Proposal RSSFAQ Group

  • Alis Marsden
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2001
      Could I propose the setting up of a new Yahoo!Group, RSSFAQ:

      A group to work on maintaining lots of good FAQ documents that are and kept
      up to date and to promote RSS.

      I started this in a very small way a couple of weeks ago by doing a basic
      FAQ for content providers. The document I did could be improved and *lots
      more* FAQ are needed.

      I did also purchase RSSFAQ.com as an easy to remember location for storing
      info, although I haven't set up DNS yet.

      I have some energy and if a couple of people could second this, I'd like to
      go ahead and start a discussion group to talk about how we can promote RSS
      and provide good, fair and freely available information to everyone.

      Alis Marsden
    • dave.cantrell@gunter.af.mil
      Message 2 of 4 , May 30, 2001
        >I have some energy and if a couple of people could second this, I'd like to
        >go ahead and start a discussion group to talk about how we can promote RSS
        >and provide good, fair and freely available information to everyone.

        Consider it seconded. :)

        I think this is a great idea. Would love to see your document.

        -dave
      • Alis Marsden
        Message 3 of 4 , May 30, 2001
          Dave Cantrell wrote:

          >Consider it seconded. :)

          Thanks Dave,

          >I think this is a great idea. Would love to see your document.

          The document I started is at http://www.purplepages.ie/RSS/index.html

          I'm afraid it is no masterpiece yet. I'm guilty of not wanting to include
          my own URLs unless their perfect :) I did include it once before on the
          Syndication list and I got 5 or 6 useful comments back. I'd just like to
          get a more organised effort going, get more comments, more FAQ addressing
          more issues...

          With Kindest Regards

          Alis Marsden
        • Alis Marsden
          Message 4 of 4 , May 30, 2001
            Hi All,

            OK, I've had one "go for it" [1] and one "not yet" [2], so I'm still here
            for the time being!
            I'll just be posting to syndication after this mail, I figure most people
            are on that list.

            Here are my basic ideas as to what RSSFAQ could do:

            * Produce RSS FAQ & Other Documents

            I think most of us agree that we need RSS FAQ.
            e.g. RSS FAQ for Content Providers, RSS FAQ for Content Management System
            Vendors, RSS Versions FAQ, RSS FAQ for Content Subscribers, ASP RSS FAQ...
            Writing these well and keeping them updated requires team work and
            discussion. I know people have said before that they are able to help with
            this type of work I think it would be helpful to organise these people in
            one place.

            * Distribute RSS FAQ & Other Documents

            That small effort RSS FAQ [3] I did two weeks ago has resulted in interest
            from other websites without any effort on my part. I have had mails from
            several websites asking can they reprint it in their newsletters or on their
            websites. So far I have been saying, "can I get back to you", because I
            don't want something reprinted unless it is finished. I do however think
            that, once we have documents we are all happy with, it makes absolute sense
            to let people reprint them. Submitting articles to article directories or
            writing to relevant websites and inviting them to reprint an article may be
            mundane admin but it could be very helpful to RSS. This type of
            distribution work is easy enough that anyone can do it, so lets get people
            doing it. I believe that most people like to be helpful and there are lots
            of people that care about RSS but are not going to be a technical
            contributor so lets utilize those people. Again I tend to think a
            non-technical list would be a better place to organise this.

            * Writing RSS Press Releases and News and Media Relations

            To keep up with RSS one currently needs to subscribe to three often busy
            lists. For people without a strong tech background, 20 mails about a
            subject like <errorReportsTo> and <rssProviderAgent>, is a bit heavy. I
            don't think I'm the only person who would like keeping up with RSS to be a
            little easier. I think it would be good if this type of discussion could go
            on and if a conclusion is reached, one person could post the details to
            RSSFAQ. RSSFAQ could write something up in plain English and publish it.
            Voila, we have a simple news service.

            Journalists are interested in RSS.
            e.g. Again without any effort on my part I've been contacted by two
            journalists about the FAQ I wrote two weeks ago. Last week it was written
            about in the print version of the Irish Examiner and today I was asked to do
            an interview on RSS for another Irish national newspaper.
            I think it would be good if we could maintain a list of contacts for the
            media, i.e. if you are a regional paper like the Irish Examiner and would
            like to speak with a Dublin based company you can contact Alis Marsden or if
            you are interested in RSS 0.93 Dave Winer would be the best person to speak
            to. RSSFAQ could be a friendly non-technical place where basic questions
            could be answered and journalists could be pointed in the right direction
            for further information.

            * Commercial Discussion

            I'm not suggesting that anyone use RSSFAQ to promote their own personal
            corporate goals because that would make in a pretty corrupt place. However
            most of us can't afford to have no corporate interests in life and there are
            lots of people here who have a commercial interest in RSS.
            e.g. I believe Jeff Barr's Headline Viewer will be a commercial product and
            I'm guessing that James Shaw's ASPRSS.com will be ad supported.
            I'm not sure how it would work, but I think we need to discuss how we can
            work in partnership with businesses to promote RSS.

            I realise this mail is already long so I'm not going to go on but to
            summarise I think we need to get a RSSFAQ.com website going and I think we
            need a place for non-technical discussions. Apart from anything else I
            think it is fair to say that people who are good at marketing, writing, PR,
            admin, translating and so forth are not always technical wizards and it
            would be nice to have a place to organise those types of jobs.

            Alis Marsden

            (2.50 am Dublin, Ireland)

            [3] http://www.purplepages.ie/RSS/index.html