Announcing RSS feeds on Google Video (alpha)

  • googlerssmedia
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 9, 2006
      Google is pleased to announce an alpha release of RSS feeds on Google
      Video.

      This is our first release of RSS feeds on Google Video and we're
      contacting this group because we'd like to receive feedback on our
      implementation. Specifically, we've implemented portions of the
      MediaRSS extension and would like to make sure that what we've done is
      standards-compliant. We are also interested in feedback regarding
      additional information that would be useful to include in the feeds.

      The RSS feature is not yet linked on our site, so to access it you'll
      need to use the links below.

      To access a feed of popular videos, go to
      http://video.google.com/videofeed?type=popular&num=20&output=rss

      To access a feed of any search results page, go to
      http://video.google.com/videofeed?type=search&q=type%3Agpick&num=20&output=rss

      In both cases, the "num" parameter can take any value from 1 to 100.

      In the case of search, the "q" parameter is the search query, and so
      can be anything you might see in a Google Video search URL.
      Furthermore, any other parameters that are accepted by Google Video
      search (e.g. for sort order) can be used here.

      Please respond to this post with any feedback you may have.

      Thanks for your help and for your interest in Google Video!

      - The Google Video team
    • Niall Kennedy
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 10, 2006
        I see two media:content items for what appears to be the same object
        type:

        """
        <media:content url="[link]" type="video/mp4" medium="video"
        expression="full" duration="224" width="320" height="240"/>
        <media:content url="[link]" type="video/mp4" medium="video"
        expression="full" duration="224" width="320" height="240"/>
        """

        Your image.link element value repeats paramters. Example:
        "q=soccer&num=20&q=soccer&num=20" .

        Why not include an enclosure element using the MP4 version of the
        content? This will allow more programs to save files locally for
        quick viewing regardless of device or connectivity.

        The Google Base namespace is declared but never used in my sample
        searches.

        -Niall Kennedy

        On Mar 9, 2006, at 4:10 PM, googlerssmedia wrote:

        > Google is pleased to announce an alpha release of RSS feeds on Google
        > Video.
        >
        > This is our first release of RSS feeds on Google Video and we're
        > contacting this group because we'd like to receive feedback on our
        > implementation. Specifically, we've implemented portions of the
        > MediaRSS extension and would like to make sure that what we've done is
        > standards-compliant. We are also interested in feedback regarding
        > additional information that would be useful to include in the feeds.
        >
        > The RSS feature is not yet linked on our site, so to access it you'll
        > need to use the links below.
        >
        > To access a feed of popular videos, go to
        > http://video.google.com/videofeed?type=popular&num=20&output=rss
        >
        > To access a feed of any search results page, go to
        > http://video.google.com/videofeed?type=search&q=type%
        > 3Agpick&num=20&output=rss
        >
        > In both cases, the "num" parameter can take any value from 1 to 100.
        >
        > In the case of search, the "q" parameter is the search query, and so
        > can be anything you might see in a Google Video search URL.
        > Furthermore, any other parameters that are accepted by Google Video
        > search (e.g. for sort order) can be used here.
        >
        > Please respond to this post with any feedback you may have.
        >
        > Thanks for your help and for your interest in Google Video!
        >
        > - The Google Video team
      • Prabhanjan G
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 10, 2006
          Hi,

          I see that the <media:content> url attributes have
          secure links that force the download of the media
          files (with a download dialog box). The files once
          downloaded open in the respective player based on the
          media extension. Which is a good thing ..

          Don't you think than the <media:player> tag is
          unecessary/redundant? Just curious.. is it there
          because in the future you would let people download
          files with paid content that will only be opened in
          the Google player?

          Thanks,
          PJ

          --- googlerssmedia <rss-media@...> wrote:

          > Google is pleased to announce an alpha release of
          > RSS feeds on Google
          > Video.
          >
          > This is our first release of RSS feeds on Google
          > Video and we're
          > contacting this group because we'd like to receive
          > feedback on our
          > implementation. Specifically, we've implemented
          > portions of the
          > MediaRSS extension and would like to make sure that
          > what we've done is
          > standards-compliant. We are also interested in
          > feedback regarding
          > additional information that would be useful to
          > include in the feeds.
          >
          > The RSS feature is not yet linked on our site, so to
          > access it you'll
          > need to use the links below.
          >
          > To access a feed of popular videos, go to

          http://video.google.com/videofeed?type=popular&num=20&output=rss

          > To access a feed of any search results page, go to

          http://video.google.com/videofeed?type=search&q=type%3Agpick&num=20&output=rss

          > In both cases, the "num" parameter can take any
          > value from 1 to 100.
          >
          > In the case of search, the "q" parameter is the
          > search query, and so
          > can be anything you might see in a Google Video
          > search URL.
          > Furthermore, any other parameters that are accepted
          > by Google Video
          > search (e.g. for sort order) can be used here.
          >
          > Please respond to this post with any feedback you
          > may have.
          >
          > Thanks for your help and for your interest in Google
          > Video!
          >
          > - The Google Video team

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • David Hall
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 10, 2006
            --- In rss-media@yahoogroups.com, "googlerssmedia" <rss-media@...> wrote:

            > Google is pleased to announce an alpha release of RSS feeds on
            > Google Video.

