Re: [rss-media] Re: Media RSS 1.0 Enhancement - Archive Flag

  • Andreas Haugstrup
    Message 1 of 26 , May 19, 2005
      On Fri, 20 May 2005 01:28:51 +0200, Lucas Gonze <lgonze@...> wrote:

      >> I think it's a slippery slope to go down. RSS is not intended for
      >> archiving, nor it is very good at it.
      >
      > Where would you put archiving, Andreas?

      In plain old HTML.

      - Andreas
      --
      <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
    • Lucas Gonze
      Message 2 of 26 , May 19, 2005
        On Fri, 20 May 2005, Andreas Haugstrup wrote:

        > On Fri, 20 May 2005 01:28:51 +0200, Lucas Gonze <lgonze@...> wrote:
        >
        > >> I think it's a slippery slope to go down. RSS is not intended for
        > >> archiving, nor it is very good at it.
        > >
        > > Where would you put archiving, Andreas?
        >
        > In plain old HTML.

        So:

        click here for my full feed
        </a>

        click here for my most recent post
        </a>

        Is that right?

        - Lucas
      • M. Sean Gilligan
        Message 3 of 26 , May 19, 2005

          >When I say archiving, I'm basically referring to an RSS feed that
          >contains every possible media object or rss item that the author
          >believes is still "live".

          A related application is that I'd like to be able to get MediaRSS information for a specific media asset. I've toyed with an XML document that has either a <media:group> element as the root element or an RSS 2.0 <item> element as the root.

          Each media item would have a link to this item/group document available via one or more mechanisms.

          So there are at least three applications of the MediaRSS vocabulary:
          1) As meta-data for a Syndication Feed (RSS 2.0 or other)
          2) As meta-data for an entire collection ("Archive Mode")
          3) As meta-data for an individual item

          So, back to archive mode, perhaps the archive mode XML document would not be an RSS feed, but some other type of document, but would just use the same media:group vocabulary inside.

          Does this make sense?

          -- Sean

          M. Sean Gilligan : 831-466-9788 x11
          vBlog Central : http://www.vblogcentral.com
        • M. Sean Gilligan
          Message 4 of 26 , May 19, 2005
            Or perhaps:

            <link rel="mrssgroup" href="one-item-mrss.xml"/>

            in the html header?

            -- Sean

            > > In plain old HTML.
            >
            >So:

            >click here for my full feed
            ></a>

            >click here for my most recent post
            ></a>
            >
            >Is that right?
            >
            >- Lucas

            M. Sean Gilligan : 831-466-9788 x11
            vBlog Central : http://www.vblogcentral.com
          • Dom Ramsey
            Message 5 of 26 , May 20, 2005
              In message <p05210604beb2ebb1dfa2@[192.168.111.130]>, M. Sean Gilligan
              <seanlist@...> writes

              >Or perhaps:
              >
              ><link rel="mrssgroup" href="one-item-mrss.xml"/>
              >
              >in the html header?

              I prefer something along these lines.

              I don't particularly want to have a single archive feed with 100,000
              items in it just so search engines can find everything in a single hit.

              --
              Dom Ramsey
              http://www.fotothing.com/
              Message 6 of 26 , May 20, 2005
                On Fri, 20 May 2005 03:03:37 +0200, Lucas Gonze <lgonze@...> wrote:

                >> In plain old HTML.
                >
                > So:

                > click here for my full feed
                > </a>
                >
                > Is that right?

                Sort of:

                entries</a>

                (with a proper profile in the <head> of course)

                I think I'll pick up on Sean's e-mail and explain my reasoning there.

                - Andreas
                --
                <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
              • Suzan Foster
                Message 7 of 26 , May 20, 2005
                  On May 20, 2005, at 1:57 AM, David Hall wrote:

                  > When I say archiving, I'm basically referring to an RSS feed that
                  > contains every possible media object or rss item that the author
                  > believes is still "live". In other words, it's not an RSS feed in the
                  > typical sense where it would only contain the newest entries. It's
                  > EVERYTHING.

                  What about something like this as child of the channel element:

                  <media:archive href="http://example.com/mrssarchive.xml"/>

                  You could daisy-chain them together so that you don't have one
                  monolithic archive feed.

                  Regards,
                  Suzan Foster.
                • David Hall
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 20, 2005
                    The only problem with doing it through links on html pages is that it
                    removes the capability for an rss reader (not talking about a person,
                    but actual software) to determine that the feed is all-inclusive.

