Re: Wordpress plugin for writing RSS Media extentions in Wordpress generated fee

  • melvinhcox
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
      Implementation of RSS Media extensions in WordPress is long overdue.

      Sadly, there appears to be a very palpable gap in communication
      between developers of the more advanced feed readers (Miro, FireAnt,
      etc.) and the teams working on Podcasting software.

      The WordPress community does not appear to understand that this IS
      (and will continue to be) a major issue for content producers wishing
      to utilize the very attractive WordPress framework. The tools offered
      via the Structured Blogging plugin are, in my view, not at all acceptable.

      At this writing, you appear to have three options:

      1) Write your own plugin (which I for one would be willing to purchase
      at a reasonable price 'in a New York minute').

      2) Commission the development of such a plugin.

      3) Join us in lobbying the team responsible for the popular podPress
      plugin to include full support for RSS Media extensions without
      further delay.

      Please see postings re Media RSS within the podPress User Group (also
      on Yahoo!).

      M.C.

      P.S. Our next best hope would be for the Participatory Culture
      Foundation's now dormant "Broadcast Machine" project to find the
      funding necessary for its full resurrection.

      --- In rss-media@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Wilhelm" <steve.wilhelm@...>
      wrote:

      > Is there a Wordpress plugin to include RSS Media extensions in
      > Wordpress generated feeds?

    • Michael Sullivan
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2007
        the last time i was involved in a similar discussion, i tossed up a
        sample wordpress blog and posted about custom field usage and editing
        the rss template:

        http://vastmachine.com/blog/

        however, i agree that a proper plugin or even better, native support
        in wordpress core.... is needed.

        sull

        On 8/2/07, melvinhcox <melcox@...> wrote:
        > Implementation of RSS Media extensions in WordPress is long overdue.
        >
        > Sadly, there appears to be a very palpable gap in communication
        > between developers of the more advanced feed readers (Miro, FireAnt,
        > etc.) and the teams working on Podcasting software.
        >
        > The WordPress community does not appear to understand that this IS
        > (and will continue to be) a major issue for content producers wishing
        > to utilize the very attractive WordPress framework. The tools offered
        > via the Structured Blogging plugin are, in my view, not at all acceptable.
        >
        > At this writing, you appear to have three options:
        >
        > 1) Write your own plugin (which I for one would be willing to purchase
        > at a reasonable price 'in a New York minute').
        >
        > 2) Commission the development of such a plugin.
        >
        > 3) Join us in lobbying the team responsible for the popular podPress
        > plugin to include full support for RSS Media extensions without
        > further delay.
        >
        > Please see postings re Media RSS within the podPress User Group (also
        > on Yahoo!).
        >

        > M.C.
        >

        > P.S. Our next best hope would be for the Participatory Culture
        > Foundation's now dormant "Broadcast Machine" project to find the
        > funding necessary for its full resurrection.
        >

        > --- In rss-media@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Wilhelm" <steve.wilhelm@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Is there a Wordpress plugin to include RSS Media extensions in
        > > Wordpress generated feeds?
        > >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Mike Meiser
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 13, 2007
          FYI, I was at Pixelodeon (videoblogging conference) in LA a few months back at a blogger.com session, wordpress was represented by at least one if not two people at that session, I think Matt himself might have been there and many members including those from blip and the videoblogging community repeatedly cited that blogger.com needed mediaRSS support and why.  It's importance for meta data, multiple enclosures and several other points was very well empasized. I spoke to a couple of the wordpress people afterward, I didn't beat the issue to death but I think they got the point.

          Show in a Box a vlog / video podcast specific wordpress plugin also debuted at Pixelodeon. Though I'm not sure it outputs mediaRSS it does address some of the problems of mediaRSS such as handling multiple video types through vPIP, one of the included plugins.

          Perhaps there's some opportunity there for development.  The developer is Enric. He should be contactable through the blog if he's not already on this list.  In fact, it looks like they have a vPIP google group. I just signed up.

          I must say I'd really really love to see full mediaRSS support in Wordpress too.  What we've mostly been doing to get around the problem is using various microformats since they can be specified right in the HTML.

          I can't believe there's no "proper" MediaRSS plugin yet.  Perhaps between Enric, Sull yourself and a few others we can bang something out. I volunteer my time but I'm only good for testing and support as I'm not much of a programmer.

          -Mike

          Michael Meiser
          mmeiser.com/blog

          On 8/2/07, Michael Sullivan <sulleleven@...> wrote:
          the last time i was involved in a similar discussion, i tossed up a
          sample wordpress blog and posted about custom field usage and editing
          the rss template:

          http://vastmachine.com/blog/

          however, i agree that a proper plugin or even better, native support
          in wordpress core.... is needed.

          sull

          On 8/2/07, melvinhcox <melcox@...> wrote:
          > Implementation of RSS Media extensions in WordPress is long overdue.
          >
          > Sadly, there appears to be a very palpable gap in communication
          > between developers of the more advanced feed readers (Miro, FireAnt,
          > etc.) and the teams working on Podcasting software.
          >
          > The WordPress community does not appear to understand that this IS
          > (and will continue to be) a major issue for content producers wishing
          > to utilize the very attractive WordPress framework. The tools offered
          > via the Structured Blogging plugin are, in my view, not at all acceptable.
          >
          > At this writing, you appear to have three options:
          >
          > 1) Write your own plugin (which I for one would be willing to purchase
          > at a reasonable price 'in a New York minute').
          >
          > 2) Commission the development of such a plugin.
          >
          > 3) Join us in lobbying the team responsible for the popular podPress
          > plugin to include full support for RSS Media extensions without
          > further delay.
          >
          > Please see postings re Media RSS within the podPress User Group (also
          > on Yahoo!).
          >

          > M.C.
          >

          > P.S. Our next best hope would be for the Participatory Culture
          > Foundation's now dormant "Broadcast Machine" project to find the
          > funding necessary for its full resurrection.
          >

          > --- In rss-media@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Wilhelm" <steve.wilhelm@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Is there a Wordpress plugin to include RSS Media extensions in
          > > Wordpress  generated feeds?
          > >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings: