RDFMap, a proposed RSS 1.0 module for mapping

  • Chris Goad
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 25, 2002

      I've put together a draft of  a simple RSS 1.0 module for  mapping. It defines classes and properties  which express the locations of resources, and how they should be depicted on a map.  The spec is called "RDFMap" and can be found at www.mapbureau.com/rdfmap

      An applicaton based on RDFMap for  mapping  the contents of weblogs can be found at www.blogmapper.com  This app is a stab at bringing the ability not only to view but to create online maps to the web public via a simple extension to weblogging technology.  Blogmapper was concieved and implemented  in collaboration with Jason Harlan (harlan@...)

      Comments on the spec (or the application, for that matter) are solicited.

      Chris Goad

    • Bill Kearney
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 25, 2002
        Doesn't the Dublin Core qualifiers already cover geographic positions?

        I've suggested that feeds embed metadata into their 'main' HTML page that
        indicates their geographic positioning. This as opposed to stuffing it into the
        feeds themselves. Which, if they desired doing so, could be well implemented
        with DCMI Point elements using DC modifiers. Not to say you're this isn't a
        good suggestion; I like the idea and believe the more the merrier.

        http://www.syndic8.com/help_metadata.php
        http://www.syndic8.com/feedinfo.php?FeedID=10235
        http://www.syndic8.com/~wkearney/blogs/syndic8/

        I'm open to discussion on how to expand the use of geographic data into more
        sites/feeds/blogs. I've been dragging my feet on implementing it on Syndic8 but
        the infrastructure for it is already present. I've applied geographic server
        location metadata for the feeds already. It's based on NetGeo detection but
        it's better than nothing. Official, user supplied, geographic positioning seems
        like a better idea but I've got only a small portion of the work completed on a
        user metadata builder.

        -Bill Kearney

        I've put together a draft of a simple RSS 1.0 module for mapping. It defines
        classes and properties which express the locations of resources, and how they
        should be depicted on a map. The spec is called "RDFMap" and can be found at
        www.mapbureau.com/rdfmap

        An applicaton based on RDFMap for mapping the contents of weblogs can be found
        at www.blogmapper.com This app is a stab at bringing the ability not only to
        view but to create online maps to the web public via a simple extension to
        weblogging technology. Blogmapper was concieved and implemented in
        collaboration with Jason Harlan (harlan@...)

        Comments on the spec (or the application, for that matter) are solicited.

        Chris Goad
        cg@...
        www.mapbureau.com
      • burton@openprivacy.org
        • Bill Kearney
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 25, 2002
            > If you made these into RSS entries one could aggregate the data and build a
            > piece of hardware (or with a PDA) to view close hotspots.

            Or make an Web Services call into Syndic8 with your current lat/long and request
            a list of feeds within a given radius.

            Sort of like this preliminary page:
            http://www.syndic8.com/locate.php

            It's only based on the NetGeo server IP lat/long.

            -Bill Kearney
          • Chris Croome
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 25, 2002
              Hi

              On Thu 25-Jul-2002 at 05:36:37PM -0400, Bill Kearney wrote:

              > Doesn't the Dublin Core qualifiers already cover geographic
              > positions?

              Sure the qualifier for dc:coverage, dcterms:spatial [1] can be used
              with 4 types of spatial encoding [2] including DCMI Box [3] and DCMI
              Point [4].

              Chris

              [2] http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmes-qualifiers/#coverage

              [3] http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-box/

              [4] http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-point/
            • chrisgoad46n124w
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 27, 2002
                --- In rss-dev@y..., "Bill Kearney" <wkearney99@h...> wrote:

                > Doesn't the Dublin Core qualifiers already cover geographic
                positions?

                Yes. rdfmap:location is indeed a refinement of dc:coverage, and
                rdfmap:Point and rdfmap:Box obviously have similar intent to DCMI
                Point and Box. However, there are a couple of issues. DCMI Point
                and Box define positions via the properties "east" and "north"
                instead of "x" and "y". This actually can cause real confusion in
                some cases, because the coordinates of a point derive their physical
                meaning from the projection specified, and not all projections
                permit the coordinates to be interpreted as latitude and longitude.
                For example, the various projections for the polar regions (gnomonic,
                polar steregraphic ..) don't allow this interpretation. A more common
                instance of this is the use of coordinates relative to maps of
                unknown orientation (which our spec permits). For example, I can
                use a Jpeg of my garden as a map this way, without saying or perhaps
                knowing where north points. It is not just a little confusing to be
                forced to call the coordinates "east" and "north" in these cases.

                Another issue is that the dominant open spec for geography, GML, uses
                x and y for coordinates, and lets the projection carry orientation
                information. It might be more important to adhere to GMLs
                conventions, which are widely used in the relevant discipline, than
                to Dublin Core.

                Hence the decision to define Points and Boxes using differently named
                properties. Is this enough to put us out of compliance with DCMI
                recommendations? Should we use the tags dc:Point, dc:Box if our
                properties are different?

                Also, RDFMap covers one additional class needed to actually go ahead
                and do mapping of web resources (as at www.blogmapper.com): the class
                rdfmap:Map, which specifies the step from projected coordinates to
                coordinates on a map in SVG, Swf, Jpeg or whatever.

                A more general point/question:

                I think that mapping web resources in a way that fits in with RSS is
                a good idea for many applications. (I'm glad to learn that syndic8 is
                doing some things in this area too). It seemed to me that a minimal
                vocabulary supporting this should be put together and formalized.
                Parts of such a vocabulary are of course scattered about (eg in GML
                Dublin core, Geo-tags), but not in a form that could quite serve the
                purpose. Proposing an RSS module seemed a reasonable approach.
                Scraping other kinds of data (I'm thinking particularly of geo-tags)
                into the module format, whatever it is, will be easy and useful.

                Comments? Anyone out there with ideas about what's needed to make a
                module of this kind work well for your current or anticipated
                applications? Is a module of this kind even the right approach?

                Meanwhile, I'm working on an RSS 0.9x variant, which will be ready
                shortly.

                Chris Goad
                cg@...
              • Chris Goad
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 29, 2002
                  I've changed RDFMap spec into a form with two variants: a "plain" XML variant compatible with RSS 0.9x, and an RDF variant compatible with RSS 1.0 (the latter is identical to the spec mentioned in earlier posts).  Unfortunately, this change means a new name is needed (already!), since RDF is now optional.  RSSMap is the new name. It can be found at http://www.mapbureau.com/rssmap  The implementation at http://www.blogmapper.com supports both variants.

                  Comments?

                  Chris Goad