/title)
                let $description:= string($item/description) let $keywords:=
                string($item/media:keywords) let $link:= string($item/link) let $guid:=
[...]

                http://www.bbc.co.uk/
              • Cameron Knowlton
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 8, 2006
                  RE: [rss-media] xquery and media:keywords
                  nope, I tried this, same result (nothing):

                  _theResult:= xquery_eval (concat('
                  declare namespace media="http://search.yahoo.com/mrss/";

                  let $d:= document("', _mediaRSSpath, '")
                  let $item:= $d//item[guid="', _guid, '"]

                  let $title:= string($item/title)
                  let $description:= string($item/description)
                  let $keywords:= string($item/keywords)
                  let $tags:= replace($keywords, ",", "")

                  From the spec, http://search.yahoo.com/mrss/ ...

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 10, 2006
                    RE: [rss-media] xquery and media:keywords
                    I checked in the XQuery use cases spec and there's a section on namespaces: http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xquery-use-cases-20050404/#ns

                    so, based on this example from the use case spec...

                     declare namespace music = "http://www.example.org/music/records";

                    <Q2>
                      {
                        doc("auction.xml")//music:title
                      }
                    </Q2>

                    I would guess that you have to say

                    let $keywords:= string($item/media:keywords)

                    rather than just "keywords" on its own. Which makes sense, as you might have <keywords> in the default namespace, and <media:keywords> representing a different namespace, and you want to be able to differentiate between them.

                    Sorry but I don't have a working XQuery engine locally, and I can't find anything on the web that lets you query over arbitrary URLs, so I can't test the theory. But that might get you a bit closer :-)

                    Brendan.

                    >this seems like a namespace context issue
                    >
                    >perhaps this relates:

                    >markus
                    >

                    >On Nov 6, 2006, at 1:59 AM, Cameron Knowlton wrote:
                    >
                    >>this if #$%^&*( killing me! can anyone here answer this riddle... how
                    the #$%^ do you get the value of an element containing : in its name,
                    i.e. media:keywords:

                    >> this does NOT work:
                    >>
                    >> let $keywords:= string($item/media:keywords)
                    >>
                    >> apparently, using a : in the name of the element is killing me, but
                    we can't change the element name obviously. why would someone at yahoo
                    choose to use a : in the element name?!?

                    >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
                    >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
                    >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
                    >> how do you get around this problem????!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
                    >>
                    >> thanks in advance!
                    >> cameron

                    great thinking Markus! unfortunately, I'm using a different language
                    than Java (I'm using Virtuoso http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/ )

                    I did however declare the namespace inside my Xquery (did I declare this
                    correctly? it does seem to work):

                    _theResult:= xquery_eval (concat('
                    declare namespace media="urn:yahoo:media";

                    let $d:= document("', _mediaRSSpath, '") let $item:= $d//item[guid="',
                    _guid, '"]

                    let $title:= string($item/title)
                    let $description:= string($item/description) let $keywords:=
                    string($item/media:keywords) let $link:= string($item/link) let $guid:=
                    string($item/guid) let $enclosureURL:= string($item/enclosure/@url) let
                    $length:= string($item/enclosure/@length) let $type:=
                    string($item/enclosure/@type)

                    return
                    <snip>

                    This works so well for everything except for the media:keywords
                    element... I'm guessing that this is a problem with Virtuoso, since I've
                    seen one or two other examples on the net since I messaged the list that
                    *do* use :s in the element name.

                    I have a message into Openlink about the Xquery, thanks for all your
                    support in the mean time, folks.

                    cheers
                    Cameron Knowlton
                    Cameron Knowlton

                    Cameron Knowlton
                    iGods Internet Marketing
                    cameronk@...
                    www.igods.com
                    P: 250.382.0226

                    Cameron Knowlton
                    iGods Internet Marketing
                    cameronk@...
                    www.igods.com
                    P: 250.382.0226

                    http://www.bbc.co.uk
                  • Cameron Knowlton
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 10, 2006
                      RE: [rss-media] xquery and media:keywords
                      give that man a cigar  8^)

                      with the corrected namespace declaration, and Brendan's solution to use media:keywords, it's working like a charm

                      8^)

                      thanks Brendan,
                      Cameron Knowlton