how fixed is the spec?

  • lucas_gonze
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 15, 2004
      Um, don't take this the wrong way, but may I ask whether the spec is
      fixed in stone? There are aspects of it which could conceivably
      benefit from further development.

      Thanks.

      - Lucas Gonze
    • marc@broadbandmechanics.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 16, 2004
        Hey Lucas - funny meeting you here.

        :-)

        No I don't think this spec is fixed in stone. That's why they're
        inviting us here.

        :-)

        OK so Here we go,
        with another show
        of a punky funky riddim
        that inhabits my soul.

        Of video we seek,
        a grand behind the scenes peek
        not a poke or inhibition that
        inspires this geek

        So I beseech to you,
        that we boogaloo
        and make this namespace rocking rover
        to define our poo.

        - marc canter - on the entrance of Yahoo into this grand chess game.

        --- In rss-media@yahoogroups.com, "lucas_gonze" <lucas.gonze@g...>
        wrote:

        > Um, don't take this the wrong way, but may I ask whether the spec
        is
        > fixed in stone? There are aspects of it which could conceivably
        > benefit from further development.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > - Lucas Gonze
      • lucas_gonze
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 16, 2004
          --- In rss-media@yahoogroups.com, marc@b... wrote:

          > Hey Lucas - funny meeting you here.
          >
          > :-)

          (^_^) yo G! Things are heating up for sure. Incredible or what for
          Yahoo to be getting in so deep?

          > No I don't think this spec is fixed in stone. That's why they're
          > inviting us here.
          > So I beseech to you,
          > that we boogaloo
          > and make this namespace rocking rover
          > to define our poo.

          Let's go, then. ...wish I could make my comments rhyme.

          "playerHeight is the height of the window that the playerUrl should be
          opened in. It is an optional attribute.

          playerWidth is the width of the window that the playerUrl should be
          opened in. It is an optional attribute"

          It seems to me that this info would be more useful if expressed in
          terms of metadata. That is, it should be the size of the movie,
          rather than the size of the player window. I suggest this change:
          "height is the height of the media item"

          (and ditto for playerWidth)

          I have many other thoughts, but will stick to just this one to see how
          things go.

          - Lucas
        • daviddhall@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 16, 2004
            Hi Lucas -

            The answer to your earlier question: No, it's not set in stone, and
            we really would like some valuable feedback on how to improve it.

            The main notion behind providing a "playerHeight" and "playerWidth"
            is to allow another site launching your "playerUrl" to render it with
            the correct browser height and width. While the actual media's height
            and width are important values, we can extract this from the actual
            content. Also, this sort of information isn't really necessary from
            the end user's perspective in order to view the content - the end
            user's client will determine the correct height and width. One of the
            things we really tried to focus on for our first proposal was
            allowing others to properly present the wide range of content that
            could be available in an RSS feed.

            We are definitely trying to figure out ways of allowing RSS feeds to
            include such additional meta information without bloating the current
            proposal too terribly much. This will prove to be very important in
            the cases where only a playerUrl is provided.

            In the near future, we'll post some of the ideas we had regarding
            this to get your thoughts on it. We welcome your ideas as well.

            Thanks-
            David Hall
            Yahoo! Search

            wrote:

            > --- In rss-media@yahoogroups.com, marc@b... wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey Lucas - funny meeting you here.
            > >
            > > :-)
            >

            > (^_^) yo G! Things are heating up for sure. Incredible or what
            for
            > Yahoo to be getting in so deep?
            >

            > > No I don't think this spec is fixed in stone. That's why they're
            > > inviting us here.
            > > So I beseech to you,
            > > that we boogaloo
            > > and make this namespace rocking rover
            > > to define our poo.
            >
            > Let's go, then. ...wish I could make my comments rhyme.

            > "playerHeight is the height of the window that the playerUrl should
            be
            > opened in. It is an optional attribute.
            >
            > playerWidth is the width of the window that the playerUrl should be
            > opened in. It is an optional attribute"
            >
            > It seems to me that this info would be more useful if expressed in
            > terms of metadata. That is, it should be the size of the movie,
            > rather than the size of the player window. I suggest this change:
            > "height is the height of the media item"
            >
            > (and ditto for playerWidth)
            >
            > I have many other thoughts, but will stick to just this one to see
            how
            > things go.
            >
            > - Lucas
          • lucas_gonze
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 17, 2004
              --- In rss-media@yahoogroups.com, daviddhall@y... wrote:
              > The main notion behind providing a "playerHeight" and "playerWidth"
              > is to allow another site launching your "playerUrl" to render it with
              > the correct browser height and width.
              > We are definitely trying to figure out ways of allowing RSS feeds to
              > include such additional meta information without bloating the current
              > proposal too terribly much. This will prove to be very important in
              > the cases where only a playerUrl is provided.

              Ok, so about the playerURL, this opens the question of what a player
              with a URL is. Why would a particular piece of media be accompanied
              by the player?

              Thanks.

              - Lucas