RE: [RSS-DEV] An experiment in RSS collaboration

  • Duynstee, Teun
    Message 1 of 18 , May 31, 2001
      Let's not fuss about the usefullness of such an XSLT. Porting the existing
      one to 0.92 (or 0.91 for that matter) is so trivial. An untested attempt is
      attached (I have no Xalan running). I basically just ripped out a lot of
      stuff.

      Teun
    • Aaron Swartz
      Message 2 of 18 , May 31, 2001
        Dave Winer <dave@...> wrote:

        > A lot of people think that the roadmap I posted makes sense.

        The problem I see is that instead of a roadmap, it's more of a contract. And
        you're the one writing the contract, and we're worried that it might have
        some negative consequences for the work we've done. Let's make sure we know
        what we're getting into before we get into it.

        Peace takes time.

        --
        [ Aaron Swartz | me@... | http://www.aaronsw.com ]
      • Dave Winer
        Message 3 of 18 , May 31, 2001
          Well, I did the best I could. Perhaps I saw a way forward that others didn't
          see. I think if you guys give it a try, you'll see that having a clear name
          for the RDF work will make it go better. People will be able to promote your
          work without detracting from the power of other approaches. If it doesn't
          come together while I'm in the loop, so be it. I'd rather leave RSS with a
          strong presence, worth promoting, and provide a path for growth in new
          approaches such as the RDF one. Dave

          > > A lot of people think that the roadmap I posted makes sense.
          >
          > The problem I see is that instead of a roadmap, it's more of a contract.
          And
          > you're the one writing the contract, and we're worried that it might have
          > some negative consequences for the work we've done. Let's make sure we
          know
          > what we're getting into before we get into it.
          >
          > Peace takes time.
          >
          > --
          > [ Aaron Swartz | me@... | http://www.aaronsw.com ]

        • Dan Brickley
          Message 4 of 18 , May 31, 2001
            On Thu, 31 May 2001, Duynstee, Teun wrote:

            > Let's not fuss about the usefullness of such an XSLT. Porting the existing
            > one to 0.92 (or 0.91 for that matter) is so trivial. An untested attempt is
            > attached (I have no Xalan running). I basically just ripped out a lot of
            > stuff.

            Thanks! I put a couple of namespace declarations back in and it just
            worked (using the online XSLT service). Experimentally installed on the
            W3C server now, see links from

            http://www.w3.org/2000/08/w3c-synd/
            $Revision: 1.14 $ of $Date: 2001/05/31 17:24:11 $ by $Author: danbri $

            [[
            2001-05-31: experimental RSS 0.92 support, following an RSS-DEV
            discussion. The resulting RSS 0.92 feed and edited XSLT file are both
            available. Thanks to Teun Duynstee for making the first pass of
            edits to amend the stylesheet for RSS 0.92. Final tweaks by
            danbri. Send suggestions/fixes to RSS-DEV.
            ]]

            XSLT: http://www.w3.org/2000/08/w3c-synd/home2rss092.xsl
            RSS092 feed: http://www.w3.org/2000/08/w3c-synd/home092.rss

            I don't have an RSS 0.92 consumer app to hand, but it "looks OK to
            me". Let me know if any fixes are needed. There are more details we
            could add, eg if we thought a bit about how various parts of RSS 0.92
            (contact info etc) might be manifested in HTML. Could someone send a URL
            for some site using the new feed? (BTW if this OK, feel free to use the
            feed...)

            I agree that this was, technically, a trivial piece of work for us
            to do. But a useful one, imho. We show how someone can write an HTML
            home page in the style of http://www.w3.org/ and how some simple cheap
            tricks (xslt web service) can generate a variety of RSS flavours for a
            variety of consumers.

            My point was more that our getting around to doing this benefits
            everyone involved with RSS. The more Web sites we can encourage to
            expose RSS or XHTML the better. Regardless of version number.

            My concern about the proposed divide is that I think we are all really
            working on the same problem, and that there is a concern for simplicity
            common to all here. It'd be fun to work on some more 'trivial' apps that
            benefit everyone (eg. conventions for RSS channel discovery; HOWTOs
            and example pages for use with the XHTML dialect) and see whether it
            becomes addictive...

            Dan
          • Dan Brickley
            Message 5 of 18 , May 31, 2001
              With a bit more fiddling, a visit or two to the XSLT spec, *and* some
              help from friends (thanks danc, charles) I now know enough XSLT to generate
              the <language> element that the Userland aggregator requires. So the
              channel http://www.w3.org/2000/08/w3c-synd/home092.rss is showing up on
              My.Userland. Or it should, from the start of the next
              hour. http://my.userland.com/viewChannel$4421

              cool, thanks :)

              dan