Re: [RSS-DEV] Re: Finding RDF services (or: imminent death of usenet predicted)

  • Dan Brickley
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2000
      On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Aaron Swartz wrote:

      > Dan Brickley <daniel.brickley@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Anyway, what do you all reckon? am I making any sense?
      >
      > I think this would be rather cool. So how would it work? People'd post XML
      > files to the newsgroup? Count me on the bandwagon!

      People and/or machines. Writing and reading. BTW I realise there are
      some sensitivities surrounding mechanical posting to Usenet, but that's
      the basic idea.

      It generalises beyond RSS (and RDF I guess) -- you could use it for
      discovery of SOAP/XML-RPC interfaces and the like. My guess is that such
      a system would only really become interesting when the messages were
      digitally signed... Eg. I could filter for just those RDF announcements
      that were assured in some way by a listmember of rss-dev, if I had a database
      of the public keys of folk on this and similar lists(*).

      Anyone who knows news:comp.infosystems.announce should get the
      picture. An alt.* group rather than a comp.infosystems.* group seems the
      best place to begin experimenting though.

      Dan

      (*)
      BTW following this tangent... a few weeks back Rael, Edd,
      myself and others made a start on a mutual key-signing effort, mostly
      using http://www.gnupg.org/ -- that might provide some basis for
      dealing with the chaos that a news:alt.rdf.* infospew might create. I
      started work on an RDF representation of those key-signings, but fear
      what I've done to date is rather toy. (This is a small part of an
      insanely ambitious project I'm working on, but won't shout about here
      until my code matches my rhetoric ;-)

      For the curious,
      http://snowball.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/~pldab/rdfweb/danbri.wot.rdf
      graphically depicted in:
      http://snowball.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/~pldab/rdfweb/danbri.wot.gif
      shows a fragment of this data, dumped from GPG into RDF and graphed with
      my RDFViz service.
    • Libby Miller
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
        Hi,

        <de-lurk>
        I work with Dan Brickley at the ILRT and I've been following the RSS1.0
        discussions with interest.
        </de-lurk>

        Ages ago I looked at some sitemaps stuff with Dan - I'd be quite keen to
        do a literature review. I'll see how things pan out later this week.

        Libby

        On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Dan Brickley wrote:

        > > > There's not a lot to know really. What little conventions exist are in
        > > > the HTML 4+ specs somewhere. Everything else is made up.
        > >
        > > So, do you think it would be proper for us to (suggest? recommend?) the use
        > > of LINK REL="rss" or LINK RSS="rss1.0p" to refer to RSS files?
        >
        > Not sure enough of the rules/conventions, but seems a good approach to
        > me. Would be nicer if it allowed a URI. Maybe the notion of an
        > an HTML profile, see view/src of http://www.w3.org/ for pointer to
        > http://www.w3.org/2000/08/w3c-synd/# for an example. Would need reading
        > up on.
        >

        > > > As an aside, also worth mentioning that HTML LINK types can be used
        > > > (per document and per hyperlink) for sitemap-style apps, which is
        > > > pretty close to RSSville.
        > > > [[ oh, just noticed Aaron's just found the link I was about to
        > > > mention! ;-]]
        > >
        > > What synergy! I definitely think that RSS is a perfect application (along
        > > with XHTML/HTML) for these types of links. RSS publications of weblogs could
        > > have so much more semantic meaning if the links used this kind of annotation
        > > (tying back to your demonstration of RDF-in-Weblogs). Not to mention the
        >
        > Don't think I circulated that yet. I'll clean it up first... (I'm not
        > used to weblogging -- it feels so naked ;-)
        >
        > > stuff being discussed over on XML-DIST-APP about
        > > XML-push-email-notification-etc. Whoa, lots of things connecting here.
        >
        > Everything's connected :-)
        >

        > > > I'm hopelessly overcommitted and unlikely to find much time
        > > > in the next month or so to work on linktypes for sitemapping.
        > >
        > > Had a feeling... That's OK, perhaps there are others out there willing to
        > > take on the task. (I can moderate, but I doubt I'm able or qualified to do
        > > the actual work myself.)
        >
        > that'd be good. It's mostly a dull matter of reading specs, and the
        > interesting work of doing a literature review to see what's been done
        > before. There's a strong HCI aspect to doing this right...
        >
        > Dan

      • h4x0rific
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 20, 2001
          I stumbled across this thread via Google today - did anything ever
          come of the Usenet as RDF exchange idea ? Was the proposal rejected ?

          I apologize for dredging the archives, but the idea seems very
          interesting.

          :D

          -brian donovan
          http://www.lophty.com/kumo/