                    Real life examples would be my stuff, which takes feed submissions
                    and doesn't find the urls on web pages. Another example would be
                    my.yahoo.com when an end user adds an rss module to their home page
                    by just supplying the url. Other examples might be any other software
                    product that gathers it's rss urls through some sort of aggregation
                    system - like using OPML to harvest urls from ipodder.org.

                    I think this suggestion is good and should probably be done as well,
                    but I'd like to have something specifically in the rss feed that
                    determines it.

                    BTW, Andreas, didn't see your followup that you planned to post.

                    -David

                    --- In rss-media@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Haugstrup" <solitude@s...>
                    wrote:
                    > On Fri, 20 May 2005 03:03:37 +0200, Lucas Gonze <lgonze@p...> wrote:
                    >
                    > >> In plain old HTML.
                    > >
                    > > So:

                    rel="rssarchive">
                    > > click here for my full feed
                    > > </a>
                    > >
                    > > Is that right?
                    >
                    > Sort of:

                    all my
                    > entries</a>
                    >
                    > (with a proper profile in the <head> of course)
                    >
                    > I think I'll pick up on Sean's e-mail and explain my reasoning
                    there.

                    > - Andreas
                    > --
                    > <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                  • Andreas Haugstrup
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 20, 2005
                      Sorry, David, I got stuck enjoying the sun and a good book on the deck. :o)

                      So Sean would like to be able to grab individual items:

                      > A related application is that I'd like to be able to get MediaRSS
                      > information for a specific media asset. I've toyed with an XML
                      > document that has either a <media:group> element as the root element or
                      > an RSS 2.0 <item> element as the root.

                      And someone else started talking about chaining archive RSS files together
                      to avoid the 100,000 item RSS file. It sure smells like reinventing HTML
                      to me. The Max Power way. [1]

                      > So there are at least three applications of the MediaRSS vocabulary:
                      > 1) As meta-data for a Syndication Feed (RSS 2.0 or other)
                      > 2) As meta-data for an entire collection ("Archive Mode")
                      > 3) As meta-data for an individual item
                      >
                      > So, back to archive mode, perhaps the archive mode XML document would
                      > not be an RSS feed, but some other type of document, but would just use
                      > the same media:group vocabulary inside.

                      Sean's on the right track here. Why use RSS for archiving? You already
                      have an HTML archive[2], so why create a whole new document which is just
                      a copy of all your content using other XML elements? Especially when RSS
                      is so bad for archiving. You can't link to an item, you can't show it in a
                      browser. The good use for it would be search engines, but they can either
                      crawl your site (which is a very good way of finding 'live' content), or
                      the search engine could just read an HTML file. The search engine doesn't
                      care which flavour of XML it has to read.

                      As for Sean's three scenarios:

                      > 1) As meta-data for a Syndication Feed (RSS 2.0 or other)

                      The one thing RSS can do that HTML can't do it the datestamp. Someone in
                      their wisdom decided to create RSS instead of adding this tiny bit of
                      metadata to the HTML file, and thus we are stuck with having to keep two
                      very similar documents. In my opinion we would be much better of with the
                      HTML solution where aggregators could read a blog front page - or other
                      HTML document - instead of having to create a new RSS document for
                      syndication.

                      But since you can get lynched for giving a critique of RSS in some circles
                      I guess I'll have to let this one slide, and say, yeah, RSS and Media RSS
                      is probably a nice way of getting syndication of media (and text items
                      with attached content).

                      > 2) As meta-data for an entire collection ("Archive Mode")
                      > 3) As meta-data for an individual item

                      Both of these can be handled by HTML, and authors can do so without having
                      to create yet another copy of their content. The metadata should be
                      available where it is most logical: On the website's archive page (the one
                      that the readers use when the open their browser), and at the HTML page
                      that corresponds to the permalink. That is after all the permanent
                      location of the content - if the metadata shouldn't be stored there I
                      don't know where the hell you'd store it.

                      Embedding the Media RSS Module in HTML would be possible as far as I
                      understand it. At least in XHTML, but there's no need to go that route.

                      It's a matter of writing a HTML metadata profile for the Media Module
                      data, something that should've been in place before writing the RSS
                      module. HTML metadata profiles describe values for the <meta> elements and
                      class & rel attributes. It's a very powerful way of embedding some meaning
                      into HTML pages. One example of a very popular profile is XFN: <URL:
                      http://gmpg.org/xfn/ >

                      Profiles are linked through the profile attribute on the head-element, so
                      that spiders and such knows what's going on (like a weak-version of
                      namespaces).