            Great!! I'm very pleased to hear this.

            > Please respond to this post with any feedback you may have.

            First of all, this was an excellent example of how to create a Media
            RSS feed. I think it captures the spirit of it perfectly. Good work.

            I have a couple suggestions and you can decide whether or not you want
            to implement them. Some of them will add to the weight of your feed,
            but I'd like to showcase all the data that Google can make available.

            1. Might be good to add the "fileSize" attribute to <media:content>.
            Also, if you have a preferred <media:content> item you want clients to
            download, suggest it using the "isDefault" attribute.

            2. Might want to explicitly declare that your video content is
            nonadult using the <media:rating> element.

            3. Someone just asked about the <media:player> element. I agree with
            you guys that you should keep it there. Gives you more flexibilty in
            the future. However, I would like to see the height and width
            attribute used to explicitly declare a best viewing size.

            4. Looks like you have copyright information. Might be a good idea to
            add the <media:copyright> element.

            5. It would be cool if you added the categorization information that
            you are collecting. (Example: Ads & Promotional) I'd suggest something
            like <media:category scheme="urn:googlevideo">

            6. <media:hash> might be useful for standalone clients to determine if
            they've seen the content before. It'll save bandwidth for all parties
            involved.

            7. Other addition information that I see that you are collecting from
            your uploaders: <media:text> for transcripts, <media:credit> for
            people and their roles, "language" information, and
            <media:restriction> for helpful suggestions about where people want to
            see their content.

            Again, really good stuff there. This will prove very helpful with
            spreading the Media RSS love.

            Thanks-
            David
          • Sam Ruby
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 10, 2006
              David Hall wrote:

              > First of all, this was an excellent example of how to create a Media
              > RSS feed. I think it captures the spirit of it perfectly. Good work.
              >
              > I have a couple suggestions and you can decide whether or not you want
              > to implement them. Some of them will add to the weight of your feed,
              > but I'd like to showcase all the data that Google can make available.
              >
              > 1. Might be good to add the "fileSize" attribute to <media:content>.
              > Also, if you have a preferred <media:content> item you want clients to
              > download, suggest it using the "isDefault" attribute.
              >
              > 2. Might want to explicitly declare that your video content is
              > nonadult using the <media:rating> element.
              >
              > 3. Someone just asked about the <media:player> element. I agree with
              > you guys that you should keep it there. Gives you more flexibilty in
              > the future. However, I would like to see the height and width
              > attribute used to explicitly declare a best viewing size.
              >
              > 4. Looks like you have copyright information. Might be a good idea to
              > add the <media:copyright> element.
              >
              > 5. It would be cool if you added the categorization information that
              > you are collecting. (Example: Ads & Promotional) I'd suggest something
              > like <media:category scheme="urn:googlevideo">
              >
              > 6. <media:hash> might be useful for standalone clients to determine if
              > they've seen the content before. It'll save bandwidth for all parties
              > involved.
              >
              > 7. Other addition information that I see that you are collecting from
              > your uploaders: <media:text> for transcripts, <media:credit> for
              > people and their roles, "language" information, and
              > <media:restriction> for helpful suggestions about where people want to
              > see their content.
              >
              > Again, really good stuff there. This will prove very helpful with
              > spreading the Media RSS love.

              One of my gripes (not directed specifically at Media-RSS, but more
              generally at all the specs in this space) is that this type of
              information can only be found on mailing lists and random blog posts.

              In the past, I've asked for help for supporting Media RSS in the Feed
              Validator in the form of test cases. As with other extensions, I
              typically wait either for such contributions or for some undefinable
              "tipping point" where adoption is broad enough that I go ahead and
              invest the time myself. We've now crossed that threshold. Over the
              next few days, I plan to implement medaRSS support in the Feed Validator.

              One thing that I would find helpful is if somebody could go through
              lists like the ones above and indicate which recommendations are general
              enough that they should be provided to everyone in the form of warnings.

              - Sam Ruby
            • Prabhanjan G
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 10, 2006
                Sam,

                Here are some of my observations that could be
                included in the warnings,

                1. I have seen feeds in Media RSS format that do not
                have all the <media:content> tag associated with the
                same media file be grouped under <media:group>.
                Googlerss feed is a good example of how this is done
                right.

