RE: [RSS-DEV] Re: Large RSS List XML Format (not OCS)...

  • Rael Dornfest
    Message 1 of 43 , Mar 9, 2001
      Howdy,

      > From: Chris Croome [mailto:chris@...]

      > > Two siblings are two objects who identify themselves as having the
      > > same parents.
      >
      > I guess this should be two objects which have _at least one_ shared
      > parent.

      Precisely; sorry if I wasn't clear.

      > > This is why my original threading sample module had only
      > > parent(s).
      >
      > Being able to specify parents is essential for things like email
      > threading -- follow-up messages are not able to amend their parents
      > to enable the parents to know that they have children.

      The immediate application I had in mind was discussion across newsgroup,
      email, Web discussion forums, Slashcode installations, etc.

      > As I said before if one is describing a whole web site in a sitemap
      > kind of way one only needs to specify either parents or children --
      > the home page is either a document without a parent or a document
      > that is not a child of another document, and so on.

      Brevity informs the use of parent rather than child since most things would
      have fewer parents than children.

      > I think that the proposed threading module [1] should have both
      > parents and children and perhaps siblings and that maybe it should
      > be a 'relationships module' as this seems to be a broader kind of
      > description and I suspect that people would end up using it for
      > things we have not dreamed of...

      We could just extend or borrow from dc:relation.

      Rael
    • Rael Dornfest
      Message 43 of 43 , Mar 9, 2001