Re: HTML vs Plain

  • David Hall
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2006
      Sam Ruby <rubys@...> wrote:

      > Question on elements like copyright and category, and attributes like
      > label: html or plain text?
      > While this may sound silly at first, it comes up when people want to
      > use non-ASCII characters. In particular © is invalid XML.
      > © works as plain text. Sometimes you will see &copy; on the
      > assumption that the value will be treated as HTML.

      Initially, I had assumed it would always be plain text. Do you have
      any recommendations on how we should ideally handle this?
    • Sam Ruby
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 12, 2006
        David Hall wrote:
        > Sam Ruby <rubys@...> wrote:
        >
        >>Question on elements like copyright and category, and attributes like
        >>label: html or plain text?
        >>While this may sound silly at first, it comes up when people want to
        >>use non-ASCII characters. In particular © is invalid XML.
        >>© works as plain text. Sometimes you will see &copy; on the
        >>assumption that the value will be treated as HTML.
        >
        > Initially, I had assumed it would always be plain text. Do you have
        > any recommendations on how we should ideally handle this?

        My biggest suggestion is simply that assumptions such as these be
        written down. But, yes, my recommendation is that plain text be the
        default.

        Note: the Atom spec allows a type attribute to be included on
        "atom:rights" elements. It is entirely up to you to decide whether or
        not this is overkill. Similarly, copyrights are only one type of rights
        that one can assert over a work.

        - Sam Ruby