                Furthermore, even if the the content are of the same
                format but has a differentiation in expression
                attribute, but are related, they should be under
                <media:group>. Needless to say that all related
                optional elements should be under the group tag too.

                2. I think all the elements David mentioned must be
                included too. Feeds often have most of the optional
                elements specified in iTunes RSS tags and only include
                the <media:content> and declare the Media RSS XMLNS.

                for eg: media:rating is a better way to specify the
                rating information in media rss feed. However this
                information is left out and only the <media:content>
                is included. Often the same feed has iTunes tags and
                <iTunes:Explicit> at channel level would have been
                defined. It is important that people who have media
                rss XMLNS declared also include information in Media
                RSS format.

                Hope this helps. Will point out more as time permits..

                PJ

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Robert Sayre
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 10, 2006
                  On 3/10/06, Prabhanjan G <prabhe@...> wrote:

                  > Here are some of my observations that could be
                  > included in the warnings,

                  I think, to be consistent, the validator should print a warning when
                  Media RSS is used.

                  "The item contains a media:content element. Be advised that clients
                  will behave unpredictably in the presence of such an element: some
                  will prefer it over the enclosure element, others will ignore it, and
                  the behavior may depend on the order in which such elements appear in
                  the item."

                  --

                  Robert Sayre
                • Sam Ruby
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 10, 2006
                    Robert Sayre wrote:
                    > On 3/10/06, Prabhanjan G <prabhe@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >>Here are some of my observations that could be
                    >>included in the warnings,
                    >
                    > I think, to be consistent, the validator should print a warning when
                    > Media RSS is used.
                    >
                    > "The item contains a media:content element. Be advised that clients
                    > will behave unpredictably in the presence of such an element: some
                    > will prefer it over the enclosure element, others will ignore it, and
                    > the behavior may depend on the order in which such elements appear in
                    > the item."

                    Consistency is for foolish hobgoblins.

                    But Robert does have a point. Given the environment in which RSS
                    extensions have traditionally been developed, one very much vital aspect
                    has been neglected:

                    Precedence rules

                    This issue very much applies here. The first sentence in the
                    description for Media RSS 1.1 reads:

                    "Media RSS" is a new RSS module that supplements the enclosure
                    capabilities of RSS 2.0.

                    How, exactly, does it "supplement" the enclosure capabilities? In
                    particular, can an RSS 2.0 item contain both?

                    For that matter, can a given item contain both rss-media elements and
                    itunes elements?

                    Following are examples of how the Feed Validator has dealt with lack of
                    precedence rules in the past:

                    http://feedvalidator.org/docs/warning/DuplicateSemantics.html
                    http://feedvalidator.org/docs/warning/DuplicateItemSemantics.html
                    http://feedvalidator.org/docs/warning/DuplicateDescriptionSemantics.html

                    And, just for completeness as it relates to enclosures:

                    http://feedvalidator.org/docs/warning/DuplicateEnclosure.html

                    - Sam Ruby
                  • Joshua Kinberg
                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 10, 2006
                      Typically MediaRSS is used in combination with enclosure elements for
                      backward compatibility.
                      So an <item> may contain both an <enclosure> (typically only one) and
                      MRSS extensions.

                      -josh

                      On 3/10/06, Sam Ruby <rubys@...> wrote:

                      > Robert Sayre wrote:
                      > > On 3/10/06, Prabhanjan G <prabhe@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > >>Here are some of my observations that could be
                      > >>included in the warnings,
                      > >
                      > > I think, to be consistent, the validator should print a warning when
                      > > Media RSS is used.
                      > >
                      > > "The item contains a media:content element. Be advised that clients
                      > > will behave unpredictably in the presence of such an element: some
                      > > will prefer it over the enclosure element, others will ignore it, and
                      > > the behavior may depend on the order in which such elements appear in
                      > > the item."
                      >

                      > Consistency is for foolish hobgoblins.
                      >
                      > But Robert does have a point. Given the environment in which RSS
                      > extensions have traditionally been developed, one very much vital aspect
                      > has been neglected:
                      >
                      > Precedence rules
                      >
                      > This issue very much applies here. The first sentence in the
                      > description for Media RSS 1.1 reads:
                      >
                      > "Media RSS" is a new RSS module that supplements the enclosure
                      > capabilities of RSS 2.0.
                      >
                      > How, exactly, does it "supplement" the enclosure capabilities? In
                      > particular, can an RSS 2.0 item contain both?

