Ximian Red Carpet uses an RSS 1.0 nearly-like

  • Edd Dumbill
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24 9:46 AM
      (cross posted to RSS-DEV, and Ximian Red Carpet mailing list)

      For those on RSS-DEV who don't know, Red Carpet is a new GNOME based
      package installer. For those on Red Carpet list who don't know, RSS 1.0
      is an XML/RDF application and community-led specification for
      representing "headline channels" like the News section in Red Carpet.

      While tinkering, I found Red Carpet made use of this file:

      http://red-carpet.ximian.com:8000/red-carpet.rdf

      This is very similar to RSS 1.0 <http://purl.org/rss/> but isn't quite.

      It would make some kind of sense for folks in each project to get to
      know each other--RSS 1.0 could benefit Red Carpet, and also Red Carpet
      could provide some valuable use-case input to RSS 1.0.

      cheers

      -- Edd

      --
      Edd Dumbill ----/ voice: +44 702-093-6870 fax: +44 870-164-0230 /----
      | Managing Editor, XML.com <http://xml.com>
      | Publishing Editor, XMLhack.com <http://xmlhack.com>
    • Aaron Swartz
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 25 6:58 AM
        Edd Dumbill <edd@...> wrote:

        > For those on RSS-DEV who don't know, Red Carpet is a new GNOME based
        > package installer. For those on Red Carpet list who don't know, RSS 1.0
        > is an XML/RDF application and community-led specification for
        > representing "headline channels" like the News section in Red Carpet.

        Thanks to Edd for helping bring us together. I'd be happy to lend assistance
        in getting Red Carpet up to 1.0 if need be, and we'd be happy to help with
        any problems you might have.

        I hope that we can work together,

        --
        [ Aaron Swartz | me@... | http://www.aaronsw.com ]
      • Rael Dornfest
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 25 1:35 PM
          Howdy,

          Kudos to Edd for discovering this common ground!

          I wrote this up in a Weblog at

          http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/183

          A nip and tuck and the odd rdf:about later had an RSS 1.0 version Red
          Carpet's parser shouldn't have any trouble chewing...

          --

          <?xml version="1.0"?>

          <rdf:RDF
          xmlns:rc="http://www.ximian.com/"
          xmlns="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/">

          <channel rdf:about="http://www.ximian.com/news/">
          <title>Ximian Red Carpet News</title>
          <link>http://www.ximian.com/news/</link>
          <description>Ximian Red Carpet News</description>

          <items>
          <rdf:Seq>
          <rdf:li resource="http://www.ximian.com/evolution/" />
          </rdf:Seq>
          </items>

          </channel>

          <item rdf:about="http://www.ximian.com/evolution/">
          <title>Ximian Evolution Snapshots Now Available Through Red
          Carpet</title>
          <link>http://www.ximian.com/evolution/</link>

          <rc:icon>http://redcarpet.ximian.com:8000/evolution-snapshot/common/channel-
          evolution.png</rc:icon>
          <rc:summary>Daily builds of Ximian Evolution and associated libraries
          are now available through Red Carpet.</rc:summary>
          <rc:channel>Evolution Snapshot</rc:channel>
          <rc:date>982708896</rc:date>
          </item>

          </rdf:RDF>

          --

          Anyone from Red Carpet care to give this a whirl?

          Rael