language by item?

  • Phil Wolff
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2003
      The optional language element is for an entire feed. I'm delighted
      to find that this doesn't work for some people. Many people,
      especially outside the USA, write in two or more languages in one
      blog. Would it make sense to extend the option tag to also work as
      an item element? The default language would be the one for the
      channel, but an item's language element could override.

      On the writing end, blogging tools could offer an optional checkbox
      for second, third languages when editing a post.

      On the reading end today, you can select those posts that you can
      read.

      On the reading end tomorrow, your newsreader will be able to run the
      posts you can't read through Babelfish or some other machine
      translation.

      Inspired by a trip to http://blogspot.net in Vienna.
    • Chris Croome
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2003
        Hi

        On Mon 02-Jun-2003 at 04:43:23PM -0000, Phil Wolff wrote:
        > The optional language element is for an entire feed.

        It can also be used with items and this has always been the case with
        RSS 1.0.

        Also all elements can use the xml:lang attribute and if we ever get
        around to allowing element to be repeated you could do things like
        this:

        <dc:title xml:lang="en">Foo</dc:title>
        <dc:title xml:lang="de">Foo</dc:title>
        <dc:language>en</dc:language>
        <dc:language>de</dc:language>

        (For backwards compatability we wouldn't want <link> and <title>
        elements to be repeatable)

        Chris

        --
        Chris Croome <chris@...>