Re: [RSS-DEV] link rel in RSS 2.0

  • Lucas Gonze
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
      Thanks for responding, Ken.

      The usecase here is to point to an alternate representation of a feed.
      Working from this example:
      <channel rdf:about="http://example.com/news.rss">

      I add the alternate representation as '<ns:name
      rdf:resource="http://example.com/news.smil"/>' and get:
      <channel rdf:about="http://example.com/news.rss">
      <ns:name rdf:resource="http://example.com/news.smil"/>

      However the ns:name element is still undefined at the application
      level, and I still need to get the mime type in there so newsreaders
      can figure out what to do with alternate representations.

      Anyway, as I think about this I realize it's a bad idea because
      newsreaders wouldn't know what to do with it. I'm better off pointing
      to an HTML resource that redirects to the alternate resource, since
      browser hacks are easier than newsreader hacks.

      -Lucas

      On Thursday, Jan 1, 2004, at 00:16 America/New_York, Ken MacLeod wrote:

      > Lucas Gonze <lgonze@...> writes:
      >
      >> Is there an analog to the HTML <link rel=...> element in any of the
      >> Userland strains of RSS?
      >
      >> How about in the RDF strain?
      >
      > Every property in RDF is an analog to the HTML link (or meta) element.
      >
      > For HTML's <link> element, RFC-2731, Encoding Dublin Core Metadata in
      > HTML[1], defines a technique for defining namespaces for the use in
      > HTML's @rel attribute of <link> and <meta> tags.
      >
      > In RDF, you take the qualified name that would have been used in the
      > <link> @rel attribute and use that as the property name directly:
      >
      > <ns:name rdf:resource="URI"/>
      >
      > If you want to add a title, type, or other metadata about that URI,
      > then just use it as the subject of another RDF node:
      >
      > <rdf:Description rdf:about="URI">
      > <dc:title>Title</dc:title>
      > </rdf:Description>
      >
      > If you'd like more examples, let us know.
      >
      > -- Ken
      >
      > [1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2731.txt
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Dave Winer
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
        Lucas, what is it you're trying to link to?

        If it's an HTML version of the content in the RSS file, then the
        channel-level link element is perfect.

        http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss#requiredChannelElements

        If it's something else you need to link to, then a new element in a new
        namespace is called for.

        Dave

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2004
          Hi Dave,

          What I have is a playlist in several different formats (M3U, SMIL, etc).
          The RSS feed is to track items as they're added to the playlist, and
          there's an HTML view for reading the playlist. The HTML view is not half
          as useful as the playlist formats, though, so I'd prefer to link to
          them rather than the HTML.

          ...need to add the playlist links via a new namespace... Ok, I don't mind
          there not being a solution already as long as the answer is clear.
          Thanks.

          - Lucas