Re: [RSS-DEV] discussion on dcterms date usage?

  • Morten Frederiksen
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 6, 2002
      Hi,

      On Friday 06 September 2002 20:46, Bill wrote:
      > > I was refering to the channel level pubDate, but it should hold for both
      > > cases: Since the date is metadata, it refers to the channel/item in
      > > question. An item is updated when it's content is updated, and a channel
      > > is updated when it's set of items are updated.
      > Right, so on a static feed the pubDate and lastBuildDate are essentially
      > the same? And on a dynamic feed the pubDate is based on the set of items
      > and the lastBuildDate is the current clock?
      D%¤#¤%, I meant to write lastBuildDate there, which is updated as mentioned
      above.
      pubDate would always be dcterms:issued, and never changes for items. For
      channels it's a little more muddy, I'm not sure when it would make sense for
      both dates to be present, except for an initial publication date, as in the
      date the channel went online.

      > > This means that, say, addition of a new metadata element to all items
      > > wouldn't change the items themselves, and as such not the channel, even
      > > if this means that the XML is changed.
      > Hmm, I'm not sure I follow this. If an item's text doesn't change but it's
      > metadata does
      <snips/>
      True, metadata could be important, but if I've seen a headline already,
      changing the metadata is not likely to make me want to see it again.

      > Perhaps the timestamping
      > of items could be written up as /encouraging/ a given practice but leaving
      > it flexible to the implementors needs.
      Yep, that would work, and would give the author the power of deciding a
      relevant change to some degree, still leaving readers a choice whether to
      update based on only metadata changes (assuming some memory of already seen
      items).

      Regards,
      Morten Frederiksen