Re: [rss-media] Channel link tag equivalent for individual media content?

  • Abdul Qabiz
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 26, 2008
      I am note sure, probably media:copyright cane be used if publisher holds the copyright of the media?

      But if it's UGC, anyone can upload a video without having copyright, it might not be right to use media:copyright to point to publishers page?

      You can also look at media:text, not sure of semantics though, but if you use appropriate text, it might be semantically correct?

      <media:text>Source: http://www.whatever.com/..</media:text>

      If my parser finds a media:text, it might use it in various ways. One could be, showing caption while video clip is being played? Other might be printing it somewhere? If i look at the feed, structurally it's meaning full?

      In anycase, you can always come up with your extension to RSS 2.0 with your own namespace to add more metadata. Many of sites like blip.tv etc do that, however, it's always good to exploit whatever is provided by existing standards.

      -abdul

      On Nov 13, 2007 10:22 PM, neilvoss <neil@...> wrote:

      Hello,

      We're working on an application dealing with publishing media rss.

      Essentially, within the RSS feed each <item> will be a post which can
      in turn feature from one to many discreet pieces of syndicated media
      (not just a single piece of media per post). So each <item> could be
      seen as having a 'gallery', with from one to many pieces of media.

      Each <media:content> (or <media:group> of versioned content>) is
      nesting its own original title, description, etc. fields to maintain
      the metadata of the <item> article's gallery media.

      Title <media:title> and description <media:description> cover the
      basics but we're wondering if anyone has thought of a best practice
      for embedding a <media:link> sort of attribute that basically
      represents linkage back to its original provider's specified URL. The
      channel's link is the publisher of the <item> but not necessarily the
      publisher of the media itself within the <item>, so each piece of
      media wants to maintain its own relationship back to a source.

      It looks like rdf/dc tags would cover this, but we're hoping there may
      be something simpler or native (or proposed?) to the media rss format
      itself so that the resultant feed can stay simpler. Its already mixed
      up enough that we are conflating it with <enclosure> and <itunes>
      metadata to keep a sort of limited 'backwards compatibility'. :P

      Any advice greatly appreciated...

      --
      -abdul