                      > For that matter, can a given item contain both rss-media elements and
                      > itunes elements?
                      >
                      > Following are examples of how the Feed Validator has dealt with lack of
                      > precedence rules in the past:
                      >
                      > http://feedvalidator.org/docs/warning/DuplicateSemantics.html
                      > http://feedvalidator.org/docs/warning/DuplicateItemSemantics.html
                      > http://feedvalidator.org/docs/warning/DuplicateDescriptionSemantics.html
                      >
                      > And, just for completeness as it relates to enclosures:
                      >
                      > http://feedvalidator.org/docs/warning/DuplicateEnclosure.html
                      >

                      > - Sam Ruby

                      > Xml format Xml Rss
                      > Data

                      > ________________________________
                    • Michael Sullivan
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 10, 2006
                        And certainly the preferred way.

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        --
                        Sull
                        http://vlogdir.com
                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 10, 2006
                          On Mar 9, 2006, at 7:10 PM, googlerssmedia wrote:

                          > Google is pleased to announce an alpha release of RSS feeds on Google
                          > Video.
                          >
                          > This is our first release of RSS feeds on Google Video and we're
                          > contacting this group because we'd like to receive feedback on our
                          > implementation. Specifically, we've implemented portions of the
                          > MediaRSS extension and would like to make sure that what we've done is
                          > standards-compliant. We are also interested in feedback regarding
                          > additional information that would be useful to include in the feeds.
                          >
                          > The RSS feature is not yet linked on our site, so to access it you'll
                          > need to use the links below.
                          >
                          > To access a feed of popular videos, go to
                          > http://video.google.com/videofeed?type=popular&num=20&output=rss
                          >
                          > To access a feed of any search results page, go to
                          > http://video.google.com/videofeed?type=search&q=type%
                          > 3Agpick&num=20&output=rss
                          >
                          > In both cases, the "num" parameter can take any value from 1 to 100.
                          >
                          > In the case of search, the "q" parameter is the search query, and so
                          > can be anything you might see in a Google Video search URL.
                          > Furthermore, any other parameters that are accepted by Google Video
                          > search (e.g. for sort order) can be used here.
                          >
                          > Please respond to this post with any feedback you may have.
                          >
                          > Thanks for your help and for your interest in Google Video!
                          >
                          > - The Google Video team

                          As the author of FeedForAll Mac these feeds are good to see. Since
                          the 2.0 version adds support for MediaRSS it was good to verify I
                          have implemented it right.

                          I did notice that some of the "Popular" content had duplication, but
                          not all. So I am guessing that problem is because of the formats
                          that it was submitted by the original poster.

                          Jim

                          --

                          /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign .
                          \ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail .
                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 10, 2006
                            "Robert Sayre" <sayrer@...> wrote:
                            > I think, to be consistent, the validator should print a warning when
                            > Media RSS is used.
                            >
                            > "The item contains a media:content element. Be advised that clients
                            > will behave unpredictably in the presence of such an element: some
                            > will prefer it over the enclosure element, others will ignore it,
                            > and the behavior may depend on the order in which such elements
                            > appear in the item."

                            Robert, was this a serious suggestion or were you just trying to make
                            a point? If trying to point out a deficiency with Media RSS, how might
                            we improve this?

                            When you say that a client may prefer it over the enclosure element,
                            I'm not sure I grasp what you are saying. How do you know it's being
                            preferred?

                            Sam Ruby <rubys@...> wrote:

                            > This issue very much applies here. The first sentence in the
                            > description for Media RSS 1.1 reads:
                            >
                            > "Media RSS" is a new RSS module that supplements the enclosure
                            > capabilities of RSS 2.0.

                            Yeah, the wording is a little strange and we can fix that. It's been
                            there since the beginning and I think was mostly there out of respect
                            for the existing podcast/enclosure work.

                            > How, exactly, does it "supplement" the enclosure capabilities? In
                            > particular, can an RSS 2.0 item contain both?

                            Yes, and while it's not noted in the specification, we've encourage
                            publishers to do both for backward compatabilty. (Assuming that
                            <enclosure> was even possible for their use. In many cases, it's not.)

                            > For that matter, can a given item contain both rss-media elements
                            > and itunes elements?

                            No. Actually, just kidding. How can our namespace declare rules for
                            how clients handle other namespaces? Doesn't seem like its our place
                            to decide such things. (In my mind, I'd encourage any client to handle
                            as many namespaces as is feasible)

                            > Following are examples of how the Feed Validator has dealt with lack
                            > of precedence rules in the past:

                            I agree that precedence rules make sense, and I think we've addressed
                            that with a few of the items:

                            <media:thumbnail> "If multiple thumbnails are included, and time
                            coding is not at play, it is assumed that the images are in order of
                            importance."

                            <media:content> "Media objects that are not the same content should
                            not be included in the same <media:group> element. The sequence of
                            these items implies the order of presentation."

                            If you can point out other areas where we can be clearer, I can get
                            that corrected.

