Re: [Fwd: Re: [rss-media] Specification currently lists the wrong namespace]

  • Ryan Parman
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2009
      Sapna, et al:

      Several months back, there was discussion about placing the custodianship of the Media RSS spec with the RSS Advisory Board. The folks at Yahoo! at the time had consented that it was a good idea (I believe this was Jeremy Zawdony, IIRC), but there never seemed to be any forward progress on that initiative.

      My concern stems from the fact that the Media RSS spec has been broken/incorrect multiple times now under Yahoo!'s custodianship. This is a spec that many people depend on, and speaking as the developer of the SimplePie RSS parser, arbitrarily changing the namespace URL substantially affects our ability to handle Media RSS feeds. (We already have to normalize the two different Media RSS namespace URLs that are floating around: one with, and one without the trailing slash -- which was broken for over a year.)

      I would really like to see the RSS Advisory Board pass a resolution to publish the namespace documentation on its site with the proper longtime namespace URI. Netscape trusted the board to oversee RSS 0.90 and RSS 0.91, and I would hope that Yahoo! would be able to see that this transfer of custodianship would be a Good Thing™ for the Media RSS community.

      Future changes to the spec could be handled by the Media RSS community, of which Yahoo! and others could be a part.

      Thoughts?

      On Jul 28, 2009, at 12:52 AM, Sapna Chandiramani wrote:

      Folks,

      I apologize for the issues on behalf of Yahoo.
      There were indeed some problems with the spec. This happened when we were moving the spec to the Video Search servers so it would be easier to respond to issues and requests henceforth.

      In any case, we have reverted back the spec. We are also working on a newer version of the spec that addresses some concerns this group had pointed out earlier, as well as some enhancements that we felt would be good to have.

      We will send that out for review to you soon.

      Thanks,
      Sapna

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2009
        I wouldn't necessarily trust the RSS advisory board any more than Yahoo.

        Besides - last I heard RSS 2.0 is already like 4 years old, so even talking about versions .9 or .91 says it all.

        How 'bout you think about combining Media RSS with the efforts on-going efforts behind Activity Streams and DiSO?

        These folks are state-of-the-art and they've been talking about media meta-data - so NOW is the time to converge Media RSS with those efforts and get these schemas in sync with microformats, etc.

        IMHO

        - marc

        wrote:

        It looks like Yahoo once again arbitrarily changed the spec without
        telling anybody.

        As of the last update that anybody was aware of, we had:

        03/12/2008 - Namespace corrections: [1.1.2]

        * Added trailing slash to namespace

        The correct namespace *should* be exactly what you posted.
        Apparently, Yahoo thought it'd be a good idea to change the
        namespace again and break all sorts of parsing software. It is
        embarrassing how badly they've bungled this spec.

        Once upon a time it fell to Jeremy Zawdony, but he's left Yahoo
        since then. From what I can tell, nobody at Yahoo is paying
        attention to this spec.

        On Jul 20, 2009, at 8:20 AM, James Abley wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm putting http://search.yahoo.com/mrss/
        > <http://search.yahoo.com/mrss/> into my browser, which used to
        > display the spec and have the correct namespace on the page. At
        > the moment, I'm getting a 302 back to
        >
        > Location: http://video.search.yahoo.com/mrss
        > <http://video.search.yahoo.com/mrss>
        >
        > and that URL is used as the namespace URI in the rendered
        > specification.
        >
        > Anyone else noticed this and know who to raise it with? I don't
        > want any more ambiguity in the world as to the correct namespace
        > URI for this extension!
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > James

        Joly MacFie 917 442 8665 Skype:punkcast
        WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com <http://wwwhatsup.com>
        http://pinstand.com <http://pinstand.com> - http://punkcast.com
        <http://punkcast.com>

      • Sapna Chandiramani
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2009

          I don’t think anyone at Yahoo! would have an issue of handing over the custodianship to another body. Once you agree on who it should be, we can take it forward.

          In the meantime, we will try to have the revised spec out for review to you by the end of the week.

          -Sapna