Re: [RSS-DEV] Re: RSS 1.0 vs. RSS 0.9* (david@megginson.com)

  • Eric van der Vlist
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 5, 2001
      David Megginson wrote:

      > Nick Lothian writes:
      >
      > > > Users will find ways to use RSS 1.0 that you never expected (just as
      > > > Java ended up ruling the server side rather than the client side), but
      > > > they need time. Until then, your biggest goal should be to keep your
      > > > message simple. Don't confuse the users. New releases of anything
      > > > RSS 1.0-related are pure evil right now.
      > > >

      > > "Anything RSS 1.0 related" isn't pure evil. Software, tools, documents,
      > > websites and feeds are great. Just no more specs!
      >
      > Right -- and specifically, no more specs from this group. There's
      > nothing wrong with other parties publishing their own specs to work
      > with RSS 1.0, since those aren't likely to cause confusion.

      This is a tough question.

      On the other hand, if we end up with a number of different incompatible
      modules to do the same things, it will also be confusing.

      Maybe we need to find a place to keep track of these experiences with
      RSS 1.0 (a la CPAN) ?

      Eric (finding it very instructive to see that we are confronted to the
      same types issues -with another scale, of course- than the W3C with XML)

      > Besides,
      > if I were to define a new set of RDF properties, why would I limit
      > their use to RSS in the first place?

      Of course, you don't have to, but defining them as RSS modules gives you
      a format where RSS 1.0 core parsers can still find what they need.

      Thanks

      Eric

      > All the best,
      >
      > David
      >
      > --
      > David Megginson david@...
      > http://www.megginson.com/

      See you in Austin (Knowledge Technologies 2001)
      http://www.gca.org/attend/2001_conferences/kt_2001/mon.htm
      Eric van der Vlist Dyomedea http://dyomedea.com
      http://xmlfr.org http://4xt.org http://ducotede.com