                      A single media group could look like this for example:

                      <head profile="http://search.yahoo.com/media">
                      <ul class="mediagroup" title="My Movie">
                      <li><a href="movie.mov" type="video/quicktime">My Movie - Quicktime
                      version</a></li>
                      </ul>

                      This is kind of mark-up you'd put in your blog entry anyway - just so your
                      readers can click on the links.

                      Media RSS is a bit more complex since there are more types of metadata
                      than urls, titles and type. You'd probably end up with a list for the
                      group, and a definition list for the metadata (this is just one media
                      item, not two as above):

                      <ul class="mediagroup" title="My Movie">
                      <li>
                      <dl>
                      <dt>bitrate</dt>
                      <dd>512</dd>
                      <dt>framerate</dt>
                      <dd>25</dd>
                      <dt>category</dt>
                      <dd>Arts</dd>
                      </dl>
                      </li>
                      </ul>

                      And so on. It gets rid of the "100,000 item file" problem as well. Add a
                      you're all set.

                      See attentionxml for inspiration: <URL:
                      http://developers.technorati.com/wiki/attentionxml >
                      GMPG for a standard way of writing HTML profiles: <URL:
                      http://gmpg.org/xmdp/ >
                      And my own attempt at starting a HTML metadata profile for weblogs: <URL:
                      http://www.solitude.dk/blogprofile/011/ >

                      - Andreas

                      [1] For those without the Simpsons reference: There's the right way, the
                      wrong way and the Max Power way (which is "the wrong way, but faster").
                      [2] I'm only talking about services who actually have websites. I realize
                      that RSS can be used with <link> to syndicate full stories, but without
                      anything to an RSS item.

                      --
                      <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                    • Gaurav Bhatnagar
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 20, 2005
                        Scalability should be considered and if possible, factored into the
                        specification. Eventually sites like Ourmedia will have millions of
                        items in their archive. Presenting the entire archive in a single feed
                        might not be practical. Especially if thousands of aggregators start
                        requesting the feed every hour, it will become a bandwidth choke
                        point. Maybe we should have a flag to specify how often the archive
                        feed will be updated. Then Ourmedia could simply state in the feed
                        that it will be updated once every month and hope that aggregators
                        respect the flag.

                        On 5/20/05, David Hall <daviddhall@...> wrote:
                        > The only problem with doing it through links on html pages is that it
                        > removes the capability for an rss reader (not talking about a person,
                        > but actual software) to determine that the feed is all-inclusive.
                        >
                        > Real life examples would be my stuff, which takes feed submissions
                        > and doesn't find the urls on web pages. Another example would be
                        > my.yahoo.com when an end user adds an rss module to their home page
                        > by just supplying the url. Other examples might be any other software
                        > product that gathers it's rss urls through some sort of aggregation
                        > system - like using OPML to harvest urls from ipodder.org.
                        >
                        > I think this suggestion is good and should probably be done as well,
                        > but I'd like to have something specifically in the rss feed that
                        > determines it.
                        >
                        > BTW, Andreas, didn't see your followup that you planned to post.
                        >
                        > -David
                        >
                        > --- In rss-media@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Haugstrup" <solitude@s...>
                        > wrote:

                        > > > So:

                        > rel="rssarchive">
                        > > > click here for my full feed
                        > > > </a>
                        > > >
                        > > > Is that right?
                        > >
                        > > Sort of:

                        > all my
                        > > entries</a>
                        > >
                        > > (with a proper profile in the <head> of course)
                        > >
                        > > I think I'll pick up on Sean's e-mail and explain my reasoning
                        > there.
                        > >
                        > > - Andreas
                        > > --
                        > > <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                        > > Commentary on media, communication, culture and technology.

                        -Gaurav
                        http://www.newdelhitimes.org
                      • Andreas Haugstrup
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 21, 2005
                          On Sat, 21 May 2005 08:53:32 +0200, Gaurav Bhatnagar
                          <gauravbhatnagar@...> wrote:

                          > Scalability should be considered and if possible, factored into the
                          > specification. Eventually sites like Ourmedia will have millions of
                          > items in their archive. Presenting the entire archive in a single feed
                          > might not be practical.

                          I'm telling you, a series of HTML pages is simpler, useful for both site
                          visitors and search engines, and you don't have to create yet another copy
                          of your content.