                            Thanks-
                            David
                          • Sam Ruby
                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 10, 2006
                              David Hall wrote:

                              >>How, exactly, does it "supplement" the enclosure capabilities? In
                              >>particular, can an RSS 2.0 item contain both?
                              >
                              > Yes, and while it's not noted in the specification, we've encourage
                              > publishers to do both for backward compatabilty. (Assuming that
                              > <enclosure> was even possible for their use. In many cases, it's not.)

                              Noting it in the specification is an important first step. You need to
                              set expectations: not just for producers, but also for consumers. Given
                              the guidance I see above, a recommendation that consumers that
                              understand the media RSS extension would do well to ignore any
                              enclosures that reference the same URI would be in order.

                              Also, if this is truly what you would recommend, than I would recommend
                              that the examples in the spec reflect this recommendation unless there
                              is a compelling reason to do so, and that reason is noted in the spec.

                              Now, is there any way that the recommendation above can be implemented
                              by the feed validator? I am quite willing to settle for reasonable
                              approximations that cover the most common cases. As a concrete example,
                              would it make sense for the Feed Validator to issue a warning on all
                              items that contain one or more <media:content> element specifying
                              type="audio/mpeg" without an <enclosure> element that references the
                              same URI as one of the media:content elements? Is that likely to
                              produce too many false positive messages? Are there other cases that
                              can be checked for?

                              >>For that matter, can a given item contain both rss-media elements
                              >>and itunes elements?
                              >
                              > No. Actually, just kidding. How can our namespace declare rules for
                              > how clients handle other namespaces? Doesn't seem like its our place
                              > to decide such things. (In my mind, I'd encourage any client to handle
                              > as many namespaces as is feasible)

                              That's the "environment" thing that I refered to. If everybody says
                              "not me", then what you inevitably end up with is a suboptimal situation.

                              However, in this case, given the recommendation that media:rss elements
                              be used in adddition to enclosure elements, this is not really an issue.

                              - Sam Ruby
                            • Robert Sayre
                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 10, 2006
                                On 3/10/06, David Hall <daviddhall@...> wrote:

                                > How can our namespace declare rules for
                                > how clients handle other namespaces? Doesn't seem like its our place
                                > to decide such things.
                                > Yes, and while it's not noted in the specification, we've encouraged
                                > publishers to do both for backward compatabilty.

                                In other words, publishers should deal with it in the same manner as
                                <content:encoded> and <description> in the same item. The standard RSS
                                element may not contain all the information that the extension does,
                                but not all clients will look for the extension.

                                It's surprising that people feel this is worth writing down, but I
                                suppose yet more documentation of the obvious couldn't hurt the
                                syndication space.

                                "Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new
                                bureaucracy."

                                --

                                Robert Sayre
                              • googlerssmedia
                                Message 15 of 26 , Mar 13, 2006
                                  Thanks for the feedback, Niall!

                                  --- In rss-media@yahoogroups.com, Niall Kennedy <niall@...> wrote:

                                  > I see two media:content items for what appears to be the same object
                                  > type:
                                  >
                                  > """
                                  > <media:content url="[link]" type="video/mp4" medium="video"
                                  > expression="full" duration="224" width="320" height="240"/>
                                  > <media:content url="[link]" type="video/mp4" medium="video"
                                  > expression="full" duration="224" width="320" height="240"/>
                                  > """

                                  Indeed. Allow me to explain.

                                  If you go to that video on the site, of course you see the video
                                  playing in flash on the left -- that's the FLV file, which is the
                                  <media:content> with type="video/x-flv". On the right, you'll see
                                  three download options; the one labelled "Windows/Mac" is an AVI file
                                  corresponding to the <media:content> with type="video/x-msvideo".

                                  The other two downloads are labelled "Video iPod" and "Sony PSP". It
                                  turns out those two portable devices both use the MP4 container, but
                                  their MP4 headers are a little different, and the underlying codecs
                                  are slightly different as well, so we offer two different MP4 files.
                                  The two <media:content> elements with type="video/mp4" correspond to
                                  these two. The problem is that the MIME type is insufficient to
                                  distinguish between these.

                                  Is there any way within the spec to associate with each
                                  <media:content> some further information to distinguish between them
                                  besides the "type" attribute?

                                  > Why not include an enclosure element using the MP4 version of the
                                  > content? This will allow more programs to save files locally for
                                  > quick viewing regardless of device or connectivity.

                                  Why the MP4 in particular for an enclosure? Wouldn't all the
                                  <media:content> elements also make sense for enclosures? If I'm only
                                  going to supply one, it's not obvious which is the "right" one. (Same
                                  reason I don't specify one of the <media:content> elements as the
                                  default.)

