Re: [LONG/PROPOSAL] UUID/GUIDs Within RSS and RDF

  • kelliottmccrea
    Message 1 of 34 , Sep 14, 2002
      > Well, factor in that certain RSS feeds are from sites that "reuse"
      > their URLs. News sites where http//:example.com/site/item1.xml on
      > one day points to entirely different content the next day. Yes,
      > horrifying on the face of it, but a reality in the way the site
      > operators run things.

      Well the urls of the form http://www.example.com/news/latest.html are
      very useful. But what is the lastest news (or whatever) is an
      ephemeral concept, and not something that it seems you would
      syndicate. (or you could syndicate the resource, "Our Latest News",
      but not a single item instance of it)

      However if people are regularily changing the url their content reside
      at, without providing some sort of permalink then someone needs to hit
      them upside the head with cluestick, or at least politely suggest they
      read "Cool URIs Don't Change"[1]. I really don't think someone who
      can't provide a permanent URL for an item is ready to engage in
      syndication.

      kellan

      1. http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html
    • kelliottmccrea