Search Engines and Syndication

  • Doug Ransom
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2003
      Right now, are there any increases in search engine visibility for sites
      that produce RSS and mark them up with metadata? Does having an RSS
      feed listed in Syndic8 of newsisfree help?

      My employer has a feed listed in
      http://www.newsisfree.com/sources/info/5718/. Is this helping us
      (outside of those
      who already know about us and monitor our content)?

      It seems to me the main advantage to feed providers right now is that
      people come back to their sites. Maybe there is a little improvement in
      search engine visibility through incresed links if the content gets
      aggregated somewhere.

      Daypop doesn't monitor corporate sites that might have press releases or
      job ads in them.

      Doug Ransom
    • burton@openprivacy.org
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2003
        Doug Ransom <doug.ransom@...> writes:

        > Right now, are there any increases in search engine visibility for sites that
        > produce RSS and mark them up with metadata? Does having an RSS feed listed in
        > Syndic8 of newsisfree help?
        <snip/>

        I asked Google about this last week. Their crawler does not index RDF or RSS
        files. You are darkmatter...

        Kevin

        --

        Help Support NewsMonster Development! Purchase NewsMonster PRO!

        http://www.newsmonster.org/download-pro.html

        Kevin A. Burton ( burton@..., burton@..., burton@... )
        AIM - sfburtonator, Web - http://www.peerfear.org/
        GPG fingerprint: 4D20 40A0 C734 307E C7B4 DCAA 0303 3AC5 BD9D 7C4D
        IRC - openprojects.net #infoanarchy | #p2p-hackers | #reptile

        Fill your bowl to the brim
        and it will spill.
        Keep sharpening your knife
        and it will blunt.
        Chase after money and security
        and your heart will never unclench.
        Care about people's approval
        and you will be their prisoner.

        Do your work, then step back.
        The only path to serenity.
        - Lau-tzu - Tao Te Ching
      • Phil Ringnalda
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2003
          burton@... wrote:
          > Doug Ransom <doug.ransom@...> writes:
          >
          >> Right now, are there any increases in search engine visibility for
          >> sites that produce RSS and mark them up with metadata? Does having
          >> an RSS feed listed in Syndic8 of newsisfree help?
          > <snip/>
          >
          > I asked Google about this last week. Their crawler does not index
          > RDF or RSS files. You are darkmatter...

          Well, they might not intend to, but they certainly do: when I want to see
          who's using a module or how, I just search for the namespace URI, and a
          search like
          http://www.google.com/search?q=%22purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/syndication/%22
          will generally turn up quite a few RSS files along with the HTML pages
          talking about it. In fact, through whatever mischance, more than once when I
          was searching with something targeted that I knew would retrieve a
          particular post, I've gotten the RSS feed as my top result, rather than the
          HTML. I assume it's just an error, since it's a pretty useless search result
          to be delivering to a browser, but they are indexing them and returning them
          in results.

          Phil Ringnalda
        • James Linden
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5, 2003
            > > Right now, are there any increases in search engine visibility for sites
            that
            > > produce RSS and mark them up with metadata? Does having an RSS feed
            listed in
            > > Syndic8 of newsisfree help?
            > <snip/>
            >
            > I asked Google about this last week. Their crawler does not index RDF or
            RSS
            > files. You are darkmatter...

            A search for "allinurl: rss" or "allinurl: rdf" (and variations of both)
            will turn up quite a few RSS and RDF feeds as well.

            James