                                  Thanks again for your feedback.
                                • Niall Kennedy
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Mar 15, 2006
                                    Adding an enclosure value allows the RSS feed to interact with
                                    programs and devices that are "video catchers." These applications
                                    may store the videos locally for quick offline viewing and may also
                                    pass the videos into a sync application such as iTunes for playback
                                    on another device.

                                    It makes sense to take a look at the current market of potential
                                    video catchers and make a choice based on what single format will
                                    reach the most users. Multiple media:content elements offers more
                                    neutrality, but doesn't allow iTunes to add the latest videos to your
                                    iPod video or your Sony PSP to grab the latest videos in its just
                                    released video RSS support.

                                    Ideally the user could choose their preferred download format on
                                    video.google.com and generate an RSS feed based on that preference.
                                    That way the user can "catch" the content in the format they care
                                    about with less hassle.

                                    -Niall Kennedy

                                    On Mar 13, 2006, at 2:48 PM, googlerssmedia wrote:

                                    > Why the MP4 in particular for an enclosure? Wouldn't all the
                                    > <media:content> elements also make sense for enclosures? If I'm only
                                    > going to supply one, it's not obvious which is the "right" one. (Same
                                    > reason I don't specify one of the <media:content> elements as the
                                    > default.)
                                  • Robert Sayre
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Mar 15, 2006
                                      On 3/15/06, Niall Kennedy <niall@...> wrote:

                                      > Ideally the user could choose their preferred download format on
                                      > video.google.com and generate an RSS feed based on that preference.
                                      > That way the user can "catch" the content in the format they care
                                      > about with less hassle.

                                      Alternatively, the enclosure URL could use HTTP Accept and User-Agent
                                      headers to determine the best format.

                                      --

                                      Robert Sayre
                                    • WWWhatsup
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Mar 15, 2006

                                        >The other two downloads are labelled "Video iPod" and "Sony PSP". It
                                        >turns out those two portable devices both use the MP4 container, but
                                        >their MP4 headers are a little different, and the underlying codecs
                                        >are slightly different as well, so we offer two different MP4 files.
                                        >The two <media:content> elements with type="video/mp4" correspond to
                                        >these two. The problem is that the MIME type is insufficient to
                                        >distinguish between these.
                                        >
                                        >Is there any way within the spec to associate with each
                                        ><media:content> some further information to distinguish between them
                                        >besides the "type" attribute?

                                        isn't video/x-m4v understood to mean iPod compliant?

                                        joly?

                                        WWWhatsup NYC
                                      • smellhound04
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Mar 28, 2006
                                          Dumb question, but what are people using to read Google's RSS feeds?

                                          James

                                          --- In rss-media@yahoogroups.com, "googlerssmedia" <rss-media@...> wrote:

                                          > Google is pleased to announce an alpha release of RSS feeds on Google
                                          > Video.
                                          >
                                          > This is our first release of RSS feeds on Google Video and we're
                                          > contacting this group because we'd like to receive feedback on our
                                          > implementation. Specifically, we've implemented portions of the
                                          > MediaRSS extension and would like to make sure that what we've done is
                                          > standards-compliant. We are also interested in feedback regarding
                                          > additional information that would be useful to include in the feeds.
                                          >
                                          > The RSS feature is not yet linked on our site, so to access it you'll
                                          > need to use the links below.
                                          >
                                          > To access a feed of popular videos, go to
                                          > http://video.google.com/videofeed?type=popular&num=20&output=rss
                                          >
                                          > To access a feed of any search results page, go to

                                          http://video.google.com/videofeed?type=search&q=type%3Agpick&num=20&output=rss

                                          > In both cases, the "num" parameter can take any value from 1 to 100.
                                          >
                                          > In the case of search, the "q" parameter is the search query, and so
                                          > can be anything you might see in a Google Video search URL.
                                          > Furthermore, any other parameters that are accepted by Google Video
                                          > search (e.g. for sort order) can be used here.
                                          >
                                          > Please respond to this post with any feedback you may have.
                                          >
                                          > Thanks for your help and for your interest in Google Video!
                                          >
                                          > - The Google Video team

                                        • Bob Davidson
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Mar 31, 2006
                                            Why are you using a DivX codec for your video/x-msvideo types? One
                                            would think you would use a standard MS codec that comes preinstalled
                                            with Windows. Windows Media Player won't play these files by default
                                            and most casual users will not know why.

                                            This also brings up a the question: should additional information be
                                            provided about the media's encoding and container? Simply having the
                                            MIME type is not enough.

                                            My company is building a UI for Windows Media Center Edition. As such,
                                            we want the product to be as simple to use as possible (i.e. not
                                            having to install additional codecs). We also don't users to see media
                                            (videos) they can't play (very frustrating), so we are filtering those
                                            out. Unfortunately, supporting RSS feeds (both media RSS and
                                            enclosures) is difficult because they don't provide enough information
                                            about the media encoding.

