Cramming a world of RDF into RSS -- or not.

  • Ken MacLeod
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2002
      I witnessed a moment of clarity that I hope might help the discussion
      around RDF and what is RSS and to whom.

      Nicholas 'Aquarion' Avenell created an "even simpler" RSS than RSS 3.0
      that he calls ESF[1]. It looks like this:

      title Aquarionics
      contact aquarion@... (Aquarion)
      link http://www.aquarionics.com/

      1032882396 Pong http://www.aquarionics.com/index.php?id=739
      1032649452 Death. http://www.aquarionics.com/index.php?id=731

      It's crystal clear that, similar (in practice) to RSS 0.9, there is no
      place for additional metadata about items *within* the RSS feed. If
      you want to look for more metadata, auto-discover it thru the URL.

      This represents the extreme "no metainfo" end of RSS where RSS 1.0 and
      RSS 2.0 represent the "metadata you want" end of RSS. Every other
      format is somewhere in between (and then who gets to decide the
      metadata you want).

      There have been grand claims that "RDF folks want to crame a world of
      RDF into RSS" just as there are actual examples of same, just as there
      are people cramming entire syndicated content into RSS without even
      using RDF. There are people who disagree that RSS files should
      contain tons of metadata *or* full content.

      I just want to be clear that just because people want to use an XML
      format or people want to use an RDF/XML format *does not* mean that
      everyone is planning on throwing the world into an RSS feed.

      The question "Why use the technology RDF in RSS?" is in the same
      league as the question "Why use the technology XML in RSS?" Or ASN,
      or property lists, or INI files, or Pickle, or RFC-822, or...

      The *amount* of information is a seperate issue.

      -- Ken

      [1] <http://www.aquarionics.com/nodes/view.php?name=esf>
    • Bill Kearney
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 25, 2002
        > Nicholas 'Aquarion' Avenell created an "even simpler" RSS than RSS 3.0
        > that he calls ESF[1]. It looks like this:

        Startling like plain old SMTP or NNTP sessions, now isn't it?
        (sighs) sensing heavy case of wheel reinventing going on...

        > I just want to be clear that just because people want to use an XML
        > format or people want to use an RDF/XML format *does not* mean that
        > everyone is planning on throwing the world into an RSS feed.

        Absoutely correct!

        A fine example of cool use of modules:
        http://www.syndic8.com/feedinfo.php?FeedID=12438&Section=xml

        Take note of it's use of a dwsyn module.

        > The question "Why use the technology RDF in RSS?" is in the same
        > league as the question "Why use the technology XML in RSS?" Or ASN,
        > or property lists, or INI files, or Pickle, or RFC-822, or...

        Precisely. Why use namespaces? Well, reading up on SMTP headers should give
        people some enlightenment. It's a morass. So's XML but it's better for having
        seen the suffering had during the 7-bit vs 8-bit wars for e-mail!

        > The *amount* of information is a seperate issue.

        Quite right. If we're talking about being 'bit stingy' we've got a whole other
        set of arguments that can be made. Let's not fall prey to THAT strawman.

        -Bill Kearney