                          > Especially if thousands of aggregators start
                          > requesting the feed every hour, it will become a bandwidth choke
                          > point. Maybe we should have a flag to specify how often the archive
                          > feed will be updated.

                          HTTP has nice caching available already. RSS has <ttl>:

                          <ttl> is an optional sub-element of <channel>.

                          ttl stands for time to live. It's a number of minutes that indicates how
                          long a channel can be cached before refreshing from the source. This makes
                          it possible for RSS sources to be managed by a file-sharing network such
                          as Gnutella.

                          - Andreas
                          --
                          <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                        • Chris Jones
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 25, 2005
                            This is exactly why I posted a few weeks ago about how to post
                            thousands of videos. Right now I've got 10 video sites and growing and
                            users are posting over a 100 videos a day and growing. 3 months and we
                            are over 3,000.

                            Not sure about everyone else but my Media RSS feed is DB driven so
                            changing the output is relatively easy. Maybe a master RSS file with
                            references to the other RSS feeds with a stamp to tell it how often to
                            check each one.

                            Ultimately there has to be a limit to the number of items. When you
                            hit that limit just create another file and put the link to it in the
                            master file.

                            Also I'd rather Yahoo pull an XML file with 20,000 entries than spider
                            20,000 web pages, it'll be a lot less of a load on the server and
                            network.

                            Chris Jones
                            vidiac.com

                            --- In rss-media@yahoogroups.com, Gaurav Bhatnagar
                            <gauravbhatnagar@g...> wrote:
                            > Scalability should be considered and if possible, factored into the
                            > specification. Eventually sites like Ourmedia will have millions of
                            > items in their archive. Presenting the entire archive in a single feed
                            > might not be practical. Especially if thousands of aggregators start
                            > requesting the feed every hour, it will become a bandwidth choke
                            > point. Maybe we should have a flag to specify how often the archive
                            > feed will be updated. Then Ourmedia could simply state in the feed
                            > that it will be updated once every month and hope that aggregators
                            > respect the flag.

                          • Lucas Gonze
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 15, 2005
                              Now that I've had a chance to absorb the idea of the archive flag for a
                              while, I don't think it belongs in MRSS. It feels to me like a job
                              which belongs to the crafters of a format, e.g. the Atom WG.

                              - Lucas

                              Prabhanjan G wrote:

                              > David can you please define archiving in the context
                              > of Media RSS.
                              >
                              > PJ
                              > genwi llc
                              >
                              > --- Andreas Haugstrup <solitude@...> wrote:
                              > > On Thu, 19 May 2005 20:22:38 +0200, David Hall
                              > > <daviddhall@...>
                              > > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > > Let's go guys... need some feedback on this so we
                              > > don't arbitrarily
                              > > > choose something that annoys the senses. :-)
                              > >
                              > > I think it's a slippery slope to go down. RSS is not
                              > > intended for
                              > > archiving, nor it is very good at it.
                              > >
                              > > - Andreas
                              > > --
                              > > <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                              > > Commentary on media, communication, culture and
                              > > technology.
                              > >

                              > Yahoo! Mail
                              >

                              > *Yahoo! Groups Links*

                              > .
                            • David Hall
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 15, 2005
                                Lucas Gonze <lgonze@p...> wrote:
                                > Now that I've had a chance to absorb the idea of the archive flag
                                > for a while, I don't think it belongs in MRSS. It feels to me like
                                > a job which belongs to the crafters of a format, e.g. the Atom WG.
                                >
                                > - Lucas

                                I agree. But since we don't have control over the formats.... we don't
                                really have an alternative?

                                And as difficult as it is to explain the need for this when syndicating
                                media, I image it'll be even more difficult to persuade them by
                                attempting to frame it in the context of "normal" rss.

                                Love to hear your thoughts on how you'd get the crafters to adopt it.
                              • Lucas Gonze
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 15, 2005
                                  David Hall wrote:

                                  > I agree. But since we don't have control over the formats.... we don't
                                  > really have an alternative?
                                  >
                                  > And as difficult as it is to explain the need for this when syndicating
                                  > media, I image it'll be even more difficult to persuade them by
                                  > attempting to frame it in the context of "normal" rss.
                                  >
                                  > Love to hear your thoughts on how you'd get the crafters to adopt it.

                                  Hmmmm.

                                  /me drums fingers on noggin for a while.

                                  Here is how I would do it:

                                  - write a short document on what you want to accomplish. This would
                                  contain user stories, also known as usecases.