                                            Thanks,
                                            Bob Davidson

                                            --- In rss-media@yahoogroups.com, "googlerssmedia" <rss-media@...> wrote:

                                            > Google is pleased to announce an alpha release of RSS feeds on Google
                                            > Video.
                                            >
                                            > This is our first release of RSS feeds on Google Video and we're
                                            > contacting this group because we'd like to receive feedback on our
                                            > implementation. Specifically, we've implemented portions of the
                                            > MediaRSS extension and would like to make sure that what we've done is
                                            > standards-compliant. We are also interested in feedback regarding
                                            > additional information that would be useful to include in the feeds.
                                            >
                                            > The RSS feature is not yet linked on our site, so to access it you'll
                                            > need to use the links below.
                                            >
                                            > To access a feed of popular videos, go to
                                            > http://video.google.com/videofeed?type=popular&num=20&output=rss
                                            >
                                            > To access a feed of any search results page, go to

                                            http://video.google.com/videofeed?type=search&q=type%3Agpick&num=20&output=rss

                                            > In both cases, the "num" parameter can take any value from 1 to 100.
                                            >
                                            > In the case of search, the "q" parameter is the search query, and so
                                            > can be anything you might see in a Google Video search URL.
                                            > Furthermore, any other parameters that are accepted by Google Video
                                            > search (e.g. for sort order) can be used here.
                                            >
                                            > Please respond to this post with any feedback you may have.
                                            >
                                            > Thanks for your help and for your interest in Google Video!
                                            >
                                            > - The Google Video team

                                          • Mike Meiser
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Mar 31, 2006

                                              Good implimentation of media RSS, as mentioned you should include filesize and since you have it, copyright information. the transcript, description or any textual information,

                                              I really recommend including the standard RSS "enclosure" tag for backwards compatibility to standard RSS, and putting the mp4 or another downloadable format in it, since flash is generally not a great podcast format.

                                              Also, I really recommend putting the downloadable format MP4 first as an <item> and the Flash file second since some agregators may by default attempt to download the first item.

                                              Finally, this may just be iTunes, but if I'm not mistaken "&" is not a valid XML character and will therefore invalidate the whole feed.  I ran accross this recently when experimenting with enclosing google videos in deli.icio.us feeds. Took me a hell-a-long time to realize it was the & in your url string that was causing it the feed to not work in iTunes. Even if this is just an issue with iTunes, that's still a significant portion of market share. It would be great since google supports mp4 to be able to pop a feed in iTunes... it would seem like google, itunes, and the iPod would be a perfect combination.

                                              The big issue is the way your servers are set up. It'll be interesting to see if aggregators can download your videos because of

                                              a) the url strings, particularly the use of "&"

                                              b) the lack of extentsions on your URL, thought technically not improper

                                              c) the fact that your servers force a download prompt. This very well might fowl a lot of aggregators.

                                              Finally, just for the hell of it I popped your feed into mefeedia.com , an online video aggregator for the vlogosphere and while it properly recognized the flash items they would not play.

                                              http://mefeedia.com/feeds/6985

                                              I got the following error message when I hit play, "this video is currently not available, please try again later." Not sure why that is. Perhaps some sort of referral issue or perhaps the url is improperly referenced. I'm not sure which, but either way it would make a tremendous amount of sense for you to allow your videos to be referenced from other sites for just the same reason as it makes sense to allow them to be referenced in RSS. Wether it's just video bloggers or people wanting to talk about or discuss a video re-blogging is a core factor in the virality of videos, and when you can ensure a fair amount of linking and interactivity back to your site through the flash so the media is not orphaned there's no reason not to allow it. Despite all the problems with youtube they've shown this single strategy to be sound... promote your links, promote embedding and reblogging, promote distributed discussion. Google at this point has none, no discussion, no comments, and even if it's a game you do decide to get into (I'm guessing not due the infinite granularity of liabilty and moderation) having one thread of comments on a video cannot offer the variety of conversation... allowing re-blogging, hotlinking and embedding just as with RSS will allow for nearly infinite discussion on a video, discussion which for the purposes of search google will benifit directly from without incurring the costs of moderation and liabilities.

                                              Peace,

                                              -Mike
                                              mmeiser.com/blog

                                              On 3/9/06, googlerssmedia < rss-media@...> wrote:
[...]

                                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Apr 3, 2006

                                                >----------
                                                >
                                                >----------

                                                I took my vids via rss at
                                                http://video.google.com/videofeed?type=search&q=punkcast&num=20&output=rss
                                                into feedburner, looks like this:
                                                http://feeds.feedburner.com/GoogleVideo-Punkcast and then posted
                                                that to the videoblgging group on yahoo.

