Re: Guilt by association?

  • jdklub
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 17, 2002
      > For those unfamiliar with the matter, Dave's now resorted to
      > calling myself and
      > Morbus monsters. And he's trying to drag Ben Hammersley and the
      > Guardian down
      > by association.

      For a man who is so ready to cry foul on any critque of his ideas he
      believes to be an ad hominem attack, he certainly has no qualms
      about dishing them out. His internally inconsistent arguments,
      immediate disregard for other's ideas (unless he likes them, in
      which case he champions it and then claims it as his own), and
      downright childish behavior make him impossible to deal with. Just
      read any debate he's been involved with.

      I don't know what goes through Dave's head, but I can hardly see how
      calling people names is of any help to anyone. Pratice what you
      preach, or don't preach at all.

      I've never worked with Morbus or had any contact with him, but he
      seems like a decent guy. Reading his comments in context, I beleive
      he means to only indicate that he and Dave don't get along. It was a
      joke, Morbus said as much.

      Why Ben has been dragged into this is beyond me. So he wrote and
      article that didn't mention Dave's product. Big deal. Ben's under no
      obligation to mention Dave's or anybody else's stuff, near as I can
      tell.

      As for Bill, I've worked with him on Syndic8 for a while and
      corresponded with him on many matters. He's no monster, and he's not
      malicious. He's a nice guy, he's full of ideas, and willing to dig
      in and get the ball rolling. Futhermore, he's willing to engage in
      actual structured, civil, debate. It's ashame that all this has had
      to sidetrack him from more important matters
      [http://rss.benhammersley.com/archives/001245.html%5d.

      In short: Bill's a nice guy. Ben, from my experience, is a nice guy.
      And Morbus, near as I can tell, is a nice guy too. And they're all
      intelligent and willing to contribute to the community. Don't let
      Dave convince you otherwise with this, or any other, fit he happens
      to throw.

      -justin
    • Jeff Barr
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 17, 2002
        Justin says,

        > As for Bill, I've worked with him on Syndic8 for a while and
        > corresponded with him on many matters. He's no monster, and he's not
        > malicious. He's a nice guy, he's full of ideas, and willing to dig
        > in and get the ball rolling. Futhermore, he's willing to engage in
        > actual structured, civil, debate. It's ashame that all this has had
        > to sidetrack him from more important matters

        Seconded! Don't believe what Dave says about Bill, its all a pack of lies.
        I've met Bill in person, he's stayed in my guest room, and he's
        a genuinely good guy.

        > I've never worked with Morbus or had any contact with him, but he
        > seems like a decent guy. Reading his comments in context, I beleive
        > he means to only indicate that he and Dave don't get along. It was a
        > joke, Morbus said as much.

        Back when I used to have time to log in to AIM, Morbus and I had a
        bunch of pleasant conversations. It was clear that he was joking in
        his own patented Morbish way, and no one that had read the rest of his
        immense body of work would have thought otherwise for even a
        second.

        Jeff;
      • funzelkick
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 18, 2002
          "Jeff Barr says I lied about Bill Kearney's message about deathbeds. I
          don't see how Jeff could possibly know."

          Perhaps he made the same expiriences with Dave as I did. Dave lied
          about my emails.

          bye
          -stephan

          --
          http://www.snipsnap.org
        • Ian Davis
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 19, 2002
            On Thursday, 19 September 2002 at 07:47, funzelkick wrote:
            > Perhaps he made the same expiriences with Dave as I did. Dave lied
            > about my emails.
            I would recommend that no-one correspond privately with Dave Winer.
            Whenever I send him email I always copy it to a public archive.

            Ian
          • Bill Kearney
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 19, 2002
              > Seconded! Don't believe what Dave says about Bill, its all a
              > pack of lies. I've met Bill in person, he's stayed in my guest
              > room, and he's a genuinely good guy.

              Why thanks Jeff. I certainly appreciate the kind words. And for
              anyone that's not had the pleasure of meeting Jeff he's a wonderfully
              pleasant guy. Especially for someone that juggles (along with his
              gracious wife Carmen) a family of FIVE children from primary up to
              high school ages. It's been quite fun to converse with him and hear
              the oft-repeated "ooops, gotta run, soccer practice..." and the
              like.

              Since folks might not be clear on how the links are running around,
              they can follow this one to see the infamous 'deathbed' comment:

              -Bill Kearney
            • Jon Hanna
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 20, 2002
                > Since folks might not be clear on how the links are running around,
                > they can follow this one to see the infamous 'deathbed' comment:

                So you in fact expressed a wish that Dave should have a long life. LOL. And
                to think that someone here said I was out of line for suggesting that the
                only point in reading anything he wrote was for laughs.