enclosure in mrss 1.0

  • doosdinkje
    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2005
      Hi all,

      I was asked to set up a mrss sytem for a documentary film site.
      In the various sources I read, they all seem to use the <enclosure>
      tag aswell as the <media:content>.

      Will (or is) the <enclosure> tag be obsolete?
      The same goes for the item <title> aswell?

      Thanks,

      Alain
    • David Hall
      Message 2 of 3 , May 11, 2005
        Hi Alain -

        No, the enclosure tag is not obsolete - it serves its general purpose
        ok.

        Media RSS was designed with a stricter mindset. We want it to be used
        to publish any type of media (including images/audio/video) and as
        such
        have included specific attributes that most people care about. It's
        an
        attempt to maintain the general nature of the current RSS 2.0
        elements,
        and the "look and feel" that they should be generated.

        I'd encourage you to to include both Media RSS elements AND RSS 2.0
        Enclosures. (Assuming you are able to satisify all the requirements
        of
        the current Enclosure element.)

        As for the RSS Title element, it depends on what you are publishing.
        If
        it's just stricly going to be Media without an notion of a "story",
        you
        would most likely ignore that element and use the "<media:title>"
        element. However, you must remember that not everyone supports Media
        RSS (yet) so if readers are finding your content through the
        Enclosure
        element, they won't know how to apply a Title to it.

        Thanks-
        David

        --- In rss-media@yahoogroups.com, "doosdinkje" <doosdinkje@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I was asked to set up a mrss sytem for a documentary film site.
        > In the various sources I read, they all seem to use the <enclosure>
        > tag aswell as the <media:content>.
        >
        > Will (or is) the <enclosure> tag be obsolete?
        > The same goes for the item <title> aswell?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Alain
      • doosdinkje
        Message 3 of 3 , May 11, 2005
          Thanks David,

          Can I conclude from this to use both <title> and <media:title> for now?

          Alain