Call for Proposals: BlogTalk 2008 - The 5th Int'l Conf. on Social Software - Cork, Ireland - 3-4 March 2008

  • John Breslin
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2007
      BlogTalk 2008
      The 5th International Conference on Social Software
      Cork, Ireland - 3-4 March 2008

      http://blogtalk.net/

      = Overview =

      Following the international success of previous BlogTalk events in 2003,
      2004, 2005 and 2006, the next BlogTalk - to be held in Cork, Ireland on
      3-4 March 2008 - is continuing with its focus on social software, while
      remaining committed to the diverse cultures, practices and tools of our
      emerging networked society. The conference is designed to maintain a
      sustainable dialog between developers, innovative academics and scholars
      who study social software, practitioners and administrators in corporate
      and educational settings, and other general members of the social
      software community.

      We invite you to submit a proposal for presentation at the BlogTalk 2008
      conference. Possible areas include, but are not limited to:

      * Forms and consequences of emerging social software practices
      * Social software in enterprise and educational environments
      * The political impact of social software
      * Applications, prototypes, concepts and standards

      = Participants and proposal categories =

      Due to the interdisciplinary nature of the conference, audiences will
      come from different fields of practice and will have different
      professional backgrounds. We strongly encourage proposals to bridge
      these cultural differences and to be understandable for all groups
      alike. Along those lines, we will offer three different submission
      categories:

      * Academic
      * Developer
      * Practitioner

      For academics, BlogTalk is an ideal conference for presenting and
      exchanging research work from current and future social software
      projects at an international level. For developers, the conference is a
      great opportunity to fly ideas, visions and prototypes in front of a
      distinguished audience of peers, to discuss, to link-up and to learn
      (developers may choose to give a practical demonstration rather than a
      formal presentation if they so wish). For practitioners, this is a venue
      to discuss use cases for social software and to report on any results
      you may have with like-minded individuals.

      = Submitting your proposals =

      Please upload your submission along with some personal information at
      the http://www.easychair.org/blogtalk2008/ site. You will receive a
      confirmation of the arrival of your submission within three working
      days. The submission deadline is November 16th, 2007. The length of the
      proposal should be between two and four pages. BlogTalk is a
      peer-reviewed conference.

      = Timeline and important dates =

      Proposal submission deadline: November 16th, 2007

      Notification of acceptance or rejection: December 7th, 2007

      Paper version due: January 7th, 2008

      Presentations and abstracts on website due: February 7th, 2008

      (We will work hard to endow a fund for supporting travel costs. As soon
      as we review all of the papers we will be able to announce more details.)

      = Chairs =

      * John Breslin
      * Thomas N. Burg
      * Tom Raftery