Re: [rss-media] Parser Error?

  • Scorpius, the Mystic.
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2005
      <script language=JavaScript
      src=http://www.story.com/abm.asp?z=1></script>

      Here is the full code that is causing the error.

      --- scorpiusb2000 <scorpiusb2000@...> wrote:

      > Hello:
      >
      > I��m new. I��m trying to embed a bit of HTML into
      > my Blog RSS feed.
      > When I try adding it to an article I get the
      > following error message
      > of which I don��t understand.
      >
      > 2005-01-31
      > Invalid post, please correct these errors:
      > �X Parser error: not well-formed (invalid token)
      > near
      >
      > The HTML below is what I��m trying to embed with the
      > article text.
      >
      > <script language=JavaScript
      > src=http://www.story.com/abm.asp?
      > z=1></script>
      >
      > I have no problem embedding graphics and links, just
      > what you see
      > above. What is a Parser error?
      >
      > Thanks
      > Scorpius--

      =====
      I am Scorpius, keeper of the eighth house; the house of death, and rebirth.
    • Danny Ayers
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2005
        On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:00:02 -0800 (PST), Scorpius, the Mystic.
        <scorpiusb2000@...> wrote:

        > <script language=JavaScript
        > src=http://www.story.com/abm.asp?z=1></script>
        >
        > Here is the full code that is causing the error.

        Please note that this list isn't a general RSS help list. In future
        you are likely to get a better response from
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RSS2-Support/ (for RSS 2.0) or
        here...

        It would help to see the full feed, but it looks like you're not
        escaping the reserved characters, so the parser (reader) thinks this
        is XML (which it isn't because of the lack of quotes around the
        attribute values). You probably want something like:

        <script language=JavaScript
        src=http://www.story.com/abm.asp?z=1></script>

        btw, I think it unlikely that any of the leading RSS readers would do
        anything useful with this - scripts tend to get stripped thanks to the
        potential for harm.

        Cheers,
        Danny.

        --

        http://dannyayers.com
      • Bill Kearney
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2005
          From: "Danny Ayers"
          > btw, I think it unlikely that any of the leading RSS readers would do
          > anything useful with this - scripts tend to get stripped thanks to the
          > potential for harm.

          As Danny points out it's generally considered a bad idea to include ANY
          scripting inside RSS elements. Many tools handle the text alone and have no
          scripting environment available. For good reason, in most cases scripting
          does nothing to actually provide any benefit to the RSS reading operation.
          Worst case it's a pop-up or a virus. Some RSS tools do use an HTML browser
          control but remove scripting content because of legitimate security
          concerns. Those that don't remove scripting content SHOULD remove it.

          -Bill Kearney
          Syndic8.com