                                  - look for easy ways to do it. Ask around for ideas about ways to do it
                                  without a new standard. Write a half-assed bit of code in a scripting
                                  language and see how well it does the job by using it for a few days.

                                  - If you're still going at this point, survey prior art. Is it really a
                                  new feature? Probably not -- there's an awful lot of prior art.

                                  - write up the above. You now have a document to show that you've done
                                  your homework and are not wasting people's time, and you personally
                                  understand the terrain well enough to do the job as parsimoniously as
                                  possible.

                                  - given the documentation you just wrote, write a strawman proposal for
                                  one of the two open feed formats, RSS 1.0 and Atom. It has to be one of
                                  those because you need collaborative development, because you need an
                                  overheated bunch of nerd lunatics calling you names to find the
                                  weaknesses in your thinking before you ship millions of copies of
                                  software that depend on it. This is QA as a contact sport.

                                  - you now have the means to email or cold call somebody within those
                                  working groups and make them pay close attention to your idea. Do so.
                                  Pay close attention to their objections, incorporate them in your draft,
                                  and make a note that you incorporated them in your draft. You have now
                                  shown that you give attribution and can work with people.

                                  - you now have something that's really not bad. If at all possible,
                                  implement a super-minimal version of it.

                                  - The next step is to develop consensus around it, since ignoring your
                                  idea is the polite way of voting it down. Post your proposal to the WG,
                                  with pointers to all the stuff you've created along the way. Hopefully
                                  you have made contacts within the WG as you went along, because they
                                  will be the ones most likely to pay attention.

                                  - From here it's black magic, but given that you're Y! I think the magic
                                  will be on your side.
                                • Prabhanjan G
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 30, 2005
                                    David,

                                    Considering you are about to propose additions to the
                                    standard are you including facility for archiving?

                                    I believe it could be helpful for an aggregator to
                                    download all the items at once.

                                    For example if archives.org were to syndicate its
                                    media files through MRSS, using archive flag would be
                                    a good option?

                                    PJ

                                    --- Lucas Gonze <lgonze@...> wrote:

                                    > Now that I've had a chance to absorb the idea of the
                                    > archive flag for a
                                    > while, I don't think it belongs in MRSS. It feels
                                    > to me like a job
                                    > which belongs to the crafters of a format, e.g. the
                                    > Atom WG.
                                    >
                                    > - Lucas
                                    >
                                    > Prabhanjan G wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > David can you please define archiving in the
                                    > context
                                    > > of Media RSS.
                                    > >
                                    > > PJ
                                    > > genwi llc
                                    > >
                                    > > --- Andreas Haugstrup <solitude@...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > > > On Thu, 19 May 2005 20:22:38 +0200, David Hall
                                    > > > <daviddhall@...>

                                    > we
                                    > > > don't arbitrarily
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I think it's a slippery slope to go down. RSS is
                                    > not
                                    > > > intended for
                                    > > > archiving, nor it is very good at it.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > - Andreas
                                    > > > --
                                    > > > <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                                    > > > Commentary on media, communication, culture and
                                    > > > technology.
                                    > > >

                                    > > Yahoo! Mail
                                    > > Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the
                                    > tour:
                                    > > http://tour.mail.yahoo.com/mailtour.html
                                    > >

                                    > > *Yahoo! Groups Links*

                                    > email to:

                                    > Yahoo! Terms of
                                    > >

                                    > > .

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  • David Hall
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 30, 2005
                                      Yep, it'll be in there so that we can discuss it further...

                                      --- In rss-media@yahoogroups.com, Prabhanjan G <prabhe@y...> wrote:
                                      > David,
                                      >
                                      > Considering you are about to propose additions to the
                                      > standard are you including facility for archiving?
                                      >
                                      > I believe it could be helpful for an aggregator to
                                      > download all the items at once.
                                      >
                                      > For example if archives.org were to syndicate its
                                      > media files through MRSS, using archive flag would be
                                      > a good option?
                                      >
                                      > PJ
                                    • David Hall
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jul 1, 2005
                                        Just saw this mentioned on rss-dev:

                                        http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nottingham-atompub-feed-history-01.txt

                                        Skimming it, it sounds like that's what I was trying to get at with
                                        archive flag - along with someone else's suggestions as an
                                        alternative: daisy chaining.

                                        I'll read over more thoroughly, but at first glance, I think it'll work.

                                        Thoughts?