                                                I got the following response from the folks at mefeedia.com

                                                Thanks for posting this Joly.

                                                I see from looking at your feed that feedburner is not turning any
                                                of the media RSS elements into a standard RSS 2.0 enclosure, so I'm
                                                guessing your feed won't work in iTune, Fireant or any other video
                                                aggregator that doesn't support Media RSS.

                                                Just for the heck of it I decided to try to put it through Mefeedia.
                                                I would appear mefeedia does recognize the first media RSS specified
                                                item which is Flash, but due to google's extremely long urls
                                                mefeedia truncates teh url causeing it to be useless.

                                                I'm recommending to Peter and devlon that we add support for
                                                google's longer urls and in the future we will hopefully at some
                                                point in the future mefeedia will have full support for alternative
                                                media RSS specified formats like MP4 and WMV so that a user can
                                                choose their preferred format.

                                                -Mike

                                                WWWhatsup NYC
                                              • googlerssmedia
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Apr 5, 2006
                                                  Just an update to mention that a few bugs have been fixed and an
                                                  <enclosure> tag has been added (currently only providing the iPod
                                                  download). Again, let us know what we can do to make these feeds even
                                                  more useful. Links to feed URLs (on the search results and other
                                                  pages of the site) will be coming soon!

                                                  Thanks!

                                                  - Google Video engineering team

                                                  --- In rss-media@yahoogroups.com, "googlerssmedia" <rss-media@...> wrote:

                                                  > Google is pleased to announce an alpha release of RSS feeds on Google
                                                  > Video.
                                                  >
                                                  > This is our first release of RSS feeds on Google Video and we're
                                                  > contacting this group because we'd like to receive feedback on our
                                                  > implementation. Specifically, we've implemented portions of the
                                                  > MediaRSS extension and would like to make sure that what we've done is
                                                  > standards-compliant. We are also interested in feedback regarding
                                                  > additional information that would be useful to include in the feeds.
                                                  >
                                                  > The RSS feature is not yet linked on our site, so to access it you'll
                                                  > need to use the links below.
                                                  >
                                                  > To access a feed of popular videos, go to
                                                  > http://video.google.com/videofeed?type=popular&num=20&output=rss
                                                  >
                                                  > To access a feed of any search results page, go to

                                                  http://video.google.com/videofeed?type=search&q=type%3Agpick&num=20&output=rss

                                                  > In both cases, the "num" parameter can take any value from 1 to 100.
                                                  >
                                                  > In the case of search, the "q" parameter is the search query, and so
                                                  > can be anything you might see in a Google Video search URL.
                                                  > Furthermore, any other parameters that are accepted by Google Video
                                                  > search (e.g. for sort order) can be used here.
                                                  >
                                                  > Please respond to this post with any feedback you may have.
                                                  >
                                                  > Thanks for your help and for your interest in Google Video!
                                                  >
                                                  > - The Google Video team

                                                • WWWhatsup
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Apr 5, 2006
                                                    Yes

                                                    Interesting if not as neat in feedburner:
                                                    http://feeds.feedburner.com/GoogleVideo-Punkcast

                                                    I've been having trouble btw uploading in my usual mp4
                                                    flavor (h.264/AAC) - it doesn't authenticate - did you guys
                                                    change something?

                                                    joly

                                                    At 08:08 PM 4/5/2006, you wrote:
                                                    >Just an update to mention that a few bugs have been fixed and an
                                                    ><enclosure> tag has been added (currently only providing the iPod
                                                    >download). Again, let us know what we can do to make these feeds even
                                                    >more useful. Links to feed URLs (on the search results and other
                                                    >pages of the site) will be coming soon!
                                                    >
                                                    >Thanks!
                                                    >
                                                    >- Google Video engineering team

                                                    WWWhatsup NYC
                                                  • Cameron Knowlton
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Apr 18, 2006
                                                      Re: Announcing RSS feeds on Google Video (alpha)
                                                      Is is yet possible to submit media rss video feeds for Google Video?

                                                      thanks folks,
                                                      cameron

                                                      Cameron Knowlton
                                                      iGods Internet Marketing
                                                      cameronk@...
                                                      www.igods.com
                                                      P: 250.382.0226

                                                      --

                                                    • WWWhatsup
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Apr 21, 2006
                                                        AFAIK Cameron, no. One has to upload each vid individually using the
                                                        Google uploader.

                                                        I have been having problems with this myself. After working fine for several vids, it
                                                        now refuses to 'authenticate' anything I throw at it.

                                                        joly

                                                        At 04:11 PM 4/18/2006, you wrote:
                                                        >Is is yet possible to submit media rss video feeds for Google Video?
                                                        >
                                                        >thanks folks,
                                                        >cameron

                                                        >Cameron Knowlton
                                                        >iGods Internet Marketing